HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
hello; i am running on a timer. the motors have a max draw of 20 amps.
the lipo's get just a little warm after a flight...but i'm not flying aggresively at all.

my goal is to set this quad up for FPV. i have a fat shark predator V2 kit just sitting there waiting for me to stabalize this craft.
i have thought about running two of the 2200 25C in parallel.

I do have some 2650 35C 3S and some 2200 45C 4S nanotech's.
I built a DJI F450 flamewheel for my son called the K-MAN Kopter and it flew OK on 2200Mah 25C 3S lipo but I did have different motors (Emax CF2822 1200Kv) with 9x5 props. Eventually I had issues with it yawing for no apparent reason so I kept the DJI plates and swapped out the arms for aluminum towel bar rods. Flew much better then. After a few crahes it started oscillating on its own at random and I suspect that one of the motors was bad.

What size props are you running on it? It could be the prop wash is too great between the props and they're feeling the effects of the prop wash between them. For FPV, you will want at least a full prop diameter between prop tips.

Here is a video of the KMAN Kopter with the alum arms on a windy day. Was taken with I believe the 1.1 firmware.

K-Man Kopter On A Windy Day (4 min 21 sec)
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
I

For FPV, you will want at least a full prop diameter between prop tips.
first time I've heard this theory... I FPV a lot and I don't have that much space... seems to work just fine for me
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
thanks for all the help everyone...what a great community!

I reduced some gain values in the P&I settings as well as the Self Level gain settings. Also took the height dampening gain and limit to zero.
the quad is not as snappy to my control as before....but when i flew the craft above my one story house to try and catch some wind/turbulence...it seemed better behaved. went through 4 lipo's without incident....will have to test it out in the windy field again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Just because they are not getting warm does not mean that you are not witnessing a voltage sag. I would retest with the 35C or make that parallel rig for 2x 3s 25C 2200. A standalone battery monitor might be good as well.
good call, i would like to eliminate the lipo factor. going forward i will also test using one of my 2650 35C lipo's.

Quote:
I built a DJI F450 flamewheel for my son called the K-MAN Kopter and it flew OK on 2200Mah 25C 3S lipo but I did have different motors (Emax CF2822 1200Kv) with 9x5 props. Eventually I had issues with it yawing for no apparent reason so I kept the DJI plates and swapped out the arms for aluminum towel bar rods. Flew much better then. After a few crahes it started oscillating on its own at random and I suspect that one of the motors was bad.

What size props are you running on it? It could be the prop wash is too great between the props and they're feeling the effects of the prop wash between them. For FPV, you will want at least a full prop diameter between prop tips.

Here is a video of the KMAN Kopter with the alum arms on a windy day. Was taken with I believe the 1.1 firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIjOeNx431w
thanks for the video...wow...that looks like healthy grass in your back yard. aluminum towl bar rods; ingenious! i have broken all of my hobby king Q450 arms...and am now using 4 out of 6 DJI arm's i ordered. when those go...i may have to try some towl bar rods.

my props are 10X6.
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
my props are 10X6.
Pitch seems quite aggressive for static thrust needs of the multicopter.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
I tried running HK DT750 motors with 10x6 props on the F450 when i first got the frame with the KK2 board. It was a disaster. I think that low KV motors are best for much larger/ridig frames. The 9x5's I ran with the 1200Kv motors were sooo much better.

I have 10x6 props running on SunnySky 980KV motors on my large FR4 quad with the Free Flight board and they are very smooth on large frame. I did try 11x45 and that was just overkill.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
......wow...that looks like healthy grass in your back yard.
Thanks, I had just mowed it to hide all the weeds!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
i am brand new to quads...and flying in general...but the 10X6 props + hobby king NTM750 motors on the DJI450 frame seems pretty stable...

this was a test flight in my drive way...with the same settings that would later cause me to crash twice in different venue (big field with 10-15MPH winds).

sorry....can't see much in the dark.

20121130 kk2 adjustments (1 min 36 sec)
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,870 Posts
KK 2.0 V1.2 firmware on a RCE Tri...This is about the tenth FPV flight.
Tricopter at the Patch (3 min 31 sec)
Ho-Jazz is online now Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
i am brand new to quads...and flying in general...but the 10X6 props + hobby king NTM750 motors on the DJI450 frame seems pretty stable...

this was a test flight in my drive way...with the same settings that would later cause me to crash twice in different venue (big field with 10-15MPH winds).

sorry....can't see much in the dark.

http://youtu.be/k1QlZ0cl2ss
Looks great for your first quad!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Quote:
I am well aware of the OpenAero code for the KK boards and it's for airplanes not multirotors, so I am not wrong.

The original KK board was not designed for airplanes but multirotors and was not usable for airplanes until OpenAero came out.

The new KK2 board was not designed for airplanes but multirotors and was not usable for airplanes until OpenAero came out.
Wrong again !

KK+ and Nextcopter had a modified MWii GUI, and KK board's was also modified for the GUI.
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Wrong again !

KK+ and Nextcopter had a modified MWii GUI, and KK board's was also modified for the GUI.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
For FPV, you will want at least a full prop diameter between prop tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
first time I've heard this theory... I FPV a lot and I don't have that much space... seems to work just fine for me
first time I've heard of that too...
I've got a TBS discovery, and asked Raphael about using 10 inch graupners, being that the prop tips would have about an inch between them, were they too close? He assures me that they work fine, and he's been doing great FPV for years... with those props!

I'm still running 9's on mine, and have only three inches between the tips.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:

Hey Fella's
10x6 is a bit harsh for a 1000 -1200kv motor. The quad may well be stable but the current drain on the battery will be high. dropping the pitch to 10x45 or 10x47 will see quite a drop in the current draw. I started with 10x 6 slow fly props and at hover had a draw of 17.7 amps, dropped to an APC 10x4.7 and reduced amps to 11.8. you do the math... thats a big increase in flight time.
Rule of thumb, Small diameter, big pitch for speed and big diameter, small pitch for power.

Pete.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Jazz View Post
KK 2.0 V1.2 firmware on a RCE Tri...This is about the tenth FPV flight.
Nice Video, i wondered what the black stuff was in the still before i ran it.
A bird strike would be nasty.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:19 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Quote:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

NO NO NO.... we dont want that ;-)
Just trying to keep the fact's strait

With the KK+ i even used a BT dongle and my Android for wireless tuning.
And i'm hoping this option will be available for KK2 soon
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil