HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
This " High/low refresh rate" you speak of, is this adjustable on the KK2 board?
I have not received my KK2 yet, but this video says you can if I interpret it correctly. Start it about 9:00. It is the last line of the mixer editor.
Hobbyking's KK2 Control Board: THE WALKTHROUGH (10 min 12 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
I just went and checked my KK2 and the only "rate" I can find is in the mix editor and the rate there for throttle can't be changed???
Edit: I see in the video that refresh is set to "high" and he seems to be trying to change it, but it stays on high.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydog View Post
I was just reading about the height dampening - if I set the limit to zero then theoretically it would put 0 power available for height dampening and if I still had the problem it would confirm that height damp. is not the problem....
That sounds intuitively right to me. I don't have my KK2 yet to verify.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
A reminder, height dampening works against unintentional or intentional changes in height. Turn it up too much and you will be limiting your own ability to change height.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Did you ever try turning all your gains down, say to about 75% of what they are now? For a test? Not saying it will work, but it might. ESC's ramp up faster than they ramp down. A small (nearly unnoticeable) oscillation can have a jacking up effect which could be fighting the height dampening...
Quote:
I did turn the gains down some and that did make the quad flyable (when I first started having the problem it was very scary and threatening to take off in all directions on me - totally spontaneous and random throttle boosts).
I was just reading about the height dampening - if I set the limit to zero then theoretically it would put 0 power available for height dampening and if I still had the problem it would confirm that height damp. is not the problem....
well from what i gather from theothercliff...your gains could be a little high and height dampening is making things much worse.
best thing to do is to come way down on your gains and height dampening and work your way up.
i think the factory P&I aileron/elevation P gain was something like 50 with a limit of 100. I started the gain @ 10 and have worked my way up to 25 so far.
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
☢ ɴᴏᴏʙ ☢
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Gotta ask, what motors and props do you use on that thing? They look like RCTimer motors to me.
yup u got it right, im using rctimer 2830 1000kv (prop adaptor changed) and GF 8" carbon-nylon props running on 3s
trinco is offline Find More Posts by trinco
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Hi! I just flashed my KK2 to fw 1.5. Self leveling gets better than the fw1.2. I still have to adjust the trims because my multi is drifting slightly to the right. And yawing to the right as well. What will happen if I trim it using my radio? How does ACC trim works anway?
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
elk
Joined May 2001
65 Posts
Quote:
Fred - you are not alone and while I feel sorry that you have this problem as well, I am relieved that I am not alone.
I built and flew my quad for a few flights - KK2 from HK and I believe it came with V1.4. I had zero issues and really liked it - very stable and smooth.
Then I made some changes, added my FPV gear and flashed to 1.5 and ever since then I have had a glitchy throttle. Mine originally was exactly as you describe - jumping up and down but that settled down to a periodic boost or loss of throttle. I can take off very smoothly and hover around a bit, but after 30 seconds or so it will periodically lose all throttle and drop straight down a couple of feet before recovering nice and smoothly. More rarely it will give a boost of throttle and jump straight up a couple of feet before reducing to a normal throttle level. I have tried everything I could think of.
First of all - the FPV gear was removed to eliminate interference - no change.
tried 2 different Rx's. (I am flying on 72mhz)
I found a poor connection on the rudder esc signal wire and fixed - no change.
I left the quad outside for half an hour before flying - no change.
Balanced props, reflashed (but used V1.5 again) - no change.
Checked all connections visually and electrically - all good.
Currently I have taken my quad apart (from when I checked all connections) and it is shelved until I receive a new KK2 (which is on its way) to confirm or eliminate that as the problem. If the new KK2 does not resolve the problem then I am left with the spectre that there is an issue with my radio (Futaba 7CAP).
I guess I should reflash my original board to V1.4 as well to eliminate that as a suspect....

And to theothercliff - thanks very much for your suggestions when I was having my issues. Unfortunately it still was not resolved. Sometimes it would seem to be as it flew nicely for a minute or so but then suddenly whoops! a drop of 2 or 3 feet.
Interesting. I am using a Futaba 7CAP also. I will change to my 9x and see if there is a difference.

But first change H. damp settings.
microdave is offline Find More Posts by microdave
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
question on arming kk2 v1.5 while on an uneven surface:

I have done my acc calibration on a very level floor and i went outside to fly. What i noticed is that when you arm and disarm your quad on a surface that is uneven, the pitch and roll angle on the home screen will read '0', as if it has been calibrated to the floor's angle of incline. does that mean my auto level performance will be affected since the quad thinks it is level while in actual fact it is already at an angle?

without re calibrating the acc, i found a level spot and placed it there. the roll and pitch angle on the home screen showed it had about 4 degrees each. i then proceeded to arm and then disarm the quad. now the roll and pitch angles said '0' degs each. it's as if every time i arm the quad, it is calibrating it's level datum.

can someone please explain what's going on? thanks!
tim2chia88 is offline Find More Posts by tim2chia88
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:07 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2chia88 View Post

I have done my acc calibration on a very level floor and i went outside to fly. What i noticed is that when you arm and disarm your quad on a surface that is uneven, the pitch and roll angle on the home screen will read '0', as if it has been calibrated to the floor's angle of incline. does that mean my auto level performance will be affected since the quad thinks it is level while in actual fact it is already at an angle?

without re calibrating the acc, i found a level spot and placed it there. the roll and pitch angle on the home screen showed it had about 4 degrees each. i then proceeded to arm and then disarm the quad. now the roll and pitch angles said '0' degs each. it's as if every time i arm the quad, it is calibrating it's level datum.

Simply, no!

It's working fine.

Fly it!

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Edit: I see in the video that refresh is set to "high" and he seems to be trying to change it, but it stays on high.
You can only change the rate if a channel is driving a servo (or, more correctly if you set the channel to servo). High rate for digital servos and low for analogue.

The rate stays high if set to ESC.
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 V1.17S1 Updated Firmware
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
I first built a warthox style frame (flydduino.net) with 25 cm aluminum arms. It was fine, but then i tried to make it smaller with 20cm arms. That was fine too. But the big change happened when i decided to go back to wooden arms. I think people underestimate wood when it comes to absorbing vibrations. Having wooden arms absorbes vibrations from each motor indipendently. I noticed a big change and i love it. There are many advantages of using wood i can think of i am not going to list them now.

Here are some pictures, you can go right for a couple more

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/i...3-57A8954618C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
What sort of frame do you have ? ... maybe post a pic. Most of the low gains used on this thread are linked to the use of the awful, flexy, vibrating plastic arm frames. Some get lucky, but many struggle with harmonic vibrations affecting the board. Tricopters often use very long arms so are also prone to vibration.
davibe is offline Find More Posts by davibe
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
yes ok. will try once it stops raining. but why does the roll and pitch angle show zero when you arm it on a different level surface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Simply, no!

It's working fine.

Fly it!

Sudsy
Quote:

tim2chia88 is offline Find More Posts by tim2chia88
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:02 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
A reminder, height dampening works against unintentional or intentional changes in height. Turn it up too much and you will be limiting your own ability to change height.
Never used the Height Damping, left it switched off in the Menu, could not see the point in using my self, a lot better to control it yourself.

Not had any issues flying without it either, just add or remove throttle as required and use all controls together to make the craft do what you want.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:16 AM
Germany, NDS, Celle
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Defective KK2 Board

Hey Guys,

i received my second KK2 Board from Hobbyking. Before wiring everything up, i wanted to flash V1.4 to the Board. This worked fine. But after putting everything on my SK450 together, only M1 starts spinning! I tried the other ESCs/Motors at connector M1 and they work fine. I tried setting back to factory setting and reflash with every possible FW Version, but it changes nothing.
In the End i tried flashing OpenAero, but after that the LCD lights up but stays blank. So I think the Board must be defective.

I also flashed my first KK2 Board with V1.5 to check if there is any problem with my USBASP-Programmer. But my first KK2 still works fine.

Does someone know about this failure or if it is fixable?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Sebastian
Cyrus85 is offline Find More Posts by Cyrus85
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Belgie
Joined Jun 2004
46 Posts
Temp <=> height changes

I have done yesterday a test outside with an Eagle Tree logger , logging the throttle and the amp's . The logging of the throttle signal is done on the leads coming from the reciever. The temp. inside was 23 C and outside 2 C . What I can see on the graphics is that the throttle signal of the reciever goes up and down while trying to keep the throttle stick in the same position. In my opinion it is not directly the board that is suffering under the low temp. but the transmitter throttle signal moves up and down in the cold temp.'s.
The first flight was reasonable OK ( 5 minutes ) but the second and the third flight the quad is going up and down without changing the throttle stick.
Retlaw is online now Find More Posts by Retlaw
Last edited by Retlaw; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:27 AM.