Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
NO NO NO.... we dont want that ;-)
Just trying to keep the fact's strait

With the KK+ i even used a BT dongle and my Android for wireless tuning.
And i'm hoping this option will be available for KK2 soon
I have worked with both code bases, if there is a board called KK+ running multiwii it is unrelated to the KK2 or previous generation boards.

So if we are all about getting our facts straight then you need to be specific about which KK board you are referring to.

There is virtually no chance that a serial port and bt tuning will ever be available for the kk2 since those ports are used for Rx input.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Mr. Breeze
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Nice Video, i wondered what the black stuff was in the still before i ran it.
A bird strike would be nasty.
Thanks! I think one did hit the right front motor...or maybe I hit a treebranch...you can see how sideways the prop is. When I landed only one zip tie was holding that motor on.
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroadtrain View Post
first time I've heard of that too...
I've got a TBS discovery, and asked Raphael about using 10 inch graupners, being that the prop tips would have about an inch between them, were they too close? He assures me that they work fine, and he's been doing great FPV for years... with those props!

I'm still running 9's on mine, and have only three inches between the tips.

Some issues can arise from having props to close to each other, however it is difficult to detect. without writing 10 pages on the areodynamics, props dont just pull air from directly above then and push it straight down, but they pull it from all directions and push it mostly below. Some props will generate vorticies that follow the tip and flow outwards (apparent drag) this disturbed air can interfere with another prop if it is too close, but it does need to be pretty close. back in the controll line racing days we were getting our engines to rev so hard the leading edge of one blade was catching up to the wash from the blade in front and causing a dramatic loss of speed and we experimented (with limited success) with balanced single blade 4x10" props. So, keeping a couple of inches between them is a good idea.

Pete.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
Hey Fella's
10x6 is a bit harsh for a 1000 -1200kv motor.
The one question I recall was about 750kv motors, and those would be about right.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I have worked with both code bases, if there is a board called KK+ running multiwii it is unrelated to the KK2 or previous generation boards.

So if we are all about getting our facts straight then you need to be specific about which KK board you are referring to.

There is virtually no chance that a serial port and bt tuning will ever be available for the kk2 since those ports are used for Rx input.
This board....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445151

and NextCopter plus software....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=349301

And i think i wrote modified MWii GUI

With cppm stream from Rx to board, inputs are available, if i'm not mistaking.
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
The one question I recall was about 750kv motors, and those would be about right.
rule of thumb still applies regardless of KV. 750 KV on "2200 25C 3S nanotech's" at hover, 6" props probably spinning a little too slow.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
rule of thumb still applies regardless of KV. 750 KV on "2200 25C 3S nanotech's" at hover, 6" props probably spinning a little too slow.
I have 750kV rctimer motors on a quad with 11x4.7 propellers. They seem to work very efficiently and quietly on 3 cell battery. I do believe stability suffers slightly compared to a slightly smaller propeller and a little higher kV motor, spinning at higher rpm for the same hover.
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I have 750kV rctimer motors on a quad with 11x4.7 propellers. They seem to work very efficiently and quietly on 3 cell battery. I do believe stability suffers slightly compared to a slightly smaller propeller and a little higher kV motor, spinning at higher rpm for the same hover.

Yes! 11x4.7 should work better for that KV / Cell count combo. I would even go to a 12x4.7 and watch the amps drop a little further.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, FL, Malabar
Joined Oct 2012
102 Posts
KK2 v1.5 auto stabilize working really well.

Happy days. With the new 1.5 version flashed I am seeing progress on my first quadcopter entry into multirotors. I want to give all those struggling a pep talk...keep at it "Youu cannn dooo it!" . My Youtube post has the settings but it really depends on your equipment. Right now I'm playing with the height dampening and it seems to help in the wind. I added a bit set at 5 it wanted to rise and climb in the wind a lot more and it settled it down a bit. Too much height gain above 5-6 and it climbed when I gave it yaw.

KK2 Control Board on SK450 Quadcopter - test in light wind (6 min 9 sec)
Andrew Sommer is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Sommer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post

Yeah I'm afraid that was all my doing.
I had a thing called NeXtcopterPlus running on KK boards which you could wire up with a serial interface to ape the MultiWii format and got a GUI going.
Worked pretty well
Click on my name to look at my blog and go down a bit to the old stuff.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
elk
Joined May 2001
65 Posts
cold weather

I noticed stepflyer does not seam to have any trouble using kk2 in cold weather. I have a t-copter with 1.4 FW. It likes to jump up and down evenly with all three motors. If I run it in the house it does not jump. Outside temp @ 20 deg f. I have tried different H. damp settings. Should I keep trying with H. damp or does anyone have any other ideas how fix the jumping. Everything else works perfect.
microdave is offline Find More Posts by microdave
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
NO NO NO.... we dont want that ;-)
Just trying to keep the fact's strait

With the KK+ i even used a BT dongle and my Android for wireless tuning.
And i'm hoping this option will be available for KK2 soon
It's wonderful that all of these GUI's were written for the KK boards and all variants of the board that came out after it prior to the KK2. BUT, none of them will currently work on the KK2.

OpenAero will work for the KK2 but it's for airplanes only. So if you want to use the KK2 on an airplane, use OpenAero. If you want to use it for a multirotor and the LCD is blank, use the NoLCD firmware and interface. Otherwise, your are SOL.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microdave View Post
I noticed stepflyer does not seam to have any trouble using kk2 in cold weather. I have a t-copter with 1.4 FW. It likes to jump up and down evenly with all three motors. If I run it in the house it does not jump. Outside temp @ 20 deg f. I have tried different H. damp settings. Should I keep trying with H. damp or does anyone have any other ideas how fix the jumping. Everything else works perfect.
Try reducing your I gain.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
My FR4 multirotor with the FreeFlight FC is big, around 28" inches motor to motor. With the SunnySky 980Kv motors and 11x47 props it was much harder to control so I went back to the 10x6 which work very well.

I will have to try the 11x47 on the DT750 motors I have going into a new v-tail with the KK2 board. Never ran the DT750 with anything greater than a 10x6. Thanks for the idea.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroadtrain View Post
first time I've heard of that too...
I've got a TBS discovery, and asked Raphael about using 10 inch graupners, being that the prop tips would have about an inch between them, were they too close? He assures me that they work fine, and he's been doing great FPV for years... with those props!

I'm still running 9's on mine, and have only three inches between the tips.
I don't recall where I learned about the prop spacing but it's something that I strive for when building. Different strokes for different folks flying multirotors!