HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:19 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
2,997 Posts
Thanks. No I have not set up any dual rates. I'll double check though as I'm just starting to use the open9x firmware, but it did the same thing with the futuaba and I did not set that one up with dual rates either. So two different transmitters too. All the settings I left at their defaults, I even reset the board when I change tx/receiver just to make sure. I'll check the sticks like you mentioned. I'm sure I did that took, but it won't hurt to check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
Have you set up your transmitter to use expo (dual rates) on the aileron channel? If configured incorrectly you could get this kind of behavior that you describes.

One test you can do is to study the aileron value in 'Receiver test' on your KK2.0 as you slowly move the stick left and right. It should normally move from zero to 100 and -100 at a steady rate (i.e. linear) unless you're using expo.

Also check your stick scaling value for aileron in the KK2.0 menu.
efx is online now Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:24 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSF View Post
:
Or, he could be working to build drones to use to kill people.
:
Hard to imagine that anyone would build a drone and use it to kill people. Maybe it's ok if it's used for good instead of evil...

ps: I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful RobertSF. It's just that I choke on the idea, not much sympathy for any of it.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:34 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
@efx
Did you get your quad sorted out with its random flipping due to motor cutouts?
I've had a similar experience on my Tri. If I waggle Roll left and right or add throttle too aggressively from a hover one arm drops and, thus far, never recovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehssan View Post
here are some of my video samples:
Interesting.

Did you get your flipping fixed? Could be Low Voltage Cutoff in the ESC's (LVC must be disbled or set to nicad) or ESC/motor timing problems (do some motors stop suddenly during acceleration?) or RC radio problems (antenna shadowing at certain angles in flight) or loose power wiring or loose motor wiring.

While you are checking your ESC settings (for timing and LVC in unflashed ESC's), make sure the startups are "normal" not "soft".

LVC problems are apparent if it happens a lot more if you start with a half charged battery.

Vibration can cause gyro problems or loose motor or prop.

Setting gains (P I D) too high can cause oscillations. Sometimes the oscillations don't start until you move quickly.

Can you strap it down and run it at flight power and get anything strange to happen (one motor stop suddenly)? What happens if you switch the transmitter off?

One last thing. It may be that KK2 flipping and dropping are caused by the same thing. The difference being that a well tuned KK2 (maybe with flashed ESC's for even faster response) might be turning the flip into a drop by trying to keep it level.

Good luck!
theothercliff is online now Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:42 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
2,997 Posts
I'll change that on the esc's to nicad or the other setting once I get my new items as I have a bent shaft now on one motor. I already have the timings at normal start up as you suggested before. The antenna is fine now as I tested that, that was my fault at first I think since I tied it to the esc wires or maybe it was just the other radio not working correctly. I fly it very close so that should not be a problem, maybe 10 to 20 feet away. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Interesting.

Did you get your flipping fixed? Could be Low Voltage Cutoff in the ESC's (LVC must be disbled or set to nicad) or ESC/motor timing problems (do some motors stop suddenly during acceleration?) or RC radio problems (antenna shadowing at certain angles in flight) or loose power wiring or loose motor wiring. On the new tx with frsky, when I turned the tx off the motors stayed on, so I rebound the rx just to make sure there was no failsafe, but haven't been able to test after that. So I'll update once I get a chance to do some more testing. Still waiting for the parts so that may be a little while.

While you are checking your ESC settings (for timing and LVC in unflashed ESC's), make sure the startups are "normal" not "soft".

Vibration can cause gyro problems or loose motor or prop.

Can you strap it down and run it at flight power and get anything strange to happen (one motor stop suddenly)? What happens if you switch the transmitter off?

Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D Printers
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:48 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
EFX: I was editing as you were replying!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
I just build my first hexa with a Kk2 board I got from a friend.
It flies, well let's say ordinary.
I believe you will see a big improvement after you update to 1.5.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:11 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
2,997 Posts
LOl...no vibrations as I make sure I tighten those nice and snug. I always make sure I charge my batteries before I go out to fly, just don't need that headache of not having them charged. As for the settings, I just use the defaults. I think you're right, the flip and drop I think have to do with the same thing. So far I'm going through each item very carefully to make sure that at least the hardware is doing what it's supposed to be doing. I always like to make sure that part of the quad or helis is nice and tight so nothing comes lose. I don't meant glued together but just solid so I can focus on the tx and settings out there. There are many things going on so I like to minimize them as much as I can. I know you can't get everything, but at least I try to keep that to a minimum. Once I get it dialed in I may play with the settings a bit more. Assuming I can get that far. By the way, my esc's are not flashed to anything. I just used them as they came with their original programming. I really don't want to mess with any more flashing...I'm still trying to learn the open9x and companion 9x so at least I can get a bit more out of them. I'm liking what I can do, but my brain is getting a bit too much information with all the different things going on with the different components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
EFX: I was editing as you were replying!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D Printers
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:35 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Sep 2012
124 Posts
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??

Need some help.... Went flying with my quad 2 days ago... Today I unplugged the motor /esc leads going to the kk2 to reposition the board on a different spot on my quad. I hooked the motor leads back up in same position. Now my quad flips forward every single freaking time I even think about using the throttle!

I re-calibrated the esc's a gazillion times... Checked receiver setting on kk2 and my dx6i....reset acc... Reset to stock settings..... Tried to dial in pi setting... Used my original pi settings... I did all this a million times and my quad still flips violently forward! All because I unplugged and plugged back in the motor /esc leads??

I've had a couple of kk2's before and this has never happened before. My ailerons and rudder are always set to reverse for my kk2's....I even tried switching them, but again no luck..... Again all directions for receiver are correct when showed on kk2.

Again all i did was unplug and plugged back in my esc/motor leads to the kk2. Any solutions? Bad board? Trash it? Start using a different FC? I'm dumbfounded as to why it's doing this!

Thanks for your help!
Maseo54 is offline Find More Posts by Maseo54
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:44 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
5,326 Posts
does the fc position change move it farther from the centre of cg than it was before ,I was told before that having it over the axis of the cg is best for its centering and gyro calculations when it detects a change

but I'm new, so if the only thing that has changed is that, try moving it to where it was before
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:21 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
I would suggest that you swapped M1 and M3 or misconnected a receiver channel or have SL off or on (backwards from before). Wrong prop or direction on front motor?

What happens if you hold full back stick while giving throttle?

What does it do if you remove props and test the sticks with partial power that way?

Oh, I see that you copied settings and tried to restore. Did you load the correct motor configuraton?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:21 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseo54 View Post
Today I unplugged the motor /esc leads going to the kk2 to reposition the board on a different spot on my quad.
Orientation of the board is unchanged?

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:34 AM
***** on a stick
United Kingdom, England, Solihull
Joined Sep 2011
64 Posts
Quote:

Need some help.... Went flying with my quad 2 days ago... Today I unplugged the motor /esc leads going to the kk2 to reposition the board on a different spot on my quad. I hooked the motor leads back up in same position. Now my quad flips forward every single freaking time I even think about using the throttle!

I re-calibrated the esc's a gazillion times... Checked receiver setting on kk2 and my dx6i....reset acc... Reset to stock settings..... Tried to dial in pi setting... Used my original pi settings... I did all this a million times and my quad still flips violently forward! All because I unplugged and plugged back in the motor /esc leads??

I've had a couple of kk2's before and this has never happened before. My ailerons and rudder are always set to reverse for my kk2's....I even tried switching them, but again no luck..... Again all directions for receiver are correct when showed on kk2.

Again all i did was unplug and plugged back in my esc/motor leads to the kk2. Any solutions? Bad board? Trash it? Start using a different FC? I'm dumbfounded as to why it's doing this!

Thanks for your help!
How far away from CG have you moved the KK2? Have you oriented it correctly on your quad - with buttons facing the rear? Are you sure you have plugged the ESC's back in the KK2 correctly? Have you re-calibrated the ACC?

Have you tried a fresh model on your TX in case of any old mixes? Have you plugged in the correct channels from your RX to the KK2? Did you remove the props to move the KK2 and if so are you sure you have put them back on properly and not up-side-down?

It will something silly like this - we have all done it.
seibernator is offline Find More Posts by seibernator
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:09 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your help!
You plugged it in wrong. As others have noted start with the basics, show motor layout and confirm all wiring is correct. Flip on takeoff is almost always bad motor layout or improper ESC connections, especially if it was working before. You can also test by taking it off idle throttle ( motors spinning ) and push in various directions to see how it reacts on the ground.

If you are positive that everything is right then I would look at vibrations, can we see a picture of this quad?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Last edited by brontide; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:24 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,115 Posts
I always label my ESC leads 1-4 etc to match motor position, that way you cannot get it wrong if you unplug leads and then plug them back in.

It is easy to do especially if ESC's are mounted and wires routed between plates etc.

Connect each ESC in turn to a seperate Rx and check what you think is motor 1 ESC, is in fact the ESC connected to Motor 1.

As all you did was unplug and plug back in after moving the board, common sense dictates you plugged in wrong positions.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:57 AM
Custom Multirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
763 Posts
Agree with everyone else, you've plugged it in wrong.

For the people that think the FC needs to be at CG, it doesn't.

Good eg is my jet copter (pic attached) . The FC couldn't be further from CG yet it flies perfect.

If you wanna see it fly Click here
Senator315 is online now Find More Posts by Senator315