HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
@efx
Did you get your quad sorted out with its random flipping due to motor cutouts?
I've had a similar experience on my Tri. If I waggle Roll left and right or add throttle too aggressively from a hover one arm drops and, thus far, never recovers. I've been sort of lucky that it never happened high up but a low landing on concrete isn't really lucky either.
The ESCs, frame and motors have all been crashed 3 times (once seriously - killed a kk2), this board twice (never seriously).
I thought it might be a connection issue at the ESCs/KK2/RX but I've since glued them as a block so they're either all connected or all disconnected and it still happens and only front L or front R motor. Never the rear.
ESCs are F30A with SimonK.
9047 props on NTM1200KVs

Next test is to strap it to a chair and provoke it...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:34 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteuz View Post
These were the setting before i dropped it on the floor.

free image hosting

Now its like this..

free image hosting
OK, it wasn't the lock fuse then.
Steveis is offline Find More Posts by Steveis
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
227 Posts
I just build my first hexa with a Kk2 board I got from a friend.
It flies, well let's say ordinary.
After 2 hrs reading this thread turns out I must have old firmware.
Mine still shows the esc calibration in the menu, so before 1.2.
Is there anywhere a step by step explanation on how to upgrade the firmware to 1.5 and which hardware/ software I need.
I apologise, I know that the answer is somewhere in this thread, and I found some bits and pieces, but it's hard to find the right answer in over 10000 posts!
Thanks
hollgi is offline Find More Posts by hollgi
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:23 AM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526042
Flash dear boy
Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:48 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
I just build my first hexa with a Kk2 board I got from a friend.
It flies, well let's say ordinary.
After 2 hrs reading this thread turns out I must have old firmware.
Is there anywhere a step by step explanation on how to upgrade the firmware to 1.5 and which hardware/ software I need.
I apologise, I know that the answer is somewhere in this thread, and I found some bits and pieces, but it's hard to find the right answer in over 10000 posts!
Thanks
KK2 Multicopter Controller firmware update using USBASP on Windows 7 Computer (10 min 51 sec)
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Ehssan - I am sorry for your predicament, but people need to know that there are export restrictions and legal consequences at least for Americans who send electronics to Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehssan View Post
Dear friend

Thanks for your great answer but my problem is not the price of products. I can not access to them because I am in Iran and I can't order stuff from other countries via internet(we can't have visa card in Iran ). The only way is someone buy them and bring to me (my friends) but I don't have one now
I do my best to have those and do what you say.

Great thanks

Regards
RobertSF is offline Find More Posts by RobertSF
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
Hollgi - when you first put power to the KK2, the LCD will show the firmware version. It's only up for a moment then it goes to the main display, but it's there.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSF View Post
Ehssan - I am sorry for your predicament, but people need to know that there are export restrictions and legal consequences at least for Americans who send electronics to Iran.
When the friend who brought him the KK2 comes again next time he can bring a programmer... just hope for his sake that his friend comes again soon.
And I thought the Japanese could be kill joys but at least they usually (though not always) actually have decent reason for it (safety).
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Thwaitm, I did not accuse Ehssan of anything but the fact is that the Iranian government is sponsoring terrorism and is trying to get hold of technology. It isn't just the USA that has export controls in place to prevent technology flow to Iran that could possibly facilitate those efforts.

For your information, the UK, Australia, Canada, and even Japan have export controls in place for technology to Iran. I'm sure many others do as well.

I didn't make the rules. I am just alerting others that shipping anything to Ehassan could possibly be a violation of your country's export controls to terror-supporting countries. Ehassan could be and probably is a fine person who is in a bad situation. Or, he could be working to build drones to use to kill people.

You should do whatever you think is best and according to the laws of your own country. But I would certainly advise finding out what the laws are if you are inclined to ship him a programmer.

Is it really being a killjoy to keep someone else here on these boards from possibly facing government actions because they acted in kindness and ignorance of the reality of the world situation?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 PM
Iran, Tehran, Tehran
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSF View Post
Thwaitm, I did not accuse Ehssan of anything but the fact is that the Iranian government is sponsoring terrorism and is trying to get hold of technology. It isn't just the USA that has export controls in place to prevent technology flow to Iran that could possibly facilitate those efforts.

For your information, the UK, Australia, Canada, and even Japan have export controls in place for technology to Iran. I'm sure many others do as well.

I didn't make the rules. I am just alerting others that shipping anything to Ehassan could possibly be a violation of your country's export controls to terror-supporting countries. Ehassan could be and probably is a fine person who is in a bad situation. Or, he could be working to build drones to use to kill people.

You should do whatever you think is best and according to the laws of your own country. But I would certainly advise finding out what the laws are if you are inclined to ship him a programmer.

Is it really being a killjoy to keep someone else here on these boards from possibly facing government actions because they acted in kindness and ignorance of the reality of the world situation?
Robert,

First of all I didn't ask anyone to bring or ship it to me. The second thing is that we are talking about KK dongle board which is not an advance equipment. much more advanced multirotors such as DJI S800 and mikrokopter are available in Iran. but for some reason they just don't import kk boards, but I can easily order one in hobby shops here. the only difference is that it gonna take much longer to get it (around 3 months). I already have 6 heavy lift multirotors, so If I want to do anything I am already capable of it. this one is only for fun. finally please don't bring politics into a simple hobby, no government cares about these matters.
here are some of my video samples:
Mikrokopter Dodeka XL (0 min 37 sec)

Fall 2012-13 (4 min 10 sec)

Milad Tower (4 min 1 sec)
Ehssan is offline Find More Posts by Ehssan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
Great job Ehssan. Very clear and stable picture.
handy_andy is offline Find More Posts by handy_andy
Last edited by handy_andy; Feb 05, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Hi Ehssan,

I must have misunderstood when you said the only way you could get a programming board was if someone bought it and brought it to you.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it isn't your definition of advanced equipment that matters. It is the definition used by the government of any country where someone was to ship something to you.

I was just saying that people need to check their own laws. I am not saying you would do bad things with anything anyone sent you or that any hardware isn't for the most part trivially important to drone manufacture.

I apologize for this topic taking the thread off topic and won't contribute any more to this topic. I didn't mean to offend you. I only wanted to raise awareness that unfortunately there can be issues and consequences if anyone sends electronics to you and their country has laws in place against it.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Sorry, I still have not. I'm waiting for my 1100kv motors but since you have 1200kv's, I'm guessing that won't make too much of a difference if it's not the motors. In any case I am using four different esc's too but still got the same thing. I'll update once I get those items in and test again as am also waiting for new props. Same size, but I bent one so that could affect it. What firmware version do you have. I got 1.4, so that will be the next thing I may also try and move up to the 1.5 to see if that helps too before flying high. Maybe strapping it down and testing it may help see what else it's happening. Sorry I can't be much help at the moment. Let me know what you do find if anything. If worst comes to worst I'll just stop using this board, assuming I can't get it stable to where it doesn't flip on it's own every time I move the aileron too fast and leave it alone until I read more about others. So far I've changed quad kit as I had the spare, esc's, receiver/transmitter, props and now only have the motors and board to look at. My current motors still seem to work fine though. I'm also moving from 30amp esc's to 40amp esc's and know that many use 20amp esc's without problems, so I really don't see those items as problems right now as I made the esc changes according to the settings suggested here. I've been keeping it as simple as possible, but yes, that's getting pretty annoying, only because I don't want it to fall on anything or anyone, or just break anything again. My helis are all grounded too, waiting for parts as well, so I'm taking a break from it all you can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
@efx
Did you get your quad sorted out with its random flipping due to motor cutouts?
I've had a similar experience on my Tri. If I waggle Roll left and right or add throttle too aggressively from a hover one arm drops and, thus far, never recovers. I've been sort of lucky that it never happened high up but a low landing on concrete isn't really lucky either.
The ESCs, frame and motors have all been crashed 3 times (once seriously - killed a kk2), this board twice (never seriously).
I thought it might be a connection issue at the ESCs/KK2/RX but I've since glued them as a block so they're either all connected or all disconnected and it still happens and only front L or front R motor. Never the rear.
ESCs are F30A with SimonK.
9047 props on NTM1200KVs

Next test is to strap it to a chair and provoke it...
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 05, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
227 Posts
Thanks guys, very helpful!
hollgi is offline Find More Posts by hollgi
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Sorry, I still have not. I'm waiting for my 1100kv motors but since you have 1200kv's, I'm guessing that won't make too much of a difference if it's not the motors. In any case I am using four different esc's too but still got the same thing. I'll update once I get those items in and test again as am also waiting for new props. Same size, but I bent one so that could affect it. What firmware version do you have. I got 1.4, so that will be the next thing I may also try and move up to the 1.5 to see if that helps too before flying high. Maybe strapping it down and testing it may help see what else it's happening. Sorry I can't be much help at the moment. Let me know what you do find if anything. If worst comes to worst I'll just stop using this board, assuming I can't get it stable to where it doesn't flip on it's own every time I move the aileron too fast and leave it alone until I read more about others. So far I've changed quad kit as I had the spare, esc's, receiver/transmitter, props and now only have the motors and board to look at. My current motors still seem to work fine though. I'm also moving from 30amp esc's to 40amp esc's and know that many use 20amp esc's without problems, so I really don't see those items as problems right now as I made the esc changes according to the settings suggested here. I've been keeping it as simple as possible, but yes, that's getting pretty annoying, only because I don't want it to fall on anything or anyone, or just break anything again. My helis are all grounded too, waiting for parts as well, so I'm taking a break from it all you can say.
Have you set up your transmitter to use expo (dual rates) on the aileron channel? If configured incorrectly you could get this kind of behavior that you describes.

One test you can do is to study the aileron value in 'Receiver test' on your KK2.0 as you slowly move the stick left and right. It should normally move from zero to 100 and -100 at a steady rate (i.e. linear) unless you're using expo.

Also check your stick scaling value for aileron in the KK2.0 menu.
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors