HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Adik View Post
The spring loaded landing gear looks great, now let's see the X525.
You asked at just the right time! I just took some pics.
I also did a static balance using a string in the middle of the CD case.
I added a couple nickels on 2 of the arms out near the motors to get it balanced.

Haven't flown this yet because I'm learning with my DIY Quadnid as
it can take more abuse from my mistakes.
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:58 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Visually a unique design & looks very well done.

What would the advantages of this configuration be versus a + with servo on it's tail?
I can see there is a slight increase in tail arm length and that would give a leverage advantage for authority, but how does the design effect other things?

Just curious.

Thanks
If you look closely and omit the frame in the picture you will see the props are in the same formation as the + copter
The side arms are swept back placing them in the same locations anyway, you could achieve the same flight charicteristics doing this on a + frame but it would not look as awesome!!
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:09 PM
RC flying addiction
Joined Dec 2012
262 Posts
Nicely done.
Looks like you accommodated the folding through the CD case.
RC_Adik is offline Find More Posts by RC_Adik
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:10 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
A couple KK2 videos from this weekend. I replaced noisy 1050kv motors with quieter 930kv motors and balanced them. The tricopter swings big 10x4.5 props and can be either lazy and floaty or pretty quick and precise. I planned to use 9x4.7 props but they didn't provide enough lift for the heft of the frame. When I replace the wood with thin wall aluminum I will try the smaller props again, and hopefully gain a lot of flight time back. Flown 100% auto-stable mode until I get more practice in an open area with manual mode. 5.8GHz video so my distance is limited. Happy flying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQKC3VEl4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L51TrR5gxTw
That's pretty good altitude control. You have Height Dampening on?

Poor bushes, I saw you wound a couple.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:14 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
In a previous life part of my job was to write instructions for technical products. I don't know how I would have made it any more clear.
Me too!

Actually getting the user to read the manual is sometimes difficult. In this case the initial text the KK2 should display on power up is: RTFM
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:19 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteuz View Post
There's nothing wrong with the settings as I've programmed 4 other KK2's with the same settings, and after upgrading 2 of them to 1.5 I tried this one again and still same error.

If i try to boot it up via M1 still only get the blank screen. I can live with one that is dead, just a bit annoying cus this one should not have left the factory.. ..
There were instructions for a possible fix... maybe 100 pages ago.. I lost track, someone have a link to the "lights on nobody home" fix post?
I keep it bookmarked. Look at it for fuse settings.

I understand that at least the beta of LazyZero has this option now too.

From description (crash dropped) I don't hold a lot of hope except with a magnifying glass.

Did you unplug all connectors (receiver, servos, and ESC's) from KK2 when programming it?trying to program it?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:24 PM
Iran, Tehran, Tehran
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
#1 - I would get an upgrade dongle coming in the mail. $5 plus shipping from HobbyKing. You need KK2 firmware v1.4 or later to have good self-level mode. Self-level mode is best for beginners. I would also get whatever was necessary to flash my ESC's. HobbyKing has an Atmel CPU programming clip (to flash ESC's with Atmel CPU's) that costs $20, but it is worth it. I just cut smallest flap hole in ESC's over CPU in heat shrink tubing and programmed 4 ESC's in 4 minutes. Carefully cutting flap hole took longer than programming. Otherwise it would take a day (soldering or making and using adapters) and you need new heat shrink tubing.

#2 - You must tune the gains in your copter. It is unlikely that someone can tell you correct numbers since numbers depend on so many things of your personal copter.

#3 - You need a way to make sure you do not over discharge your Lipos.

Make sure all ESC's have these set in beep menu:
- Low Voltage Cutoff disabled or set to nicad
- Start up normal (not soft)
- Brake off

You must perform every step below. Do not skip even one step, even because you do not understand it.

Mount KK2 to copter. Take props off. Connect all wires to KK2. Load KK2 motor layout for your copter type. Make sure ESC's are plugged in according to "show motor layout" and motor spinning directions are correct. Run KK2 receiver test to make sure channels are in correct direction and centered. Run ESC calibration. Set copter level and run KK2 sensor calibration. Install CW and CCW props in the correct places now. Starting with default values for P and I gains. Turn self-level off. Set roll and pitch I gains to zero. Test hover. Adjust transmitter trims to make it hover level. Land. Increase roll and pitch P gain. Test hover. Increase P gain till just before oscillation this way. Leave P gain there. Increase roll and pitch I gain till just before oscillation. Set yaw I gain zero. Play with yaw P gain till it fights hand yaw twisting. Play with yaw I gain till it does not yaw drift during hover. With v1.4 or higher turn on self level (best to make it switchable with aux switch) and hover. It will need trimming to fly level, but do not adjust transmitter trims with self-level turned on or you will mess up the trim it has with self-level turned off. Instead, adjust self level ACC trims in KK2 to make self-level hover straight. Adjust self-level gain as you like it.
Dear friend

Thanks for your great answer but my problem is not the price of products. I can not access to them because I am in Iran and I can't order stuff from other countries via internet(we can't have visa card in Iran ). The only way is someone buy them and bring to me (my friends) but I don't have one now
I do my best to have those and do what you say.

Great thanks

Regards
Ehssan is offline Find More Posts by Ehssan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:25 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
R.e. tri / quad+ / plane hybrid

Quote:
What would the advantages of this configuration be versus a + with servo on it's tail?
To me the fact that it looks like an airplane when flying so you get +2 armor against orientation mistakes.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:27 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
R.e. tri / quad+ / plane hybrid

To me the fact that it looks like an airplane when flying so you get +2 armor against orientation mistakes.
Agreed
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:30 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbad View Post
Ok getting aggravated as heck, trying to upgrade my kk2 firmware and the software seems to be suggesting I update the usbasp firmware! Please point me to a solution

heres a pic of the results

And by the way, I'm runninng win7, 64 bit
I recall others complaining about this and the response being "It works, so it is just a warning for unused functionality that we don't need."

Go ahead and flash. Did it work?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:30 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
I keep it bookmarked. Look at it for fuse settings.

I understand that at least the beta of LazyZero has this option now too.

From description (crash dropped) I don't hold a lot of hope except with a magnifying glass.

Did you unplug all connectors (receiver, servos, and ESC's) from KK2 when programming it?trying to program it?
Not that one, the one for the resistor/jumper above M1.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:38 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Not that one, the one for the resistor/jumper above M1.
I've got this area bookmarked for that.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:39 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
....more pix on tail yaw system.
I'm impressed with the design of your yaw mechanism. Simple and effective. Is there a chance of some details on the actual bearing / pivot point. There looks to be a spacer between the moving and fixed parts .. is that a ball bearing?? Any thrust bearing used??

Thanks, Mark
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
I recall others complaining about this and the response being "It works, so it is just a warning for unused functionality that we don't need."

Go ahead and flash. Did it work?
Actually I tried a different kk2 board (the one installed on my build) and it worked, so I have no idea what is up with that other board,

on to my ESC's.....
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,138 Posts
LandingGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
Nice Job!

I noticed you have protectors on the landing gear.
Here's a pic of what what I came up with on my X525.
...that's a cool design,thanks for sharing.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x batbone project