HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html

Can I use this to update the firmware? or think I have a cable to update from an old kk board, will that work?
Steveis beat me to it, but yeah thats the one I used.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz007 View Post
Iv already flashed the board to 1.5 , so do i flash it back to 1.4 of just send it back???
Send it back, even if you could get it fixed with a patch I would have low expectations that it would last.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:59 PM
United Kingdom, Higham
Joined Jul 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Send it back, even if you could get it fixed with a patch I would have low expectations that it would last.
cant remember if it came with 1.4 or 1.0 firmware so do i flach it back to 1.0 or leave it at 1.5 and return???

I know im a pain but thanks alot for your help m8
taz007 is offline Find More Posts by taz007
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
1,003 Posts
I have this cable from kk fc v5.5, if thats ok to use where do I plug it in?
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:27 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
I have this cable from kk fc v5.5, if thats ok to use where do I plug it in?
I used mine like that. It requires trimming the last two empty spaces off the plug to fit.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:53 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBAKER View Post
Hi Andrew,

I finally figured out there was no power (volts) to M2-M8 and my servo, plugged into M4 was not powered so not working. I knew that my sons T-copter that was working using three ESC with BECs was working and had been flying great, there had to be something missing, Which of course as you have indicated was a power supply to M2-8.

I hadn't read your post until after I had found a solution. I started by applying power to M1 and found that there was no power being supplied to M2-8 but if I plugged power into M2 I had power to M3-8.
My work around for powering M2-M8 was to plug a jumper from my Rx Battery/Bind port into M8, this put power to M2-M7 and I now have a working servo on M4 (Yaw control on my T-copter). So my sons T-copter has two ESC that put power to M2 and M3 supplying power to the rudder servo on M4, should we remove one of the power wires from one of these two?

My T-copter is flying but has a intermittent blip on the pitch channel which bumps the nose down a couple of degrees which you can both see and hear. I removed the signal wire from my jumper that supplies power to M2-M7 thinking that may have been causing it but that wasn't it. Any one have any ideas?? Should I remove the power wires from the two ESC on M2 & M3? I'll keep testing to see what removes the glitch and report back if or when I solve the problem.

Thanks for your help,

jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Hey Jim,

Glad you've got it all figured. The conventional wisdom is that if your ESC's have linear BEC's then you can leave them all plugged in. If they have switching BEC, then you need to have one for M1 and only one other on M2-8.

On my tricopter I used HK F20 ESC's and used all three of them stock, with all the wires.

It's in the KK2 manual. Some of the other SW type info has been superseded with the newer firmware, check the release notes for all the releases to get the whole picture. There are links in post #1 of this thread.

Good luck with getting it all going.

cheers,
Andrew
Thanks for the help with this Andrew. I also wanted to report the glitch has been resolved and what solved it. I had just routed the wires the best I could as I wanted to test this T-Copter out. The glitch was a blip on the pitch circuit which would bump the nose down several degrees at random times during the flight.
1- I tried removing the signal wire used in my power jumper wire from the Rx battery/bind port to M8 that powered the rudder servo, that did not solve the problem. 2- Next moved the Rx more to the rear, this kinda helped but did not eliminate the glitch. 3- I then change the power from the BEC that was plugged into the AUX on the Rx to M1, copying the channel 1 setting to M5 for the #1 motor. This did not help, still having the glitch hit at random times in a flight.
4- What solved the problem was routing all the wires away from the ESCs and main power wires, I have flown three 9 minute flights now and no glitches, Problem solved!
Hope that might help someone else with a similar problems.
Cheers,
jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teccer1234 View Post
... let me know if you think my settings are ok after looking at the vid

ray
Nice Ray. What camera are you using?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help with this Andrew. I also wanted to report the glitch has been resolved and what solved it. I had just routed the wires the best I could as I wanted to test this T-Copter out. The glitch was a blip on the pitch circuit which would bump the nose down several degrees at random times during the flight.
1- I tried removing the signal wire used in my power jumper wire from the Rx battery/bind port to M8 that powered the rudder servo, that did not solve the problem. 2- Next moved the Rx more to the rear, this kinda helped but did not eliminate the glitch. 3- I then change the power from the BEC that was plugged into the AUX on the Rx to M1, copying the channel 1 setting to M5 for the #1 motor. This did not help, still having the glitch hit at random times in a flight.
4- What solved the problem was routing all the wires away from the ESCs and main power wires, I have flown three 9 minute flights now and no glitches, Problem solved!
Cheers,
jb
That is an interesting diagnosis.
Way back when, I flew an old Roswell flyer quad. It ran brushed motors. The wires from the receiver to the flight board were unsheilded and there was so much "noise" hammering those wires that the quad was near un-flyable. The solution was most effective by using ferrite beads on the motor wires, more so than shielding the channel leads.

Maybe with ppm input into the board, the tollerance for "noise" and the chance for "noise" to have an impact is greater ???
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz007 View Post
Iv already flashed the board to 1.5 , so do i flash it back to 1.4 of just send it back???
As far as I know they all come with 1.2 installed, so if you are trying to restore it to original condition flashing it to anything other than 1.2 would be non-productive.

If HK knows that the firmware has been changed they might deny a warranty claim on the basis of it having been modified by the user. I do not believe they support any firmware upgrades, even though they sell the tool to do it. I would just send it back and hope for the best, or just order a new one and forget the warranty claim. It seems marginally worth the hassle for the amount of money and time involved.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
. . . It seems marginally worth the hassle for the amount of money and time involved.
Yes, I agree. At roughly $33 including S&H these boards are an insane bargain. I'm stunned everyday with the KK2 with 1.5.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Cheers,
jb
Thanks for sharing Jim.

Makes me wonder if I'm setting myself up for problems with my new "winter pack" Armattan CNC355 quad. All the electronics crammed into a soap box in the middle to keep it out of the snow.

Did my first test flights today with mixed results (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=761).

I think the problems were the cold and rusty fingers on the sticks (first flight since October ). However, given your experience I will now be watching very closely.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:04 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,527 Posts
I guess that's the fun Andrew... try something - learn something. Man I've been learning a lot lately. Lots of crashing, breaking props, drying snow covered parts but I feel like I'm really getting to know how to work on this quad. Thank goodness for all these helpful folks...
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:29 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
As I found out, having all +V wires connected on M2-M4 can lead to heat in one of the three ESCs, since a single BEC (the one with highest voltage) will supply the logic of all three ESCs.
Just a follow-up on this. I'm currently building a hex with Plush 12A ESCs. With all +V wires connected (to an old HK KK board), one of the ESCs reached 45C just sitting there powered up. The remaining five ESC was 27-28C. I will definitely disconnect them all and use an external BEC on this one, especially since the 12A ESCs are not exactly overkill in this application.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:32 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
282 Posts
Hi all, I've built a 450 quad with RCT 2217 800kv motors, HK F-30 ESC, 9x4,7 Gemfans and 4s3300mah lipo. AUW with RD32II and vtx 200mw is around 1200g.
The quad seems to fly pretty well but after tuning it remais with a verry slow wobble.....only on Roll axis and also some large oscilations on fast descents.........
I ran out of ideas for better tuning.........
Maybe someone can give me some hints.........

F450 quad Poligon Manastur (14 min 1 sec)

F450 quad zbor Dezmir pe vant, frig si noroi ... (4 min 27 sec)

F450 quad test 7 (4 min 42 sec)

F450 Quad zbor test 5 (3 min 48 sec)

F450 quad 8 (1 min 56 sec)
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Last edited by serjuro; Feb 19, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:10 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
870 Posts
Looks like you have the quad set up to fly in X config going by the camera, but your KK2 is mounted to fly in + config.
Senator315 is online now Find More Posts by Senator315