Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
...as promised,hope you guys like it.

http://youtu.be/awmsTNfEoSs
Is there clearance to mount the bottom motors facing up? It may be a lawn mower on landings...
theothercliff is online now Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
...as promised,hope you guys like it.
Nice.

Do you fly indoors only? Those lower props look like they would make a good lawn mower.

I like the skids. What is the source for those?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Could you elaborate on that?

Kapteinkuk says that the "I" term is like a heading (or throttle position?) hold function, but there is no "I" on throttle.

Are you suggesting that the "I" value is too low, or too high? Which one (pitch/roll or yaw) and how do those affect throttle?
If it thinks it is not level, it will run one or more motors faster to make it level. If it doesn't become level, the I term will try harder and harder after a few seconds.

If opposite motors are running faster and faster that is possibly the I term trying to correct the yaw more and more too.
Last edited by theothercliff; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:50 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
Is it normal that if I connect al four motors to the fc, that nothing powers up, if I disconnect m2, everything does start up?

I've got all bec wires still hooked up, the manual says that is not a problem....
Sounds like M2 ESC's BEC is bad. I would test it out of circuit. With just a battery connected to it, check the voltage on the servo connector to see if it is correct. Compare it to the other ESC BEC voltages. If correct, test it directly connected to a junk receiver to see if it works.

Do any of these ESC's have switching BEC's? General testing here has it that switching BEC's don't like to be connected together. I have not verified this.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:02 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention that. I do have two antennas. I just found that when using the other receiver with one up and next to the esc power wires it just killed it, so it could have just been the esc wires. I usually keep my tx antenna sideways just to keep it out of the way. I usually fly right in front of me and not far away, but even then the vertical next to the esc just killed it for me. I only mentioned sideways since it's hard to do it otherwise on a quad with all those props turning and taping them seems to be the best way not to chop them off, but I tried to go about 90 degrees so on two legs since I can't really go any other way where I have the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Based on the way antennas work, it would be my guess that if you have only one receiver antenna, that it should be vertical and your transmitter antenna should also be vertical. Reception is greatly reduced when either antenna is lies along the line between transmitter and receiver. If you mount the receiver antenna horizontally, you will have greatly reduced reception whenever it is pointed straight at you. If mounted vertically, it is only pointed straight at you when it is straight overhead or in loops or sharp banked turns.

If you have two receiver antennas, mount them both horizontal, at 90 degrees to each other, and orient your transmitter antenna horizontally.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,307 Posts
OctoTOWER

Quote:
Is there clearance to mount the bottom motors facing up? It may be a lawn mower on landings...
Got 2" props to the ground... does not bother me. Not for grass take off and landings.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: cynr100
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,307 Posts
OctoTOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Nice.

Do you fly indoors only? Those lower props look like they would make a good lawn mower.

I like the skids. What is the source for those?
I usually do my test/maiden flight video on my garage for YT. I do fly outdoors but for now I have no GoPro yet so I have no video flying outdoors.
I got the skids from RcCarmax.com ,it's a T380 landing skid.
....thanks for the idea,I will be mowing my lawn next weekend when my CF props comes in.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: cynr100
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
What could cause this hickup 20 seconds into the video below?
was flying FPV yesterday and the quad was about 150 yards away.

i have already swapped out the RX (for turnigy 9X). This problem was alot worse before i positioned the RX antenna vertically on the quad.

The transmitter is highest on my suspicion list...could it possibly be the KK2? i have had a pretty bad wreck onto cement before.

http://youtu.be/Irbw-herYAc
What ESC's are you using? I have read a few posts of this problem and not with just KK2's. Tx Rx issues with any type of aircraft generally result in more than just a momentary throttle drop and the further you fly the worse it will become. Do you have a Fail Safe setting for throttle?
I, as did others, had the same issue with the Multistar brand of ESC, in my case the problem just went away but the suspect esc did eventually and for no apparent reason, output 12v from the BEC, fortunatly I caught it quickly befoer it fried my MWC. Weather a momentary increase in BEC output voltage caused the throttle drop... I dont know but if you are using Multistar's? it is somthing you might want to look at.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
You have answered your own question. It got better with a better receiver antenna placement.

Vertically up or vertically down? I would guess that vertically down would be best.

Imagine the copter in the air where it was when you got the glitch. Imagine it also pointed in the same direction it was pointed. Imagine you on the ground with the transmitter. Was there anything on the copter that was between the receiver antenna and the transmitter antenna at that angle? Like a battery or a metal/carbon plate?
i see what you are getting at. The antenna is vertically placed on top of the quad. so in the instance/position/angle where the quad glitched in the video, i have a wide 2650 lipo on the bottom of the quad that would exactly cover the antenna...as well as partial piece of KK2 board in the way, two glass fiber chasis plates, and a crapload of wires
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
What ESC's are you using? I have read a few posts of this problem and not with just KK2's. Tx Rx issues with any type of aircraft generally result in more than just a momentary throttle drop and the further you fly the worse it will become. Do you have a Fail Safe setting for throttle?
I, as did others, had the same issue with the Multistar brand of ESC, in my case the problem just went away but the suspect esc did eventually and for no apparent reason, output 12v from the BEC, fortunatly I caught it quickly befoer it fried my MWC. Weather a momentary increase in BEC output voltage caused the throttle drop... I dont know but if you are using Multistar's? it is somthing you might want to look at.
hello; i am using Turnigy plush 30A ESC's. and i don't have any fail safes. thanks for the warning about multistar. i was looking to use those on my next quad build. will research if others have had issues....
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
KK 2.0 Initializing Question

I have the firmware version 1.5 and i'm wondering, do i have to initialize my board on a level surface every time I want to fly? it seems that it doesn't fly level in auto level and I calibrated it on a perfectly level surface.
Scratch_Built is offline Find More Posts by Scratch_Built
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
hello; i am using Turnigy plush 30A ESC's. and i don't have any fail safes. thanks for the warning about multistar. i was looking to use those on my next quad build. will research if others have had issues....
No worries, it was worth a shot. I will be keen to follow this one and find out if you solve the problem.

Cheers.
Pete.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch_Built View Post
I have the firmware version 1.5 and i'm wondering, do i have to initialize my board on a level surface every time I want to fly? it seems that it doesn't fly level in auto level and I calibrated it on a perfectly level surface.
It doesn't need to be level for every start up and if you search this thread for acc calibration you will find heaps of info on the subject, you can chose which method works best for you.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:48 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Switch Self Level off, hover it, and use transmitter trims to adjust for level flight.

Now hover it with Self Level on, and do not touch the transmitter trims with Self Level on, instead land and adjust KK2 -> Self Level -> ACC trims (I forget exactly what they are called). Repeat till Self Level is trimmed.

The Sensor Calibration is a one time thing that gets you in the ball park for Self Level trim. The KK2 Self Level ACC trims fine tune the Self Level trim and are what you use whenever Self Level needs trimming to fly level.

Other than that, you need your aircraft to be very motionless when you arm it so the gyros can calibrate. It is my understanding that it does not have to be level then, just motionless. Holding it in your hand is not good enough. It needs to be on the ground to be perfectly motionless.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
I do not think it needs to be recalibrated for every session but as a precaution I have been doing mine following particularly hard "landings".

It takes less than a minute so if in doubt, do it.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave