Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
sorry if it's been asked before...

which one gives a better cal :

- ESC cal through KK2?
- ESC cal through a 4in1 pin header connected to Th channel receiver?
- ESC cal done1 by 1 through throttle channel receiver?

are all of them the same result?
All through KK2 at the same time is the best way. v1.5 has an expanded servo pulse range.

All at the same time through Throttle channel in Rx is next best because you know they are all the same.

Separately is worst because they may be calibrated a little differently, but if done carefully is also OK.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
After some trimming I managed to make it work in Self level mode. My ony thing is that it is UP or DOWn in throttle. A click of + throttle it speeds and a click of - throttle it goes down I cant make it hover stable :P
This is where you put exponential in on the throttle channel so that it is very insensitive around the hover point.

Also note that if it is tuned too sensitive so that it is oscillating, that altitude will be very hard to hold in one place.
Last edited by theothercliff; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, NJ, Lincoln Park
Joined Apr 2005
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
If you are below tree-top level, RTH will crash into a tree and potentially burn an ESC there (depending on how smart the ESC firmware is).
I had this happen with a NAZA. It overshot the home point and would not let me resume control by switching off RTH. It stayed running full bore in that tree for hours XD. No more NAZA for me, the KK2.0 fly's better in rate mode IMO anyway, which is what I use.
RC_Kid is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kid
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,893 Posts
30 dollar board gonna put naza out to pasture...lol.....
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kid View Post
I had this happen with a NAZA. It overshot the home point and would not let me resume control by switching off RTH. It stayed running full bore in that tree for hours XD. No more NAZA for me, the KK2.0 fly's better in rate mode IMO anyway, which is what I use.
Must have been some hell of a battery to keep running for hours
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
Hi
I have just completed my first quad using a KK2 LCD controller.

It flies great with Emax 2822 motors and 20a HK Esc's. 8x 4.5 props

Presently using 2200ma 3s lipo's

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use larger Lipo's (3s) and if so,how large.

Thanks
Thank you to everyone who replied to my question, much appreciated.
For info, I am getting around 9 mins with the EMax 2822s ,I am quite happy with this.

I have another small problem, when I use the rudder to spin the quad left, as well as turning left it also dips slightly as if using the aeileron ,

I have not touched the lcd control at all,could there be a setting that I need to put in.?
geedee is online now Find More Posts by geedee
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:48 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Does it still think that the M1 is connected to the left motor when you connect it to Yaw motor? If so then it could be a gyro calibration where it thinks it needs to level itself. Spinning faster and faster would come from I gain. Does the problem (motor getting faster and faster) go away if you set all your I gains to 0 for a test? If so, then see if it also goes away if you hold that multicopter arm higher.
Hello! I was curious to see if I can low down Motor's speed with sub trim. So to make it run like the other 2, I made the sub trim to -35 and a little bit of elev -10. It flies! But why so much (-35) I don't get it. Any advises for PI gains? I really don't know anything about these....
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
All through KK2 at the same time is the best way. v1.5 has an expanded servo pulse range.

All at the same time through Throttle channel in Rx is next best because you know they are all the same.

Separately is worst because they may be calibrated a little differently, but if done carefully is also OK.
thanks theothercliff for your argumented answer.

how does expanded servo pulse range work?
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
I have another small problem, when I use the rudder to spin the quad left, as well as turning left it also dips slightly as if using the aeileron ,

I have not touched the lcd control at all,could there be a setting that I need to put in.?
First question that comes to mind is "Is it marginally powered?" If so then when you do anything that reduces power here and increases it there, the increase is limited to 100%.
Last edited by theothercliff; Dec 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
Hello! I was curious to see if I can low down Motor's speed with sub trim. So to make it run like the other 2, I made the sub trim to -35 and a little bit of elev -10. It flies! But why so much (-35) I don't get it. Any advises for PI gains? I really don't know anything about these....
It sounds like the board was not mounted level to the frame since you calibrated it or you need to redo "sensor calibration" again. Perhaps you moved it too soon when doing the sensor calibration.

If I were having these problems, and redoing "sensor calibration" did not fix them, I would copy down the settings that I have so far and start over from the very beginning. Remove props. Flash the latest firmware. Go through each line in the LCD menu to understand what it does. Research the things I didn't understand on Google and Youtube.

I found that this video was helpful for understanding and this video was helpful for tuning

Good luck!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
thanks theothercliff for your argumented answer.

how does expanded servo pulse range work?
I am not sure. I only recall hearing that what we see as the amount of servo throw (/ESC throttle setting) was changed in v1.5. I think it was to help the ESCs to see a low enough throttle setting to arm correctly or for similar reasons during ESC calibration.

In v1.5 at least, you can set the minimum throttle setting (default 10?) and maximum throttle setting (default 90?) to get around ESC arming and calibration problems.

I have not received my KK2 board yet. This is just what I have researched here and elsewhere.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:51 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
I am not sure. I only recall hearing that what we see as the amount of servo throw (/ESC throttle setting) was changed in v1.5. I think it was to help the ESCs to see a low enough throttle setting to arm correctly or for similar reasons during ESC calibration.

In v1.5 at least, you can set the minimum throttle setting (default 10?) and maximum throttle setting (default 90?) to get around ESC arming and calibration problems.

I have not received my KK2 board yet. This is just what I have researched here and elsewhere.

Here's my settings:

TRANSMITTER TRIMS - Hitec Eclipse 7

------------------------SUBTRIM-----TRIM-----EPA L/U-----EPA R/D
Aileron:---Ch 1---------- -5 ---------- 0
Elevator:-Ch 2--------- +5 ---------- 0
Throttle:--Ch 3-------- -12----------- 0 -------- 122%
Rudder:--Ch 4--------- +4 ---------- -2
Reverse Channels 2, 4, 5
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
wheres the "like" button?lol.....
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, NJ, Lincoln Park
Joined Apr 2005
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Brushles motors don't take much power once all the props have been broken off.

It also kept running, down till about 6 volts as read on the telemetry. Somehow, the 3Cell recovered fully with no puffing and I am still using it!
RC_Kid is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kid
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kid View Post
Brushles motors don't take much power once all the props have been broken off.

It also kept running, down till about 6 volts as read on the telemetry. Somehow, the 3Cell recovered fully with no puffing and I am still using it!
what brand?