SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:16 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Reaver View Post
Thank you very much. So I should immediately change my model from heli to acro, and I should notice a better response and control...
I would not count on that helping. Problems like that are usually setup or tuning problems.

It is just that using acro will remove a lot of questions from getting to the bottom of the issue.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:22 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmik View Post
ESC: Simonized F-20A
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
I flashed to 1.4 and then stumbled through the setup process. The FC defaults to + quad layout. It's unflyable in the wrong layout... obviously... but I still tried.

The auto level is fantastic, it's everything I hoped for when I first bought this controller. However gain settings are all defaulted, so I've been making adjustments trying to get it stable again. It's close, but still wobbles a bit when hovering.

1.4 is a great update, big thanks to KK.

A new round of upgrades and struggles. (2 min 55 sec)
Ducati777 is offline Find More Posts by Ducati777
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:53 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
In the real world, it is not possible for the flight controller to level out both the flight controller itself and the frame because the flight controller itself could be sitting un level on a level frame due to bad mounting. Leveling out the flight controller in flight can still result in one motor sitting tilted or higher than another when compared to the position of the flight controller. This will result in in an un level hover with constant corrections.

The best you can hope for is to build the multirotor as level as possible before mounting the flight controller and then mounting the flight controller itself level. You can use a small bubble level to check the flight controller itself and a larger one to check the frame.

If you believe that all is as level as it can be and you still have drift in flight, you can shim the flight controller and/ frame together when performing the IMU calibration. This tricks the flight controller into using that position as its basis for level.
It is my understanding that sensor calibration and subsequent tweaking of the self-level ACC trims adjusts for all this. The board doesn't have to be perfectly level in the frame or the frame absolutely perfectly level during sensor calibration, if you tweak these trims to make self leveling fly with the same transmitter trim settings as normal flight.

Single main / single tail rotor copters hover with the main rotor at an angle. You will never auto-calibrate perfectly for that. Quad repair jobs leave motors at a degree or three different. Mounting your KK2 on velcro will cause angle changes if you press one side harder than the other.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:01 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I did the calibration when I set it up. Can I recalibrate and is it a bad thing to have the throttle min at 20?

Tom
You can recalibrate at any time. To do ESC calibration, you really need to read up on technique because you need to hold the buttons down the whole time.

The other thing that can make motors start up at different times is to start up with self-level turned on. If your motors start at the same time with throttle min at 10% and with self-level off, then the ESC's are probably calibrated correctly already.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:07 PM
Sweden, Södermanland County, Katrineholm
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
I have did esc calibration before, but now I have update the KK FW, must I recalibrate the esc?
TraxxasSweden is offline Find More Posts by TraxxasSweden
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:10 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxxasSweden View Post
I have did esc calibration before, but now I have update the KK FW, must I recalibrate the esc?
No, but be careful between FW versions that you redo things like *motor layout* and PI tuning.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:20 PM
RC flying addiction
Joined Dec 2012
262 Posts
Is there a CPPM receiver that works with a JR transmitter on 72Mhz or DSM2/DSMX?

Thanks
RC_Adik is offline Find More Posts by RC_Adik
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
I would not count on that helping. Problems like that are usually setup or tuning problems.

It is just that using acro will remove a lot of questions from getting to the bottom of the issue.
ok thanks.
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
This little tri copter has more power than I expected. I hit the throttle and it shot straight up about 60 feet. Drifted into a tree and plunged to its death. OK not dead maybe just a little banged up. I think I bent the shaft on the rear motor. I'll have wait on some new props to come in also. I have a spare motor so I'll swap it out for the other one tomorrow. Boy was that thing fast. While I wait on the props I'll just work on the H-copter. I want to try FPV with it.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Last edited by carr52; Jan 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sweden, Södermanland County, Katrineholm
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati777 View Post
I flashed to 1.4 and then stumbled through the setup process. The FC defaults to + quad layout. It's unflyable in the wrong layout... obviously... but I still tried.

The auto level is fantastic, it's everything I hoped for when I first bought this controller. However gain settings are all defaulted, so I've been making adjustments trying to get it stable again. It's close, but still wobbles a bit when hovering.

1.4 is a great update, big thanks to KK.
Why did you not update to fw 1.5?
TraxxasSweden is offline Find More Posts by TraxxasSweden
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxxasSweden View Post
Why did you not update to fw 1.5?
i use 1.4 too as the only difference 1.5 have is the cam stab which i dont use them
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
This little tri copter has more power than I expected. I hit the throttle and it shot straight up about 60 feet.

Tom
I had the same issue with my quad, which is my first 'copter of any kind. Although preflight calculations had shown it having a large power/weight ratio I was surprised at how fast it shot into the sky after launch, and how difficult it was to control in the vertical. As a result I landed hard and did some damage, but nothing I could not repair. I will dial back the throttle range and increase the expo for the next flight.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Yeah, you know the old saying. Compost occurs.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:43 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Got my board today and flashed it right away with 1.5. Havent had a chance to do anything with it yet as I am still building the host quad for it. This will be my first quadcopter build so I guess we will have to see how this all turns out. Spent 5ish hours working on what I could today(still waiting for more parts). I need a decent soldering iron in a bad way.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla