Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 AM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Hi all,

My Hexcopter setup with KK2.0 fw 1.5 flies fine before I put a camera gimbal weighs around 500grams(including a gopro). My throttle control becomes bouncy. Feels like I have a positive exponential. All other controls are fine. What's wrong?! What should I tune?
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYORD View Post
Hi all,

My Hexcopter setup with KK2.0 fw 1.5 flies fine before I put a camera gimbal weighs around 500grams(including a gopro). My throttle control becomes bouncy. Feels like I have a positive exponential. All other controls are fine. What's wrong?! What should I tune?
Reduce P-Gain. If you are not using high-rate (Simon-flashed) ESCs you might need to go as low as 20. Also try stick scaling on Throttle. Default is 90. Try values between 60 and 80.

Those suggestions are based on my personal experience. I do not have as much of it as some of the guys here.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:28 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
If it flies fine without the camera and gimbal and does not with it on, I think you answered your own question. The gimbal is either too heavy or shifts the balance so far out of whack.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:43 AM
☢ ɴᴏᴏʙ ☢
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2012
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseo54 View Post
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??

Need some help.... Went flying with my quad 2 days ago... Today I unplugged the motor /esc leads going to the kk2 to reposition the board on a different spot on my quad. I hooked the motor leads back up in same position. Now my quad flips forward every single freaking time I even think about using the throttle!

I re-calibrated the esc's a gazillion times... Checked receiver setting on kk2 and my dx6i....reset acc... Reset to stock settings..... Tried to dial in pi setting... Used my original pi settings... I did all this a million times and my quad still flips violently forward! All because I unplugged and plugged back in the motor /esc leads??

I've had a couple of kk2's before and this has never happened before. My ailerons and rudder are always set to reverse for my kk2's....I even tried switching them, but again no luck..... Again all directions for receiver are correct when showed on kk2.

Again all i did was unplug and plugged back in my esc/motor leads to the kk2. Any solutions? Bad board? Trash it? Start using a different FC? I'm dumbfounded as to why it's doing this!

Thanks for your help!
happened to me once long time ago...
1. check back your PWM inputs from M1-M4 make sure the connection is correct... if u plug these pins wrong, your quad will flip
2. also check your AIL, ELE,THR,RUD & AUX connection
trinco is online now Find More Posts by trinco
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, and help.... I'm telling you guys the only thing I did was unplug the leads than plug them back in. They are color coded. I did not even unplug the servo leads, so they can't even be mixed up. I have a short video of the receiver test... I'll put up a video showing you guys step by step that everything is correct later today.

All I did was raise the fc higher with standoffs. I'll post pics and hopefully a video.
Thanks again, guys.
Maseo54 is offline Find More Posts by Maseo54
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
I would suggest that you swapped M1 and M3 or misconnected a receiver channel or have SL off or on (backwards from before). Wrong prop or direction on front motor?

What happens if you hold full back stick while giving throttle?

What does it do if you remove props and test the sticks with partial power that way?

Oh, I see that you copied settings and tried to restore. Did you load the correct motor configuraton?
Yes, X mode. Still flips forward. What do you mean by sl?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seibernator View Post
How far away from CG have you moved the KK2? Have you oriented it correctly on your quad - with buttons facing the rear? Are you sure you have plugged the ESC's back in the KK2 correctly? Have you re-calibrated the ACC?

Have you tried a fresh model on your TX in case of any old mixes? Have you plugged in the correct channels from your RX to the KK2? Did you remove the props to move the KK2 and if so are you sure you have put them back on properly and not up-side-down?

It will something silly like this - we have all done it.
I have tried everything except to see if props are on upside down and try are resetting my tx from scratch... I'll let you know how it went later today
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
You plugged it in wrong. As others have noted start with the basics, show motor layout and confirm all wiring is correct. Flip on takeoff is almost always bad motor layout or improper ESC connections, especially if it was working before. You can also test by taking it off idle throttle ( motors spinning ) and push in various directions to see how it reacts on the ground.

If you are positive that everything is right then I would look at vibrations, can we see a picture of this quad?
I use Skywalker Quattro esc's on my builds. The connections are color coded. Same order plugged in. I'll post pics later today.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:01 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseo54 View Post
I use Skywalker Quattro esc's on my builds. The connections are color coded. Same order plugged in. I'll post pics later today.
Pics and some clarifications. Does it flip on takeoff, or just after applying aggressive throttle? I know you don't think you changed anything, but trust the community here when we say you have you layout wrong, I've done it myself.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:58 AM
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined May 2004
115 Posts
How do I set motor idle so when board is armed motors are rotating at low rpm? (like minthrottle on MW).
I can set an heli program on tx and play with throttle curve but it would be easier by a setting on KK2 software.
BTW Im on 1.4 fw.
Afonsos is offline Find More Posts by Afonsos
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afonsos View Post
How do I set motor idle so when board is armed motors are rotating at low rpm? (like minthrottle on MW).
you cant.
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:30 AM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
If it flies fine without the camera and gimbal and does not with it on, I think you answered your own question. The gimbal is either too heavy or shifts the balance so far out of whack.
I really doubt it's the weight. Because each of my motor can lift over 1Kg. AUW with the gimbal & gopro is only around 3.5Kg. We intended to use this with a DSLR. We just used gopro for testing.
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afonsos View Post
I can set an heli program on tx and play with throttle curve but it would be easier by a setting on KK2 software.
BTW Im on 1.4 fw.
Try increasing the Minimum Throttle setting. Default is 10%. However, I don't think you can be sure that all of the motors will start at the same time or run at the same rpm even with SL turned off.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:48 AM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
5x 2200 3s

5 x 2200 3s (11000 mAh) on HEX with many XT60 and lots of LED (11 min 56 sec)
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:22 AM
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined May 2004
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Try increasing the Minimum Throttle setting. Default is 10%. However, I don't think you can be sure that all of the motors will start at the same time or run at the same rpm even with SL turned off.
I've tried that,motors wont run until throttle stick is moved.
Seems an heli mode is the way to go.
Hope Kaptain includes idling motors on future fw,its a bit dangerous for novices but usefull for flips n rolls
Afonsos is offline Find More Posts by Afonsos