HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Discussion
Best methods of Thread Locking? Best types of threadlock?

I'd be interested in hearing all the different ways you guys threadlock fasteners, and advantages.disadvantages of different types of threadlocks?

These are a few methods I have used, and some of my personal notes.

1. Blue Locktite. This seems like the most popular of all. Only thing is I've heard many times that it can eat through plastic, so I really hesitate to use it in some situations. For right now I have a plastic quadcopter frame (bambucopter), I'm a bit hesitant to attempt blue locktite on it, since the screw goes through plastic into the motor, worried it might eat the plastic.

2. Foil Tape. I love foil tape for so many situations. Many times, as a quick and dirty method, I've put a piece of foil tape over a screw to keep it from backing out. The idea isn't necessarily that it will keep it at 100% tightness, but more that it will prevent the screw from falling out completely, and hopefully you'd have plenty of chance to notice if it was loosening, with plenty of chance of tightening. So far its worked good for me.

3. Teflon Tape or paste. I have not attempted this yet on an RC vehicle, but may try one day. I've used it in other situations many times, just wrap the bolt in teflon tape and it seems to give enough friction to hold it in place. Could be tough on tiny RC bolts, but may work without worrying about eating plastic.

Anyone have any input to add on experiences with these methods, or other good methods you know of to keep screws from vibrating loose?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
883 Posts
Blue locktite is the only thing I use on bolts. I cannot see the other methods, particularly teflon tape, are relevant to the small bolts involved in building helis and planes.

I will pass on a great method of applying locktite given by another forumite. Put some on a piece of plastic wrapping and then dip just the end of the bolt into the Loctite. This ensures you do not get too much on the bolt. I will also apply Loctite to a threaded hole with a toothpick.

I think a mistake some people make in buying Locktite is that they buy too bigger containers. Buy small amounts and often as once the bottle is opened it will start to go off.

Added..as tacx says next thread do not use Loctitre on plastic. I sometimes use UHU glue but most times with self tappers it is not necessary.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Last edited by Watdazit; Jun 21, 2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: More info agreeing with tacx
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,587 Posts
Do not use blue locktight anywhere near plastic or nylon. Ask me how I know. OK seeing that you asked. LOL

I used just a touch of Blue on four metal screws holding a electric motor bracket to a plastic motor mount. The screws went through the plastic mount and screwed into the metal motor bracket.

Left it overnight, and the next morning the motor and it's bracket actually fell off the plane onto the work bench. The Blue locker had turned the plastic into something on the order of toasted bread.

The areas around the screw holes just crumbled in my fingers.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,377 Posts
Nail polish. Great stuff for model airplanes and if you use the colored variety you can see where you've forgotten it. Dries very quickly. Not difficult to break loose if you have to. Great for buddies to make fun of your toolbox, a barrel of laughs but functional as it can be.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
If the bolt/ screw goes into plastic I use CA glue
Herman Munster is online now Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,077 Posts
Hheyyy RR, now the wife's going to be wondering where her nail varnish is going !
Trouble is if she finds I have it she might wonder what I do when I say I'm off to the flying field !!
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData