HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
I wish you would this board with a mag and GPS it would make the big boys stand up and take a look
GPS + Mag on an external board make no sense ... Mag is very inaccurate without pitch and roll information.

But a pure GPS module is possible. At the end Mag is not mandatory, the GPS can sense the direction

So ... Mag is possible hacking the KK Firmware (but something will need to be removed for find memory space)

GPS ... can be done only via an external module.

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 AM
☢ ɴᴏᴏʙ ☢
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2012
753 Posts
latest trip with my KK2... 1hr hiking just to reach to the peak for awesome scenery & sunrise!
please do watch in 720p

Quad FPV - Broga Hill (3 min 47 sec)
trinco is online now Find More Posts by trinco
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:00 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Or you can just get this one which works just as well and it's cheaper. I know, I have a couple of them on my 450 tails.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...05sec_21g.html
That looks like a good sturdy servo, something I found made a big difference on my tri.

Looking at how good the specs are on higher voltage made me wonder ... given M2-M8 power is separate from the KK2 board I don't see why you couldn't run HV servos with the appropriate power supply and isolation.

For a tri, say run a regular ESC with 5V BEC for M1, pull the red wire from the M2, M3 ESC's and then add a HV UBEC to M5 (say) to power the servo.

Might not be worth the effort, but interesting thought experiment if nothing else. Am I missing something (obvious, or otherwise)?

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:13 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Many thanks - I'll download it and flash it later today, but it might now be tomorrow before I get to test it.
I have just updated a small bug in the receiver test menu. I tested the CPPM with the trainer output on my DX8 and it works perfectly.
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 AM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Adik View Post
You also mention going from 9x5 props to 10x4.5 props and that has to effect something. It may have taken the motors out of their
most efficient zone, but that is only speculation on my part.....
eCalc says I should be getting 5 - 8 min flights on the 9x5's and
4 - 9 min on 10x4.7's. Most of my flights are basic with no radical moves
as these airframes are to be used eventually for video and fpv.

Gonna be raining the next couple days so It will be a while before I can
test fly with the reduced Gains.

Tnx!
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Or you can just get this one which works just as well and it's cheaper. I know, I have a couple of them on my 450 tails.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...05sec_21g.html
I'd recommend you don't use this on a Tri - it'll be fine for camera movement but the output likes to shear off after light crashes or constant vibration so it's not really very robust. Fine for other lower stress stuff though and pretty quick even if the numbers aren't 100% accurate, it's not a slow servo. Just a little weak in my experience.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Many thanks - I'll download it and flash it later today, but it might now be tomorrow before I get to test it.

Gordon,

I just tested new CPPM-Ver and I think it´s just what you´re looking for, works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
I have just updated a small bug in the receiver test menu. I tested the CPPM with the trainer output on my DX8 and it works perfectly.
thanks for your great work
people like you make this forum so special !

R
Jörg
Seebodener is offline Find More Posts by Seebodener
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:58 AM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
766 Posts
[QUOTE=Banjo5;23966694]That looks like a good sturdy servo, something I found made a big difference on my tri.

I'm still a newby with multi's (just over 1.1/2 years) but I've got two large Tri's ( 38" rad) and been there done that with rudder servos but now for the last 6 months I've been using this servo and never had any problems with it other than the servo wire disconnecting at the wrong time, my fault not giving a flight check before takeoff
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/towerpro...-p-405044.html

ray
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I seem to have run into a bit of a problem and I'd like some input!

Is there any correlation between low & high P & I Gains and power consumption?

Tnx!
There should not be nearly that much correlation (7 minutes with low P gain and 3 with high P gain).

Oscillation with ESC brake on may cause a lot of wasted energy. Make sure all your ESC brakes are off.

Are the motors "cogging" (an incorrect term here, but people know what you mean when you use it) where they make a banging sound once in a while? This would be incorrect timing. Incorrect timing can cause excess power consumption. Use default timing unless you need something else to avoid cogging.

I am afraid that the easiest explanation is that you have damaged your battery. I run a lipo alarm that watches cells individually and has adjustable alarm voltage set to 3.5 or 3.6 under load.

Test your battery in a charger or discharger that tells you how many MAH you put in or took out. Try going back to the previous gains and see if battery life comes back to the full 7 minutes.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Does anyone have a good guide for self level tuning?

My tricopter drifts back and to the right, but I dont know how to tune it perfect.
BiZARRE is offline Find More Posts by BiZARRE
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Okay just made all the changes and basically I now have all escs lit up with the first LED on the programming card except the music. I'll test with both buzzers if I can.
Brake-off
Li-xx-just to play it safe for now and test it to see what I get
Cut-off-soft as the only other option is cu-off
Cut-off voltage-Low
Start Mode-normal
Timing Low- trying this as these are high kv motors, not sure if they will help preserve battery.
Music-none
Governor-off
I'd use default timing unless I had motors that would not run reliably that way.

If you have a weak cell in your pack, you will just make it worse by using anything (LVC-in-ESC or alarm) that only watches total voltage.

If you use Low Voltage Cutoff, you will flip if you fly too long.

From best to worst, these can guarantee no battery or copter damage:
- use Lipo alarm with adjustable voltage that watches individual cells
- use Lipo alarm with non-adjustable voltage that watches individual cells

From here on down you can have damage
- carefully time your flights based on experience gained from always checking cell voltages after timed flights (stunts reduce time, different batteries have different times)
- use Lipo alarm that watches total voltage (weak cell gets weaker)
- use LVC on high (soft cutoff) (may cause copter damage, weak cell gets weaker)
- use LVC on high (hard cutoff) (will cause copter damage, weak cell gets weaker)
- use LVC not on high (even more likely to cause battery damage, possible copter damage)
- (LVC off) fly untimed flights, trying to guess how long to fly (may cause battery damage, copter usually OK)
- (LVC off) fly till it drops (will cause battery damage, copter usually OK)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri karlwithaka View Post
I'm getting jittering with one of my servos mainly on pitch, details in youtube link

is the problem bad or weak servos? (also i'm aware that its not setup perfect yet on the control board)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keVMZ7-67Ww
Yea, pitch seems worse than roll. I would swap the two servos to see if it follows the servo or the KK2 channel.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiZARRE View Post
Does anyone have a good guide for self level tuning?

My tricopter drifts back and to the right, but I dont know how to tune it perfect.
Self level is broken in v1.2 update to v1.5

With self level off, take off and adjust transmitter trims for level flight. Switch self-level on, but do not adjust transmitter trims. Instead land it and adjust the ACC trims in the KK2 self level menu. Switch self-level off and repeat.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:31 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
I decided to play with the timings on the esc's and here's a video from that. Interesting to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Q4Oe6RQTw
That is what some people call cogging. It happens when the ESC looses track of the motor timing because of incorrect timing or incompatibility. Did you notice how high your amps jumped when it happened? and that was with no props. If you let it do that several times you will notice that the motor and ESC get warmer than normal.

Set motor #2 this way and the rest back to default. Run it again and compare temps on motor #2 vs. #3 and #4; also compare ESC's 2, 3, 4. If you thought you smelled something burning before, this may not be wise.

The usual procedure is to leave the timing set to default unless you see this, then adjust as needed to avoid it. I would go with reliability over slightly longer flight time.
Last edited by theothercliff; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Self level is broken in v1.2 update to v1.5

With self level off, take off and adjust transmitter trims for level flight. Switch self-level on, but do not adjust transmitter trims. Instead land it and adjust the ACC trims in the KK2 self level menu. Switch self-level off and repeat.
Yes, Im using 1.5 FW.

Which direction is a negative value, and which is a positive value in the self level menu? I have tried to tune self level a little (but not trimming the transmitter), but I had no idea which value would give a good result.
BiZARRE is offline Find More Posts by BiZARRE