HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Question
Outrunner wont fit. Please help...

Hello everybody. I purchased an ST Model Piper J3 Cub and after getting it ready to fly it nosed over on takeoff and damaged the motor.

I read good reviews about the Emax CF2822 and so purchased one of those.

However i now notice that it wont be as easy to replace as i had hoped.

The original motor had three holes to attach in a triangle formation and the new CF2822 has four - which i think is the norm.

Please see the following pictures for a clearer explanation of my predicament...

Below we have the two motors, the new one on the left and original one on the right...

Here we have the nose of the J3, the white plastic screws onto the metal with the motor attached, however it wont fit my new motor

Pulling my hair out a little, as have spent much time looking for adaptors online but to no avail. Can anybody rescue me?

Thanks!
rcfocus is offline Find More Posts by rcfocus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,487 Posts
Unscrew the set-screws on the new motor mount and remove it. Tape it to your plastic mount making sure it's centered, mark new holes and drill them using the plastic mount as a template.

The new mount is aluminum and should drill easily.

I would say remove the old motor backing and install it on the new motor, but I can't tell from the pictures if they're the same diameter, but it doesn't look like it, but you should be able to test it easily.

The other option is to drill out the stock backing so it's diameter matches the new motor, but that's not as easily done if you're not handy with a drill press and centering.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Jun 20, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Unscrew the set-screws on the new motor mount and remove it. Tape it to your plastic mound making sure it's centered, mark new holes and drill them using the plastic mount as a template.

The new mount is aluminum and should drill easily.

I would say remove the old motor backing and install it on the new motor, but I can't tell from the pictures if they're the same diameter, but it doesn't look like it, but you should be able to test it easily.

The other option is to drill out the stock backing so it's diameter matches the new motor, but that's not as easily done if you're not handy with a drill press and centering.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping there would be an easier option, like an adaptor i could perhaps buy and use. However you're right, that would be the best way to go about making it fit, if nobody else can enlighten me i'll have a go with the drill. Thanks again
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Ok, i went down the "gaffer tape fixes everything" route

Motor seems very secure, the CF2822 really churns out some power too!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:54 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,487 Posts
Glad you got it worked out
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfocus View Post
Ok, i went down the "gaffer tape fixes everything" route

Motor seems very secure, the CF2822 really churns out some power too!
Are you saying that you taped the motor to the plane?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfocus View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping there would be an easier option, like an adaptor i could perhaps buy and use. However you're right, that would be the best way to go about making it fit, if nobody else can enlighten me i'll have a go with the drill. Thanks again
Sorry if this sounds negative but the suggestion of drilling new holes in the new motor mount to fit the white adapter is the best fix. If you don't have the capacity to drill the holes you might be in the wrong hobby.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Sorry if this sounds negative but the suggestion of drilling new holes in the new motor mount to fit the white adapter is the best fix. If you don't have the capacity to drill the holes you might be in the wrong hobby.

The hobby involves equal parts skill with hand and electric tools, understanding of electricity and electronics, basic mechanical skills and flying ability.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38