HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:59 PM
Custom Multirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
830 Posts
Jet Copter part 2 FFF. Sorry for the video but there was no one home to film it for me. Next time.

Jet Copter part 2 (5 min 22 sec)
Senator315 is online now Find More Posts by Senator315
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
It may take just 30 seconds for the actual flash but the entire process takes far longer. Lets not mislead the newcomers. That however is irrelevant. What you are referencing is for programming Atmel chips. It will not work on the Silabs chips being used in recent production, and which reportedly have better performance. As said mine are working fine as is. By the same token you seem happy too, so all is good.
I was simply implying that someone totally technically challenged (me) can do this process ... there is nothing to fear. I use the lazyzero flash tool and it prompts you all the way. And ... yes we are talking Atmega chip esc's, that's why I mentioned the hobbyking 20A and 30A ones. The Silabs ones can be flashed but I know nothing about that process.
As you say, if you are happy with yours ... leave them alone. ...
Curiosity got the better of me, and now there is no looking back. (and yes I still have a couple of quads / hex's with unflashed esc's).
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:05 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Jet Copter part 2 FFF. Sorry for the video but there was no one home to film it for me. Next time.

http://youtu.be/2Ei57-po3w0
Thats really impressive ..... ZOOM ...

I suspect you were having way too much fun in that clip ...........
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Last edited by kaz1104; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hi, for those in need of a kk2 buddy code (AUS warehouse)

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...0-8FD9CDB58E70
Slymick is offline Find More Posts by Slymick
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:44 AM
Custom Multirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Thats really impressive ..... ZOOM ...

I suspect you were having way too much fun in that clip ...........
You can never have too much fun.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slymick View Post
Hi, for those in need of a kk2 buddy code (AUS warehouse)

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...0-8FD9CDB58E70
They seem to have a buddy code for them very regularly in the Aus WH.
Great saving if you buy 2 or more at a time. 2 x $19.03 + $8.99 post = US$47.05
Convert that to AU$ and it's AU$45.09 so $22.55 per board delivered = great deal, and you get them in 2 or 3 days.
Senator315 is online now Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:35 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
and have read that "flashed" ESCs cannot be returned to factory settings and do not work well in non-multi applications.
Both are very true. I would add "void the warranty" and that flashing with the wrong firmware can fry an ESC / cause a fire / damage your battery/ but safety testing with a current limited power supply (a simple 1156 or whatever you have on hand automotive bulb in series for low power tests works well) will tell you it's wrong and let you try another firmware.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:46 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy09 View Post
sorry b\for the quick post before but thought i had seen a video once before with the kk board and aesc cal menu. No biggie found the post. thanks again. only other question i have and i know some details r in post one but my firmware is 1.2 is it worth updating?
You need at least 1.4 for good self-leveling.
You need (at least) 1.5 for camera stabilization.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:52 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
After spending the past couple of hours on research I have concluded that there is no way I am going to try flashing my ESCs. It id not that I think it is beyond my technical ability. I am an electronics enginner with ample experience in microprocessors. I have built my own microprocessors and EEPROM programmers from scratch.

To begin with my Turnigy Plush ESCs are recent production which are said to have Silabs chips that are not compatible with SimonK. Aside from that the process is tedious. It requires stripping the cover off the ESC, correctly identifying the programming pins. soldering wires to them and connecting them to a compatible USB adapter, and identifying and downloading the correct .exe file. The opportunity for mistakes are numerous and it takes jus one to ruin the ESC. I have read numerous threads by people that have started the process and then vanish without reporting results, which suggests a high failure rate,

As said befor my Plush ESCs are working fine. If I decide they are not I will buy pre=flashed replacements.
SiLabs CPUs are indeed a different beast. They require different firmware and programming hardware. A less traveled path, but it is available.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:47 AM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Lunel
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Happy New year to all the owners of the KK2 and i wish you all a crash-free 2013
wattie x is offline Find More Posts by wattie x
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
accelerometer filter

Can anyone please tell me the values of c26,c27,c28 on the kk2 board, so that I can calculate the hardware filter roll off frequency for the accelerometers? Thank you.
Enstrom is offline Find More Posts by Enstrom
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:35 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enstrom View Post
Can anyone please tell me the values of c26,c27,c28 on the kk2 board, so that I can calculate the hardware filter roll off frequency for the accelerometers? Thank you.
This may even be documented in the source code. Is that available?

I wonder if a KK2 schematic is avalable. That would be nice.

I suspect that you could look up a schematic of an older version of KK board that has the same accels.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
after reading I was not sure about it, but i did it, I just flashed my rctimer 30A escs with simonk fw.
I'll go to test it in one hour, let's see if I can trim PI better and stabilize my baby.
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
31 Posts
I recently flash with 1,5 firmware. unfortunately my quad become unstable with the highest possible P gain at 23. I gain at 0. ( pitch and roll ) It was fine with 1.2 firmware. Thinking of reflash to 1.2 to confirm if somethings went wrong with 1.5. Anyone here had similar problem?
keeyen is offline Find More Posts by keeyen
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:53 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeyen View Post
I recently flash with 1,5 firmware. unfortunately my quad become unstable with the highest possible P gain at 23. I gain at 0. ( pitch and roll ) It was fine with 1.2 firmware. Thinking of reflash to 1.2 to confirm if somethings went wrong with 1.5. Anyone here had similar problem?
I flew mine for the first time yesterday since it just came in the mail. flew @ 1.2 first then flashed to 1.5... I found it more stable at 1.5 but I only hovered in my kitchen. Will check it out in a gym tomorrow for more tuning. It's too nasty here in NY for outside flying! It is a little twitchy without auto level but with it on, wow this thing is really stable. I am sure I can get it nailed down without as well.

SK450
30A Plush
Turnigy D2836/9 950KV
10x4.5 props
2200 Nano 3 cell
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Last edited by jrjr; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:54 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
uncontrollable cork screw oscillations while descending

Happy New Year to All! Anyone good at turning?

I'm flying a folding H-Quad w/ kk2 1.5fw. I have it tuned pretty good I think. I have the p gains set so I just get a bit of wobble when I am in ground effect but above that flies very stable. My one problem is when I come down, if I descend at anything above a crawl my quad starts to cork screw around while maintaining heading, it is almost uncontrollable. If I try to power out of it while still going down it gets real wild. Lost my first copter to this. Go to 1.00 in video to see what I mean. It still happens with the new quad I built.

Anyone have a solution to this?

I use HK Blue ESCs. Would SimonK firmware help? Thanks.

"Woody" Folding FPV Platform H-Quad w/KK2 FC 1.5 firmware (8 min 7 sec)
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo