Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEastKilla View Post
Ive seen some posts in the scratchbuilt section where people have tilted their motors on purpose for better stability/handling so really it must be that it should be level in relation to the frame, no!?
True, but that is uncommon and they should, in total, be balanced against each other.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I have a couple questions
It seems to me when doing acc calibration that one would want the props level and not really care about the board. After all, the props are what are going to keep the bird level. Am I wrong in my thinking?
Yes. When you do the sensor calibration it is done with respect to the sensors on the board. The FC will attempt to adjust the motor thrust to maintain that condition of level.

I believe that i will work best the props are level, or close to it, and can think of no reason why they should not be.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxxasSweden View Post
Have just made a 6pin usb asp adapter and updated the firmware to V1.5.

Will test tomorrow and se what happens.

How do you sensor calibration you boards? Could anyone upload a picture? Because I don´t really know how to do it..
There is a Sensor Calibration item in the setup menu. Place the 'copter on a level surface and select it. The proce3ss is automatic.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
And my question, why does not people use the foam box that the KK board arrived in??
Some do, as described in some of the earlier posts. I use the foam squares from HK as you do
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:29 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Yes. When you do the sensor calibration it is done with respect to the sensors on the board. The FC will attempt to adjust the motor thrust to maintain that condition of level.

I believe that i will work best the props are level, or close to it, and can think of no reason why they should not be.
Thanks, I think that you are saying that I am correct in my thinking.

Second question
M1 is the esc that powers the KK2, check.
My 3 other plush esc's (quadcopter) each have a 3A linear BEC. Does this mean that the rest of the motor outputs, M2-M8, share 9A of available output from the other 3 esc's or is this not how it works? They are added together for a total available power? Just curious.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Jet Copter part 2 FFF. Sorry for the video but there was no one home to film it for me. Next time.

http://youtu.be/2Ei57-po3w0
Seems to handle FFF very well. Looking forward to see your next video.
RC911 is online now Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Some do, as described in some of the earlier posts. I use the foam squares from HK as you do
I'm using the same foam squares. I used only one in the middle, where the surface is smooth, not sure if it keeps the board firm enough against vibrations...
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:10 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,418 Posts
Quote:

Second question
M1 is the esc that powers the KK2, check.
My 3 other plush esc's (quadcopter) each have a 3A linear BEC. Does this mean that the rest of the motor outputs, M2-M8, share 9A of available output from the other 3 esc's or is this not how it works? They are added together for a total available power? Just curious.
Assuming you haven't removed the red wires from the M2-M4 connected ESC's on the FC then there is theoretically 9A available to power servo(s) on the remaining M5-M8 connectors, these can be used for camera stabilization etc, although I've never seen any servo's that would use anything like that amount of power.

Unless something needs that power, the BEC's themselves will be doing nothing other than adding some weight to your quad
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:15 PM
Bayou Boy
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Nov 2012
458 Posts
Well it was just two that were adjacent to one another !
Yea I saw that the Paris multi wii adds 3 degrees tilt on all motors
Diazapamjam is offline Find More Posts by Diazapamjam
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:21 PM
Sweden, Södermanland County, Katrineholm
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
There is a Sensor Calibration item in the setup menu. Place the 'copter on a level surface and select it. The proce3ss is automatic.
Yeah I have use sensorcalibration
is it important that the level surface is "super flat"? Like a corkscrew on water.

Because when I have done it, I have been on the garage floor= the floor slopes slightly

hope you understand what I mean Just a 15years old from sweden with bad english
TraxxasSweden is offline Find More Posts by TraxxasSweden
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:23 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
Assuming you haven't removed the red wires from the M2-M4 connected ESC's on the FC then there is theoretically 9A available to power servo(s) on the remaining M5-M8 connectors, these can be used for camera stabilization etc, although I've never seen any servo's that would use anything like that amount of power.

Unless something needs that power, the BEC's themselves will be doing nothing other than adding some weight to your quad
Thanks, that's what I thought too. Seems to make sense. I may have a use for the power with led lighting... that's my thought. No where near 9A though!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for being unclear but I was answerering your question as asked. Yes, you are wrong in your thinking. The sensors used by the self-leveling algorithm are on the board, so the board should be level. If the prop tilt is unequal the algorithm will compensate by adjusting the thrust of each motor in the same way it would if the motors were not all developing precicely the same power, which they probably are not..

I don't know he answer to the second part of your question except that it is highly unlikely that you would have the sum of all the M2-M4 BEC current available. More than x1 perhaps but not X3.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for being unclear but I was answerering your question as asked. Yes, you are wrong in your thinking. The sensors used by the self-leveling algorithm are on the board, so the board should be level. If the prop tilt is unequal the algorithm will compensate by adjusting the thrust of each motor in the same way it would if the motors were not all developing precicely the same power, which they probably are not..
No trouble, Just clarifying. I appreciate all you've done!
Well I guess I don't have my head around this yet. It was my conception that by calibrating, you were telling the sensors the position of level, so, if the board was tipped for instance 3 degrees when calibrated, when auto level was invoked it would try to attain that same 3 degree tip as it was when calibrated. So far am I right?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I have use sensorcalibration
is it important that the level surface is "super flat"? Like a corkscrew on water.
I have no idea how much your garage floor slopes. I use piece of plywood that is shimmed so that a carpenter's level bubble is centered in both directions.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:56 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
According to the code itself, acc calibration creates the "zero" point for the accelerometer, the angle the quad will try and return to when level mode is active. If your quad is perfectly square and level then calibrating on a flat surface is probably sufficient, if the quad is scratch built or is otherwise lacking that square with the ground quality then calibration should be done with the quad angled at the point where it should "hover".

KK2 is not Naza, it will hold an angle it believes to be correct even if it drifts when doing so.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide