HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:36 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgez View Post
I just received my KK2 a couple of days ago and when I power it on I only get the LCD to light up. Anyone seen this before? I know it worked before because the first day I received I powered it up just to take a look at it and it look fine. I've scan the threads but couldn't find anything or I just missed it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have seen that sometimes. It is the first LCD initialization that fails after power up. The KK2 is still running. Press the menu button to get the LCD text to appear.

I will take a look at the code, and get it fixed.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:50 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
275 Posts
Hi guys,
Today I received my KK2 board. I want to put it in a flying wing.
I will write how I think that the connections should be and I ask you to correct me if I am wrong....
From the RX I connect the channels 1 and 2 to the AIL and ELE inputs of the board.Then I connect the channel 3 (THR) output of the RX to the THR input of the KK board. Then I connect the M1 output to the motor and M2 and M3 to the 2 servos of the flying wing....
My question is that I have to remove the red wire from the board Input THR and give 5v power only to M1 output of the board or I could leave it alone?
Thanks,
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:52 AM
Finland, Raahe
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
I have a quick question about the way this board manages the motors. I had a HK Control Board v3.0 in my Quad (X configuration) and the motors were utilized evenly. With this KK2.0 I've noticed that the motors M2 and the M4 are pushed way harder (spin noticeably faster) then the other two. The housing of the motors get quite hot while with the older board they didn't even get warm. Is this normal? The thing flies great with the new board but I'm afraid to lose those two motors in a short while.
Japala is online now Find More Posts by Japala
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:16 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
112 Posts
Hi Guys,

Been loathed to post this here but I'd welcome any advice and opinions(well almost any )

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697584

To save you looking at the other thread/video I have a basic x525 with a KK2 and some fpv gear. Been absolutely loving the board once I got it setup. Flying a couple of days ago and I experienced a sudden very rapid uncontrollable oscillation which resulted in a crash.
I checked the board still powered up and read okay at the time and that it read the Rx inputs as all okay. Since then I've been waiting for replacement props. Fitted them this morning and something is very wrong.
The quad was wildly unstable. On a low throttle, certainly well clear of lift off, you could hear the motors ramping up high and dropping down almost at random, not all together of course. Now I realise that to an extent that's exactly what gyro's should be causing to happen but this was a lot more than I'd have expected and long before the quad could be seen to move.
I've dialled back the settings, pitch and roll were 90/100/40/30 (no super fast esc's yet) and at that it had been really, really stable. Now I've taken all the I's down to zero, turned off height dampening and reduced P's to 60. At this I got it into the air but it was very unstable. Lowered to 50 and it's fliable but obviously not stabilising itself much at all. (this is all with self levelling off BTW)
Now the Rx inputs show spot on. The Gyro and acc outputs seem as before, certainly stable, reading okay and reacting to appropriate movements. The battery on the original crash was a long way from LVC and no settings had been changed since the previous successful flights.
So, any ideas what may have happened given that the quad is now exhibiting the same behaviour (at the same settings) as occurred during the crash? And more importantly anything else I can try, to restore function to what it was? Or is it just damaged in some way I can't cure
I had the quad originally on a KK for a while and was enjoying it but with the KK2 I feel it's a huge step forward for me and have been flying at almost every opportunity.
(Tbh I'd just order another bar the fact I've just started three weeks leave and it'll take that long to arrive!)

Thanks in advance,

Kev

I've been working through the tuning again as if from scratch as per the new guide but even at the starting settings it seems as though periodically one motor will lose power briefly, not always the same one, causing a diagonal dip (x setup) May re-install my original KK so that I can fly again but also as a last stage of fault finding

Okay had the same issues with the original KK board back in situ, so tried a different Rx, with the same again.
However e-calibrating the esc's seems to have worked. It's still a little bit wobbly but I've been testing in a breeze in a quite confined area so I'm thinking it's just turbulence. So fingers crossed it's problem solved. Still wondering if this effect was caused by the crash which was itself just caused by chaos theory. Anyway, if Hr Bakke is reading this ,... THANKYOU!!!!
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Last edited by Zagadka; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I have seen that sometimes. It is the first LCD initialization that fails after power up. The KK2 is still running. Press the menu button to get the LCD text to appear.

I will take a look at the code, and get it fixed.
Pressing any buttons won't work for me. I have to unplug M1 and plug it back in.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
401 Posts
Anyone have a good advice on how to make quad orientation easy to recognize while flying further away especially in bright white/blue sky ?

I crashed mine today because lost of orientation and hit the branches, thankfully it is up and flying again without damage thanks to stability of the KK2. I put almost full throttle while recovering and it self-leveled quickly, unfortunately it was too close to the ground while tumbling, but enough to safe the quad from damage as it landed leveled to the ground, only loose battery strap

I supposed crash is inevitable if you fly but happy to see how KK2 performs
rizky_p is offline Find More Posts by rizky_p
Last edited by rizky_p; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:23 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p View Post
Anyone have a good advice on how to make quad orientation easy to recognize while flying further away especially in bright white/blue sky ?

I crashed mine today because lost of orientation and hit the branches, thankfully it is up and flying again without damage thanks to stability of the KK2. I put almost full throttle while recovering and it self-leveled quickly, unfortunately it was too close to the ground while tumbling, but enough to safe the quad from damage as it landed leveled to the ground, only loose battery strap

Maybe like: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_450mm.html
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
I have flown helis for years so im used to oreienting with the tail boom. What works for me is a ping pong ball painted neon orange on about 18" of carbon rod extending from the back of the quad. I also have 2 orange balls at the rear Xs and 2 white balls at the front Xs, between all this its fairly easy to keep up with. The ball/rod assembly easily removes for close in flying when its not needed.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
@rizky_p
Fly down sun(sun at your back) and aids like those shown work well.
I use a heli canopy on my tri.
I use a small stress reliever ball on my quad. I might try a pingpong ball, as the rubber ball seems heavy.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,031 Posts
Quote:

FPV!!

Never and issue with orientation!

wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:

LED lights work great. In plain daylight when it's sunny, they aren't all that helpful, but on cloudy days they are a big help. And if you like to fly at dusk like me (Best time of the day to fly, IMO. Wind dies down and it's easier on the eyes), then a good set of LED lights makes perfect.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,031 Posts
LED's are a great aid in orientation

I second what Chris said above.

Just make sure you have different colours left to right and front to back

I normaly use Red LED's on the right front arm, Green LED's on the left front arm and Blue LED's on BOTH rear arms on my Quad or Tri

This gives me very good orientation

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Quote:

I had similar problems so purchased a strip of RED LEDs on the back of the frame. Made life alot easier
rumbey is online now Find More Posts by rumbey
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Who put that tree there?!?!
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Jan 2011
259 Posts
what are you using to attach the ping pongs. i have the x525 frame.
jabu32 is offline Find More Posts by jabu32
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,280 Posts
I got my DJI F330 perfectly tuned. The KK2 is absolutely awesome. Enjoy the video.

Best,
Chris

DJI F330 and KK2 Board (8 min 33 sec)
Site Sponsor