Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Sucker born every minute
It was "sold" to Post4L, which is the guy I bought my HoverThings from who was running a Crius AIOP on it before I bought it. I highly doubt he was serious when he posted "I'll buy two" in Scam007's classified thread.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
870 Posts
Scratch built frame for our combined effort (COCO2010 and myself) called the OCTOTower.
It's basically two quads, a small one on top and a larger one on the bottom but only using a single KK2 in octo mode.
We didn't even know if it would work, so before I started building the frame, COCO2010 put two quads together from his spare parts bin and what do you know, it works, frankenstein flies, and well. COCO's Video here

The frame I've made is a lot larger (930mm bottom) to keep the top props away from the bottom props. Top is 360mm.
Basically there will be props creating thrust almost along the entire length, so no hole or calm spot in the middle like a traditional multirotor, which in theory should make it very stable (well I hope it does)

Any input is welcome, good or bad.

Pics below of the frame. Will do the electronics as time allows.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Senator315,

You may need to play with the motor mix some because of the differential arms; the short ( more responsive ) than the longer arms ( more leverage ). Good luck.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Scratch built frame for our combined effort (COCO2010 and myself) called the OCTOTower.
It's basically two quads, a small one on top and a larger one on the bottom but only using a single KK2 in octo mode.
We didn't even know if it would work, so before I started building the frame, COCO2010 put two quads together from his spare parts bin and what do you know, it works, frankenstein flies, and well. COCO's Video here

The frame I've made is a lot larger (930mm bottom) to keep the top props away from the bottom props. Top is 360mm.
Basically there will be props creating thrust almost along the entire length, so no hole or calm spot in the middle like a traditional multirotor, which in theory should make it very stable (well I hope it does)

Any input is welcome, good or bad.

Pics below of the frame. Will do the electronics as time allows.
what's your your guess on the all up weight? my 950 octo weighs just a bit over 5 lb. with a 4000ma pack on it and now you have got me thinking.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
iMultirotors
Joined Aug 2012
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Senator315,

You may need to play with the motor mix some because of the differential arms; the short ( more responsive ) than the longer arms ( more leverage ). Good luck.
Cheers mate, I figured I may have to, but thanks to all you guys, I'm now quite comfortable in all the KK2's settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead0207 View Post
what's your your guess on the all up weight? my 950 octo weighs just a bit over 5 lb. with a 4000ma pack on it and now you have got me thinking.
5 lb is 2.27Kg, that's pretty close to what I worked out it will weigh with a 4S 4500mAh, maybe a bit more, 2.5Kg (5.5lb)

EDIT.
The frame on it's own weights 460g, with the motors on it 980g. The ESC's are 230g and the lipo is 530g, plus I need to add the landing gear, the wiring and KK2, so lets say 300g for all that. Total is 2040g.
I've probably forgotten to add something, but I wanted it to be 2500g or less, which will be great with around 8Kg of thrust.
Last edited by Senator315; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Cheers mate, I figured I may have to, but thanks to all you guys, I'm now quite comfortable in all the KK2's settings.

5 lb is 2.27Kg, that's pretty close to what I worked out it will weigh with a 4S 4500mAh, maybe a bit more, 2.5Kg (5.5lb)

EDIT.
The frame on it's own weights 460g, with the motors on it 980g. The ESC's are 230g and the lipo is 530g, plus I need to add the landing gear, the wiring and KK2, so lets say 300g for all that. Total is 2040g.
I've probable forgotten to add something, but I wanted it to be 2500g or less, which will be great with around 8Kg of thrust.
at around 5.5 lbs you should have a great flying machine. My octo is no 550 quad but flys very nicely although it is a bit slower in response because of the weight.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karee2 View Post
Hi!

I found a video, and I would like to make it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYPyzQlelo

My problem, how I do not know the settings! (Radio + KK2 FC Board!)

Thanks Karl
The Radio is Spektrum DX8!

Thanks Karl
karee2 is offline Find More Posts by karee2
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
hello; i am using Turnigy plush 30A ESC's. and i don't have any fail safes. thanks for the warning about multistar. i was looking to use those on my next quad build. will research if others have had issues....
There is now an OPTO (no BEC) version of the MultuStar. I have some on order.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:28 PM
Quarry Rat
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Aug 2007
239 Posts
Is there perhaps a limit to what you can set the P and I gains?
AndreKotze is online now Find More Posts by AndreKotze
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:36 PM
iMultirotors
Joined Aug 2012
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKotze View Post
Is there perhaps a limit to what you can set the P and I gains?
Yes and no.
Your limit will be when you get oscillation, so there's no point going higher.

I tested up to P 1500 and it didn't get worse than say 200. Not sure why it lets you go so high as no one can use them.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
Quarry Rat
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Aug 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Yes and no.
Your limit will be when you get oscillation, so there's no point going higher.

I tested up to P 1500 and it didn't get worse than say 200. Not sure why it lets you go so high as no one can use them.
Thanks. I have on my tricopter my P gain set at 70. Anything higher and it will oscilate when banking hard. My I gain is currently at 150, but it's a bit bumpy when the wind picks up...
AndreKotze is online now Find More Posts by AndreKotze
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karee2 View Post
Hi!

I found a video, and I would like to make it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYPyzQlelo

My problem, how I do not know the settings! (Radio + KK2 FC Board!)

Thanks Karl
I don't think anyone have succeeded in making the KK2.0 controller work as an FBL controller in a helicopter (not even the guy that published the video that you linked to). I guess the vibrations will make it unflyable.
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RC911; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Is this KK board better than a NAZA?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
887 Posts
no, naza is best. DJI Ace One is good too. I just got a Phantom and it is so stable
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
no, naza is best. DJI Ace One is good too. I just got a Phantom and it is so stable
OK thanks!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)