HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
TC sells Simon-ized 30A ESC's from his website. www.abusemark.com I just received my 5 of them. Good price considering he flashes and tests them.
I completely missed that, lol. They are however sold out.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
Factory flashed rapid drive series. State side
Your welcome

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_speed...ls_470_ctg.htm
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I have a problem when I hook my battery my esc beep very fast I have programmed them they are hobbyking 18 amp with turnigy 1100kv motors any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,751 Posts
Have you tried following the esc calibration process? I would try that first.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I have tryed that thanks tho
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
I have a problem when I hook my battery my esc beep very fast I have programmed them they are hobbyking 18 amp with turnigy 1100kv motors any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Fast beep often means the ESC is not detecting zero throttle when powered up.

Go into the receiver test menu on the KK2 and see if zero throttle is being received.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Still playing with my new board and I am very impressed, you can hold the model and really feel the stabilizing working as it resists your efforts to alter it from a level position..

I am still a way off from flying the thing, Ive been having problems with faulty motors and all sorts. the board is fine , everything else is being a pain...

newbee question...
how mismatched can the motors be.. IE different sizes and /or makes , I wondered because the board obviously speeds up and adjusts each motor to control for roll and pitch etc... so has anyone tried odd motors?...

obviously 4 the same will be best, but will an odd mix work?

Ive made my board easily swappable between models, presently making 2 quads and a tri..
It stays fixed into the foam that it came in, I soldered on a battery connector for the voltage alarm , this uses the balance plug to fix rather than a jst...and fixed an REC to the outside
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jul 19, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:26 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandav View Post
Is it possible to make it an option in the next firmware version?
Yep, I will do that.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:28 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edje View Post
Hi KK,
Immediately after the "failure" I disconnected everything and hooked M1 up to a ESC. Backlight then flickered a couple of times. After that no response.
Today I inspected the board with a microscope at work but I couldn't spot any visual damage.
I see a lot of test points on the board. Are there any specific points I could check to diagnose the prob? Thanks!
Measure the test points that begins with 5V or 3V.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:33 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiloschista View Post
... An autolevel trimming offset in the code could be a nice feature.
That will be added.
Quote:
The autolevel at my actual settings seems really good to do FPV and have a sort of "position hold", to look around. But controls become almost unusable for me.
You can increase your endpoint on your TX or StickScale on the FC to get more control in self-level.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:41 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Do you have any rough idea on when this update would be available?

I'm not pestering, just wondering if it's days, weeks, months ... or I guess if shorter/longer than the time to get a new servo from China to Canada.

Thanks for all your efforts. Sure looking forward to trying a tri. I have just about all the parts now, so time to start building.

cheers,
Andrew
The slow boat from China will win this race!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
4.7 software and loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Hi all, I designed this one to be easy to use for the noobs, and still be better than the KK1.

The gadgets-freaks will not pitch a tent over this one, It is the same, tired old AVR-chip. (Sorry TC ) However, it runs on a 20MHz crystal, so output resolution and jitter is better than before.

Some improvements:

-No confusing potmeter directions.

-No gyro reversing needed since the FW is for a fixed HW setup.

-Self-leveling. It uses acc tilt-angle measurement. Later I will try to add a full AHRS algorithm like the big boys use since it is better. (less delay)

-No PC necessary. All adjustments and multicopter type selecting is done with the LCD and buttons.

-The transmitter setup can be checked before first test. (channels and direction)

-low drift gyros.

-graded low-voltage-alarm, adjustable in 0.1V increments.

-motor numbering and propeller direction is visible on the LCD.

-Custom mixer.

It will become open source when the first update is available. But beware, it is still written in Evil Assembly!!

Manual:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30X7478X47.pdf

Videos:

The first 17 seconds is with the KK1, the rest of the video it is with the KK2: (Self-level is not used)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnKlmCS5c5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-0rgxE9Uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNzqTGEl2xQ

http://youtu.be/cLgbwBRVdZU

Q&A: (Some of the text is borrowed from other users posts in this thread.)

Q: It lists "Singlecopter 1M 4S", does that mean it could be used on say a Trex450?
A: No, but it is possible to configure the mixer for a heli. I will get me a cheapo 450 and see how well it works as a flybarless controller!

Q: Is it possible to write FW on this controller to use as standalone Camera gimbal like the multiwii?
A: Yes, I will write a camera gimbal FW for it.

Q: How does the low voltage alarm work? I can not see any connections for input V?
A: The Battery voltage input is the unpopulated hole to the left of the yellow component. Connect a cable from battery+ to this hole. The ground return is through Output #1's ground wire. Go to "Misc. Settings", "Alarm 1/10 volts:" to set the threshold. It is in 1/10 volts, so 10.5V is entered as "105". The LVC is only active when battery voltage is below the limit. When it goes above, it stops. Also it beeps faster the lower the voltage is below the limit.

Q: Does the aeroplane mode also include autolevelling? or is that only available for copters?
A: It is available for planes too, but that combination is not tested. I will do it when I get more KK2's

Q: CPPM input mode?
A: I will try to add CPPM mode.

Q: If the gyro can work on 2000 deg/sec, why not make the 2000 deg/sec as the working output? Which solder jumper need to be mod?
A: The 440 deg/sec gives a higher resolution. The jumpers is on a horizontal line below the two black chips at the top. From left to right: X, Y and Z axis. The pads already connected with a trace is 440 deg/sec. Cut this trace and connect (solder a thin wire) the center pad to the opposite pad to get 2000 deg/sec. Be careful not to short out the trace that runs in between the pads.

Q: Why is Autolevel so slow?
A: The autolevel is based only on the ACC. It takes some time before the ACC registers tilt due to the horizontal acceleration of the craft when tilting. It needs some speed to get air resistance and a force on the ACC. Therefore the autolevel works best on draggy crafts. Later I will try to implement a AHRS algorithm, which uses both ACC and gyros to get a immediate tilt angle.

Q: What are the "limit" values in "PI Editor"?
A: About the "limit" values. They set the maximum of the available motor power to be used for correction. 100 is 100%. The "I limit" value is also known as "anti wind-up" in PID theory.
The limits is most important on the yaw axis. The prevent a large yaw correction from saturating the motors (giving full or no throttle), causing no control of the roll/pitch axis.
The default values permit 30% ("P Limit" 20 + "I limit" 10) of the motor power to be used to yaw correction, making 70% available for the roll/pitch axis, the most important ones.
You can increase "Yaw P Limit" for faster Yaw response. Note that Yaw response is also limited by the craft itself.
You can increase "Roll/Pitch/Yaw I Limit" for increased heading-hold "memory", that is how far it can deviate and still return to original attitude. Too large memory can cause problems if you have a "blow out" on one of the axis, tries to correct it with opposite control input and then when the blow-out conditions disappear, the craft will try to return to an unknown attitude.
Unless you know what you are doing, leave the limit values as default. Default values has no impact on The PI tuning process.
Also leave the self-level "I gain" and "I limit" at zero. The I part of the self-level algorithm does not work well, this will be fixed later. (Accelerometers is too slow)

Q: Could you explain in detail how does the Height Dampening and Limit works?
A: "Height Dampening" in "Misc. settings" uses the Z accelerometer to dampen vertical movements caused by wind or tilting the craft. "Height D. Limit" Limits how much power available for dampening. Try 30 for the "Height Dampening" and 10 (10%) for "Height D. Limit".

Q: Why does my Peizo buzzer keep making a beeping noise no matter what values I put on the "Alarm 1/10" voltage settings?
A: You must connect the battery voltage input to the battery. See question 3.

Q: Can I use the KK2 with a cheap HK 4 ch radio?
A: That will be fine but if you want to turn on/off the auto level function you will need to do that at the LCD where as a 5th channel will enable you to do it from your transmitter.

Q: I accidentally adjusted the contrast such that I cannot read the screen now.
Does anyone know how to do a "master reset" to default values?
A: Turn the KK2 off and on again.
push button 4
push button 3 (four times )
push button 4
push button 3
push button 4
push button 1
push button 3 (36 times)
push button 4

Q: In Tricopter configuration the LCD motor layout suggests that all the motors rotate clockwise. Is that correct?
A: On a Tri any combination of CW and CCW can be used, but the best is to have one of CW or CCW and the other two in the other direction.

Q: How to reverse the yaw gyro for a tricopter?
A: Go to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100.

Q: Why that nut job of a ESC calibration sequence?
A: I know that some of you will try to calibrate the ESC with the propellers on, so by requiring to hold down buttons while calibrating, you will probably let go of the buttons and cause the motors to stop when the propellers start to slice through your arms. Also this makes it impossible to leave the ESC calibration on permanently. Why two buttons? In case some buttons get stuck, it will not enter ESC calibration mode accidentally. I see some defeats this by using clothes pins to press the buttons, but I recommend getting help from a friend. Of course, if you do remove the props, use the clothes pins!

Known bugs:
1: Arming LED stays on when entering the menu in "arming always on" mode.

To do list:
1: Improve the Self-leveling.
2: Add configurable low pass filter for the servo outputs, to avoid excessive shaking and premature servo failure when using low-end servos.
3: Write a better tuning guide.
Hi, KK
I am a COMPLETE NOOB!!
I have ordered the KK2 board from HK
Does this board have the LATEST (4.7) software for X config frames?
If not what do I need in order to connect PC to update it?

Thank you
Ted (UK)
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:11 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,527 Posts
You don't need to update this board. And it is not even close like 4.7. It is way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto View Post
Hi, KK
I am a COMPLETE NOOB!!
I have ordered the KK2 board from HK
Does this board have the LATEST (4.7) software for X config frames?
If not what do I need in order to connect PC to update it?

Thank you
Ted (UK)
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:33 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
788 Posts
Quote:
Just a short question, is there a setting that makes the props spin as soon as the board is armed?
I was used to this with my aq50d and multiwii board. Now with the KK2.0 I almost removed my fingers with an unexpected throttle movement thinking the power was of.
I read the entire thread (not at once though ) but can't remember reading it anywhere.
Quote:
No. I wanted it to always turn off the motors when the throttle is at idle.
Quote:
Is it possible to make it an option in the next firmware version?
Quote:
Yep, I will do that.
How about instead of having the props spinning at idle just send pulses to the motors so they beep when the board is armed. (a slow beeb would be best so it's not too anoying).
Or you could get the piezo buzzer to do the beeping.

Having the props spinning at idle / min throttle may not be a good idea as when you crash the motors will be still trying to spin even when you drop the throttle and may burn out an esc or motor.
You would have to remember to disarm the board quickly after a crash.

And from the Flightest crew:

"You're gonna crash... its gonna happen trust me"
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Last edited by crezzee; Jul 19, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Do you have any rough idea on when this update would be available?

I'm not pestering, just wondering if it's days, weeks, months ... or I guess if shorter/longer than the time to get a new servo from China to Canada.

Thanks for all your efforts. Sure looking forward to trying a tri. I have just about all the parts now, so time to start building.

cheers,
Andrew
Andrew,
I ordered some solar digital servos from hobbypartz. 25-26g for $12 bucks.
I too am experiencing servo wobble on a cheap analog servo.
You'll probably get a better performing tri with digital. I hope to get them Friday or Monday. I have video of the wobble to post yet but will compare both.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock