SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Servos require a separate BEC to one of the other 8 servo lead things.
No separate BEC needed if using ESCs with internal BECs as most of us do, and it is OK to have more than one powered lead connected unless your ESCs have switched-mode power.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
Since you don't appear to have a camera gimbal V1.4 will be the one to go for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Hi guys. I'm a new kk2 owner and I just finished putting together my first quad. It came with firmware 1.2 from HK and I was wondering what software you guys suggest using for the firmware? I'm about to do my first test flight and was wondering if it will be okay to use the 1.2 at the moment? I already have the hk programmer and cable as well so I'm good there. I did check the first page and noticed there are different firmwares but no mention about what software to use. So I hope someone can point me in the right direction as I haven't had a chance to look at the thread since I just found it. I got everything set up on the transmitter too so it's ready to go. I just want to check in before I do in case there's something I should know before the maiden test flight. Thanks.
Here's my quad...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782670
If you are just starting it will be best to upgrade your firmware. It flies MUCH better with 1.4 or 1.5 firmware. The auto level works great with these versions. Much better for starting out. Updating the firmware was not too hard, just find one of the Youtube tutorials to help out.
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
No separate BEC needed if using ESCs with internal BECs as most of us do, and it is OK to have more than one powered lead connected unless your ESCs have switched-mode power.
They were talking about flying FW which in most cases only has one esc unless you have a twin. Controlling the servos from the KK2 will then require voltage input to m2-m8 to power servos connected to the KK2.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll look into it, I need to figure out how to back the old one first just in case. I also forgot to ask if I can use one of those long battery charging extensions balancing plugs and only using the positive and negative on the board to use for the lipo battery voltage? I usually use a separate buzzer, but I noticed this board has that built in. I would like to use the balancing plug for that but I don't know if anyone has used that on their quad.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
You only need a single wire for voltage monitoring, and you can connect it to the positive edge of the balancing connector (probably red wire), if that was what you meant. I soldered a pint on the board, and made a wire with servo connector (male and female) in each end to join the board and battery. I later soldered a wire on the power distribution board.instead.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:52 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
338 Posts
In Rolfes "Multicopter PI-tuning: How to recognize different settings." it looks like he is "string tuning" a +-Quad. If I were to do this "string tuning" with an X-Quad which motors get disconnected and which motors do the suspension strings go to?
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I was thinking of doing this...anyway I can't plug in the programmer at the moment, the stand off is in the way so I need to remove this first. If I can use this for the voltage alarm I may as well do this too.
KK2 Voltage Alarm Setup (7 min 21 sec)

With this wire and just taking out the two middle pins/wires and cutting the end I don't need and using this for my voltage connector.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I just downloaded the latest java for ie on windows 7 and tried the lazyzero but I can't get that software to work. Programmer drivers are installed fine as I had set that up before for open9x which is basically the same programmer. Anyone got another program I can use? Links? Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
I just downloaded the latest java for ie on windows 7 and tried the lazyzero but I can't get that software to work. Programmer drivers are installed fine as I had set that up before for open9x which is basically the same programmer. Anyone got another program I can use? Links? Thanks.
Install the 32 bit version of Java to make the LazyZero programming tool work. Then run one of the .cmd files to start the tool.
RC911 is online now Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:07 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I uninstalled the 11 version and downloaded the 32 bit, but I'm still not getting anywhere...I just get this and that's it...nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
Install the 32 bit version of Java to make the LazyZero programming tool work. Then run one of the .cmd files to start the tool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,625 Posts
Quote:
I uninstalled the 11 version and downloaded the 32 bit, but I'm still not getting anywhere...I just get this and that's it...nothing.
Help and answers can be found here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526042
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Sorry. I expect that I would have felt the same if someone had said that to me. I do understand that you can get numbers like this from various deep math proofs.

It was just a thought that I found funny.

I say this because I am honestly sorry , and not because I am in the least worried about being kicked off of rcgroups .
Cliff.
Firstly. Subaru4WD was either kicked off or left because he openly voiced his frustration. He had some firm beliefs and not much tolerance for circular nature of this thread. I was not suggesting you would be kicked for having a shot at someone. Secondly, Thankyou, a simple heart felt appoligy will, in my eyes, earn more respect than any number of posts on a web forum. I do need to be reminded from time to time that this is a hobby forum and it is our toys we discuss. Again, Thankyou and still air for all your weekends.

Pete.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Uninstalling was not necessary. On a 64 bit operating system you may actually need both Java versions. I installed both on my Win8 desktop PC and the LazyZero tool works without problems.
RC911 is online now Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I did the next best thing, just don't feel like messing with that on this machine and took out my trusty old xp laptop and just updated my firmware to 1.4 since I don't have a gimbal camera. Now I need to charge the battery on the tx as I just found out it needs charging.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:12 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I just went outside and did my first test hover...at first I was like, why the heck is my throttle not working, then I remember I have to arm it first...man this thing is fun...one question though, my rudder feels slow, what setting do I change to speed this up a bit? The motors are just warm, but I only did a test for like a minute or two, not much room here without hitting something, but I wanted to make sure it works first before going to the park.
RCG Plus Member