Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
93 Posts
Jrjr and Steveis,
You guys hit it right on the nose! Turned stick scaling up to 100 and voila the motors went to full throttle. I was thinking in terms of expo where no expo gives you complete control of the stick imputs. This is what I love about this hobby. Guys willing to help another guy with a problem just because. BTW this was about the fourth problem solved based on the information fom this thread. I'll be flying for sure as soon as this dern rain quits. Thanks,
Martin
Bhamflyer is offline Find More Posts by Bhamflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Whoa. Wait. I hadn't thought of that.

I recently rebuilt my F450 clone. Before, with 10" props, I had gobs of power. Then I went from X to +, flashed the KK2.0 to v1.5 FW, added LEDs, and SimonKed the ESCs. Now it's got no get up and go. It hovers at about 75% throttle, despite not being significantly heavier since the rebuild. I just noticed my throttle scaling is at 50.

I should get more range on the throttle with that set to 100, right? Or am I understanding this wrong?

[looks at charger to see if the batt is ready...]

EDIT: Wow. Turning the throttle stick scaling up to 100 gave me my quad back. It has POWER again. Hovers at 45% throttle now.

I can't believe I missed that. Doh!

Thank you. Forums rule.
5th is online now Find More Posts by 5th
Last edited by 5th; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
@KK2 gurus... Is there any downside to having all of the throttle range available on the throttle stick?
For example: You're in SL mode, you give it full gas and then there's a gust of wind. If the throttle is maxed out does the KK2 reduce throttle on the 'up' side to maintain level? Or do you need to reduce throttle before there is SL headroom available?
Would running Throttle Stick Scaling at 90 compensate with a little drop off in absolute oomph?
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
The servos I tried in ports M2-8 are just buzzing a bit. They stop buzzing when I am in the menu.
Sounds like you are using analog servos while output PWM rate is set to high. Try setting it to "low" (in mixer editor menu, I think it was located).

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
It is a whole lot easier and cheaper to make a simple tool to hold the buttons down hands free. I used a couple of old-fashioned wooden clothespins, modified to widen the jaw opening. My cost was zero because I borrowed the clothespins from the wife.
No need to, if using newer firmware, as there is a timeframe for pushing the buttons after powerup.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:49 AM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
Do you have a power source for M2-M8? Power from M1 BEC is isolated from the others
Yes, this is my case! I was plugging the BEC at M1.
Tried the BEC at M2 but nothing happens. KK2 doesn't start, neither does the Rx. (according to mmerry2 on youtube)

Also tried the other M3-M8, but nothing happens. The KK2 only works with the BEC at M1.

Can I just make a Y harness to power M1 and say M8 (to feed back to the servos) from the same BEC?

Thanks Jonesy!

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I'll have my ESC's bec connected to M1 for powering the KK2, and my (external) UBEC on M8 to power the servos. Would that be viable or will I fry anything?
cmavr8 is online now Find More Posts by cmavr8
Last edited by cmavr8; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Sounds like you are using analog servos while output PWM rate is set to high. Try setting it to "low" (in mixer editor menu, I think it was located).

Fred
Thanks, checked that last night, it wasn't the case...
TY

I also reset to factory defaults and only changed the motor layout but still no go..
Last edited by cmavr8; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:52 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
Quote:
On second thought, maybe I'll have my ESC's bec connected to M1 for powering the KK2, and my (external) UBEC on M8 to power the servos. Would that be viable or will I fry anything?
That is the correct way of doing it. But I assumed you already had power on the M2-M8? Servos don't buzz without power.
Anyway, on KK2, servos will not operate until you apply some throttle.

Fred
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:11 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
That is the correct way of doing it. But I assumed you already had power on the M2-M8? Servos don't buzz without power.
Anyway, on KK2, servos will not operate until you apply some throttle.

Fred
Ok, works like this! I hope it doesn't matter what I plug in first... I to plug the ESC+BEC that powers the KK2 board first.

So, the servos DO buzz without power! (to be clear: just a slight buzz. not the normal "can't find the spot" or stall buzz of a servo. Maybe some voltage is leaking through the KK2 board to the +V connector of the servos... dunno)

"on KK2, servos will not operate until you apply some throttle."
Can I change that without flashing OpenAero?
Having this on a glider, I need stabilization/autoleveling to always work, even without the motor running...

Thanks all for your help
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:35 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Can I change that without flashing OpenAero?
No, this can not be changed in current versions.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:03 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
No, this can not be changed in current versions.
Ok, I found a work-around, until my USBASP is here and I can use openaero:

I noticed that the servos start working before the motor starts.
So I set min throttle to 0, and then trimmed my throttle (on TX) up a bit.
Now at zero throttle stick, the servos etc work (M2-8) but the motor doesn't. When I throttle up everything seems to work OK

I believe the following has to change, especially #2 and #3!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post

Airplane use:

1: setup the TX as described in the manual.
2: Connect the motor ESC to the RX as ordinary.
3: Connect a BEC to output#8, to supply the servos. Leave output#1 unused.
4: Using the mixer editor, find and connect the servos to the other outputs.
5: If you need to reverse a function (aileron, elevator, rudder), negate all mixing values for that function on all servos that are used by that function.
6: If you need to reverse a servo, negate the mixing value for that function on the servo in question.
7: adjust the stick scaling to get the required stick response.
8: adjust the mixing values to change the throw.

I recommend setting the I gains to zero when testing.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2007
466 Posts
Hi,
Built my second quad..
DJI 330 Frame
KK2 Board 1.5FW
Turnigy plush esc's 30amp
SK3 2822 1275 KV motors

All settings done,and correct...subtrims to zero ...self leveling..reciver check..etc

On take off it wants to flip to the left......when i tried reversing yaw,it flips to the right...all motors are getting power to them,have tried each one individually,,
Have a second quad,almost the same..and have tried all the TX settings from that on other quad,and still the flip..so can only assume its the KK2 board settings..
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:06 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Hi,
Built my second quad..
DJI 330 Frame
KK2 Board 1.5FW
Turnigy plush esc's 30amp
SK3 2822 1275 KV motors

All settings done,and correct...subtrims to zero ...self leveling..reciver check..etc

On take off it wants to flip to the left......when i tried reversing yaw,it flips to the right...all motors are getting power to them,have tried each one individually,,
Have a second quad,almost the same..and have tried all the TX settings from that on other quad,and still the flip..so can only assume its the KK2 board settings..
Check the motor layout in the kk2 menu. It may be incorrect for your setup.
Steveis is offline Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 V1.17S1 Updated Firmware
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
No need to, if using newer firmware, as there is a timeframe for pushing the buttons after powerup.
?????

Where did you get that? The instructions in the manual have not been changed and this is the first I have heard that.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:32 AM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
KK2 arrived

Just wondering if the KK2 supplier is downsizing because employees must be going all out to keep their jobs. I'd seen pictures other have submitted where the solder job is so sloppy, but mine arrived with some of the best solder work I've seen in a while. Some assemblers must be trying to impress their boss. I haven't hooked it up yet, so hopefully the assembly was as good as the solder work. No complaints from me. Just trying to fit all the components and keep a good CG for flight. Shold be soon, I hope!

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall