Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Discussion
Question on mechanical retract&wire diameter

I have a set of mechanical retracts with wire size of .140 or 9/64 .I need to know if they will be strong enough to handle a Kyosha 50 size Focke Wulf fw190? I'm converting to e-power a "Lions model" Fw 190 Very close to Kyosha kit.An help would be great.This is the name of the retracts/company in case someone reconise it( Einziehfahrwerk).
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
958 Posts
What do you expect the total weight of the aircraft to end up?

I found as on my Harvard, (AT-6 Texan, 11.5 lb flying weight) not only the diameter of the wires are important, the quality is just as critical. The set of legs I purchased from Top Flite would bend on every landing, regardless of how careful I landed. The last one ripped out the retract, (the geometry on this one has the wheel travel aft and down on deflection, rather like a pole vaulter). Bending of the wire would prevent the gear from fully retracting and with a servo driven system this would bind the servo. There is nothing to prevent the servo from continuing to drive until it failed or pulled so much current the rest of the flight system suffered, (with inevitable results).

Your problem could be identical if a gear leg bent and prevented the gear from retracting or hung up on extension. Servoless retracts are a far better option now since along with being completely self contained and much simpler to install, they also have current sensing circuitry that shuts off the motor drive if the gear cannot finish a transit either way.

The end result is I just picked up another pair of Eflite 60-120 servoless retracts and Robart gear legs yesterday. The room left from the removal of the mechanical system and servo allows a route for the leads and a place to organize the wing system wiring much better.

p.s. For aircraft up to approx the 6 lb range, (2.7 Kg) the cost for servoless is very reasonable.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429