HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:37 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Grimm View Post
Maidened my first tricopter today and it was a big succsess
It flies perfectly stable and also able to do some 3D moves!!
I Thank you KK for bringing so much joy to my life!!

Video of build setup and maiden flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcB3oOvijk
That is one classy looking, and smooth flying machine. Great video too, pretty much covers off everything. Can tell why you're so pumped.

Cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:31 AM
It only cost 50 honest!
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Oct 2007
321 Posts
Think my board may be broke. Getting a buzzing sound from it and tri spins rather than take off. Tried recalibrating same thing. Sometimes if I tap the board the buzzing stops, but comes back fairly quickly. Will have to take it out and check for breaks etc, but not sure if it will be ok. Anybody else had a similar problem? was working fine yesterday, and not been crashed or knocked. Also just noticed that one of the ESC's is getting warm.
David Parry is offline Find More Posts by David Parry
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:02 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Yes I've been working on the throttle. I have increased the minimun throttle but I may keep going a bit. My stick scaling is the default and I said sudden move, not full moves to either side...Also, where did you get 11 inch props from? I use 8x4 which is what was recommended for this motor under the specs. I know there's more to that, but this size seems to be working fine for so far. I saw the dji naza 330 and 450 with the same size props, they worked the same as mine. All three are very stable and level with these size props. In any case, mine seems to drop, so it's so it's not a matter of how far I move the sticks. It appears something is making it stop. I'll keep checking it. I need some parts now so until then will see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
You need to sort out your throttle range, so that zero throttle is off and motors start just above zero.
Maybe you need to adjust the Min throttle setting in the KK2 menu.

Moving Aileron stick full one way will make it roll over if you have a decent Stick scaling value and Self Level off , how else do you think you can do rolls and flips.

Are you sure your motors are capable of spinning an 11 inch prop, did you use a smaller pitch on the 11 inch to compensate for extra load on the motor.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:05 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
What firmware do you have? I'm just wondering as mine sometimes seems totally fine, and other times I think it kind of acts up so now I'm wondering if it's the board too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parry View Post
Think my board may be broke. Getting a buzzing sound from it and tri spins rather than take off. Tried recalibrating same thing. Sometimes if I tap the board the buzzing stops, but comes back fairly quickly. Will have to take it out and check for breaks etc, but not sure if it will be ok. Anybody else had a similar problem? was working fine yesterday, and not been crashed or knocked. Also just noticed that one of the ESC's is getting warm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:07 AM
It only cost 50 honest!
Joined Oct 2007
321 Posts
Running v1.5 so as to use the cam stab. May try reflashing it. Have checked the back of it for breaks, cant see any, also cleaned the back with Iso propyl but still the same.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
is there a reason the manual says to set up a TX in airplane mode instead of Heli? I'm planning on using this board on a quad and need to set up my DX7
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:23 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks. I have firmware 1.4 so I was thinking of upgrading it to see if anything would change.

Quote:
Running v1.5 so as to use the cam stab. May try reflashing it. Have checked the back of it for breaks, cant see any, also cleaned the back with Iso propyl but still the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:30 AM
It only cost 50 honest!
Joined Oct 2007
321 Posts
The only reason to use brontides v1.5 is for the cam stab. everything else is the same, except you loose the debug option.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:43 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
I don't have a cam pan/tilt on mine so this is why I didn't go up to the 1.5. i guess I just need to keep testing a bit more. Now my quad seems to be getting the chicken dance. I know one prop shaft got bent a bit from the crash but I can still get it to hover, then all of the sudden it starts going crazy so I have to put it down.

Quote:
The only reason to use brontides v1.5 is for the cam stab. everything else is the same, except you loose the debug option.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:46 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brombo View Post
PI Editor Pitch & Roll
P Gain 40
P Limit 30
P Limit should be 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
is there a reason the manual says to set up a TX in airplane mode instead of Heli? I'm planning on using this board on a quad and need to set up my DX7
No fancy mixing is needed. It's all done in the KK2. Airplane mode is therefore ideal.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehine View Post
I just got my tricopter going. Can you do complete flips with the 1.5 firmware or do you have to use a acro version of firmware?
Flipping a tri or quad with 1.5 is easy......
Hobbyking Y-3 Tricopter build and first flight (5 min 34 sec)

HobbyKing Q450, KK2 1.5 . simonk firmware flashed to Ty-P1 ESC:s (1 min 54 sec)

Accidently tried to do a backflip with my quad in autolevel mode but the flip was so slow that i hit the ground before completing the flip. actually done this twice..some never learn... Broke 2 arms on my quad last time and now im only using autolevel when loosing orientation.

So my experience is always fly KK2 with autolevel OFF to do flips and other "3D" manouvres.
R.Grimm is offline Find More Posts by R.Grimm
Last edited by R.Grimm; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:18 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Yes I've been working on the throttle. I have increased the minimun throttle but I may keep going a bit. My stick scaling is the default and I said sudden move, not full moves to either side...Also, where did you get 11 inch props from? I use 8x4 which is what was recommended for this motor under the specs. I know there's more to that, but this size seems to be working fine for so far. I saw the dji naza 330 and 450 with the same size props, they worked the same as mine. All three are very stable and level with these size props. In any case, mine seems to drop, so it's so it's not a matter of how far I move the sticks. It appears something is making it stop. I'll keep checking it. I need some parts now so until then will see how it goes.
In the post I quoted there was this statement

" I also changed the prop spin to 11 instead of the default 10." never seen a setting for prop spin so thought you meant prop size.

I now see you you meant Min Throttle setting as i mentioned in my reply.
as per the manual

"Misc. Settings":
-"Minimum Throttle" item: Adjust just high enough to keep all the motors running when the throttle
is above zero.

I use 8X4.5's on my Quad and Tri, 1200 and 1300Kv respectively.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:45 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Looks like you start it from the wrong directory. You must start it from the folder where the flash tool is stored. Please go to the console and type java -version and post it here or send it as PM to me.

Best Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
do you think i cant run this cause i cant access the jar file??

Ok here is what i get when i open the non serial flash tool:
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:20 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Looks like you start it from the wrong directory. You must start it from the folder where the flash tool is stored. Please go to the console and type java -version and post it here or send it as PM to me.

Best Christian
Thanks...cause this is driving me nuts....fwiw...i have the tool in a folder on my desktop...open up the file and then double click the tool....
But i will send you a pm with the info you requested.
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:27 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,067 Posts
I'm sorry for the ignorance, but what exactly do the limits do? And if the gain is above the limit then what does that do?
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow