HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:32 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I actually did that to see if the receiver was good. It seemed to work fine, this is why I went ahead and installed it. I also checked the other one I have and it worked exactly the same, so they are both working from what I can tell. I'm currently changing all the motors, receiver and controller board to my other kit since I don't have those motors or controller. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow since I need to dremel out some of the arm material to make that top plate fit the other quad. So I'll be testing the other 40 amp esc's and see what happens there. I'll be taping the antenna's to the side arms instead to keep them out of the props and anything else that may cause a problem with them. The arms are plastic so I hope that will at least help there in case that were a problem.
What exactly happened? Did all motors stop or just one. Which arm dropped? Maybe it was a esc power dropout?? A bit of a description might help put the puzzle together??
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Can't say, it was dark out. I only take the quad out since I can just use the LED's to get my orientation. All I know is that it just stop completely like it loss signal and dropped. The thing is that I tested it on the bench by turning off my tx and see what would happen. Well the motors kept turning where I left the throttle so this leads me to believe it may have been either interference or an esc dropout as you mentioned. I did set them all to normal start as you saw on previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
What exactly happened? Did all motors stop or just one. Which arm dropped? Maybe it was a esc power dropout?? A bit of a description might help put the puzzle together??
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Can't say, it was dark out. I only take the quad out since I can just use the LED's to get my orientation. All I know is that it just stop completely like it loss signal and dropped. The thing is that I tested it on the bench by turning off my tx and see what would happen. Well the motors kept turning where I left the throttle so this leads me to believe it may have been either interference or an esc dropout as you mentioned. I did set them all to normal start as you saw on previous posts.
So at the same instant, did the led's go out. Are the led's wired to the battery or through the receiver?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:03 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Two LED's are and two are directly soldered on the power lines since they need 12volts. All LED's remained on. I actually use the white front LED's as my search light every time it drops to look for anything that may be missing. I didn't not put my camera on it this time since it just rolled off of it when it hit the ground last time. I know for a fact that foam cover I made helped keep things from hitting too hard when upside down. I think it was more loss of power than anything, but really hard to say. I set up my 9x with open9x so I'll be using this with the timers that work correctly on it now. So this is also a test for that, but I have to really test that everything worked before even trying to fly. We'll see what happens as I have not used this transmitter on anything, but so far it seems to be working just like my v1, this is my v2.

Quote:
So at the same instant, did the led's go out. Are the led's wired to the battery or through the receiver?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:16 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Two LED's are and two are directly soldered on the power lines since they need 12volts. All LED's remained on. I actually use the white front LED's as my search light every time it drops to look for anything that may be missing. I didn't not put my camera on it this time since it just rolled off of it when it hit the ground last time. I know for a fact that foam cover I made helped keep things from hitting too hard when upside down. I think it was more loss of power than anything, but really hard to say.
If the quad pretty much fell straight down it sounds like all the motors quit together.
If an esc overloads or fails, usually one arm will drop violently. If the bec part of the esc fails, overheats, spikes, the power supply to the receiver and board will stop for a period. When this happens the receiver will not be able to failsafe as the power is cut. Power cut to the board will also happen. Do you have only one bec supplying power to your flight controller? If should be only one esc, and if it is maybe try swapping the esc that is supplying the power to your board to another one.
Hover low for a battery or two and preferably over something soft.
An led that runs off 5v and plugs into the receiver might act as a good indicator of whats going on.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:26 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I think it flipped as usual so I'm guessing it could be one overheating or something overheating. Well I'm swapping to the other kit as I said, and I have all different esc's so I'll know if it's a motor for sure. I will try low but farther flight next time during the day. I usually try to fly on grass as it has been very good at dampening my crashes and usually just fly over it anyway. Now that I think of it, it did flip as I used the new throttle cut off this time to keep the motors from killing themselves before it hit the ground. Although it's not the best way it came in very handy just like on the heli as I just could not get it to fly after it started going down, so I just hit the switch right before it hit the ground. I guess my only flying for now is a little SIM time...lol

Quote:
If the quad pretty much fell straight down it sounds like all the motors quit together.
If an esc overloads or fails, usually one arm will drop violently. If the bec part of the esc fails, overheats, spikes, the power supply to the receiver and board will stop for a period. When this happens the receiver will not be able to failsafe as the power is cut. Power cut to the board will also happen. Do you have only one bec supplying power to your flight controller? If should be only one esc, and if it is maybe try swapping the esc that is supplying the power to your board to another one.
Hover low for a battery or two and preferably over something soft.
An led that runs off 5v and plugs into the receiver might act as a good indicator of whats going on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
I'm glad you got it flying better.

Next step is FPV!
Yup Already Brought A 5.8Ghz 400mW Tx and The Rc 305 Rx from foxtech Now I Need A Camera ...I dont know What I Should go with...But I Think A Tri Is A Better FPV platform...I Just Love The Yaw Control...And my problem is that, the Bigger a Quad Gets The More docile and sluggish is the yaw response....also there is no difference when it comes to stability...a tri is just as stable as a quad ....also there is one motor and esc less which the battery has to feed .....we also dont gain anything in the name of redundancy on a quad because the present standard of ESC's that we use dont have any way of letting the FC know that a motor has stopped spinning or the motor has failed...now In such a scenario any power failure on a quad will certainly lead to a crash...so I Will migrate back to my tri-copter soon..and then Implement FPV...
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:04 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Does your system have failsafe settings? If they continue to turn with Tx off, failsafe is probably set to "keep last position".
I'm still sceptic to your kv/prop combo. If not already done, secure it to something heavy and measure current at max throttle.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:10 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I believe it does have failsafe. I didn't set that up, I only bound the receiver. These are new. I have never used this system until now. Well both the flydream and the frsky systems. So you think it's taking too much current? I'll see if i can do that without breaking it. I'll let you know if I do as I don't have anything set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Does your system have failsafe settings? If they continue to turn with Tx off, failsafe is probably set to "keep last position".
I'm still sceptic to your kv/prop combo. If not already done, secure it to something heavy and measure current at max throttle.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:00 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,625 Posts
Quote:
I believe it does have failsafe. I didn't set that up, I only bound the receiver. These are new. I have never used this system until now. Well both the flydream and the frsky systems. So you think it's taking too much current? I'll see if i can do that without breaking it. I'll let you know if I do as I don't have anything set up.
Failsafe positions are usually set when binding. Usual issue is - bind, reverse tx throttle and then find failsafe is full throttle, so best to bind again after changing tx settings.
Steveis is offline Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:23 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Yup Already Brought A 5.8Ghz 400mW Tx and The Rc 305 Rx from foxtech Now I Need A Camera ...I dont know What I Should go with...But I Think A Tri Is A Better FPV platform...I Just Love The Yaw Control...And my problem is that, the Bigger a Quad Gets The More docile and sluggish is the yaw response....also there is no difference when it comes to stability...a tri is just as stable as a quad ....also there is one motor and esc less which the battery has to feed .....we also dont gain anything in the name of redundancy on a quad because the present standard of ESC's that we use dont have any way of letting the FC know that a motor has stopped spinning or the motor has failed...now In such a scenario any power failure on a quad will certainly lead to a crash...so I Will migrate back to my tri-copter soon..and then Implement FPV...
Its not the esc's signalling the flight controller that are the problem with a motor failing on a quad ... it's just basic physics. The flight controller will sense the failure ... but what's it going to do???. The only solution would be to cut all power to the opposite motor ... that's a road to nowhere. Hex's are little better, octo's there is some chance. Y6 and X6 are best chance if something fails.
I agree with you on tricopters. I like the way they fly ... a "natural" sort of flight after coming from a fixed wing background.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:32 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I never reverse the throttle as I did that with the original firmware and almost found out what it did, the hard way. I did rebound the receiver again as well just to be sure it was working. I think you have to press the button after you set the stick to whatever you want the failsafe to be on this one. I remember reading that on their manual, but I never did set the failsafe on these. I just didn't want any since I use helis and now quads. I figured if I can't save it, that won't help much. In an airplane I can see that working much better though. Okay maybe a little bit in a heli to level it, but I'm sure by that time it will be on the ground anyway. Then again this is the first time I use either on something, so for now it's just the quad. I haven't used the other one on anything either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
Failsafe positions are usually set when binding. Usual issue is - bind, reverse tx throttle and then find failsafe is full throttle, so best to bind again after changing tx settings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:16 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Could this have been something simpler, was the Tx antenna pointed at the quad?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:33 AM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Could this have been something simpler, was the Tx antenna pointed at the quad?
The antenna doesn't necessarily have to be pointed at the aircraft.
If the orientation of the Tx antenna is not in the same plane as the Rcv
antenna it can reduce the signal range by 20db to 40db. In other words,
if the Tx antenna is horizontal and the Rcv antenna is vertical or vice-versa
it could reduce the range. If he was flying close in it shouldn't make much difference.
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:08 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
If he was gaining altitude he could have been in the "donut hole" of the omni, I've seen others report similar issues.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5100
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide