SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
Does a SimonK flashed ESC need any setup other than throttle calibration?
Just throttle calibration
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered Addict
Bodų, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordwest View Post
Nope, there are no other setup possibilities on a SimonK ESC ;-)
Thanks =)

I guess its just the regular start with full throttle, wait for beep beep, lower throttle?
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:29 AM
knows the last digit of Pi...
Joined Sep 2009
74 Posts
Yes, thats the way it workes for me (maybe need to give it a second try sometimes because only 3 ESCs take the settings in the first run - might be an issue with the cheack HK SS esc's).

But after this they worked fine. To really improve the behaviour of the ESC's i read somewhere that it is best to change to CPPM mode because "normal" mode only works with 7 bit (so you get about 125 steps instead of around 100 of the ESC - which is a great improvement) compared to 11 bit (which is used in CPPM mode) so you get around 800 steps on the same ESC.

Anybody can confirm this?
nordwest is offline Find More Posts by nordwest
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:40 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
To really improve the behaviour of the ESC's i read somewhere that it is best to change to CPPM mode because "normal" mode only works with 7 bit (so you get about 125 steps instead of around 100 of the ESC - which is a great improvement) compared to 11 bit (which is used in CPPM mode) so you get around 800 steps on the same ESC.

Anybody can confirm this?
CPPM just mean that the FC receives the information from the receiver on a single pin, one channel at a time, instead of one pin for each channel.
This should have no effect on what goes on between FC and ESC.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:47 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
I switched from PWM to CCPM in my KK2 board.

No other improvements than single cable from reciever fo FC board, and that's what i wanted.
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
74 Posts
Thx for the update - I read something about this on multiwii forum - maybe it is specific to the multiwii FC....
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Sep 2009
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
I switched from PWM to CCPM in my KK2 board.

No other improvements than single cable from reciever fo FC board, and that's what i wanted.
How did you connect it? (sorry for stupid question, have no experiance with CCPM) I use Spektrum/Orange receivers.... so channel 1 goes to to channel 1 on FC and thats it?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:57 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
How did you connect it? (sorry for stupid question, have no experiance with CCPM) I use Spektrum/Orange receivers.... so channel 1 goes to to channel 1 on FC and thats it?
I'm using 433 mhz eLeReS system, but in general you have to:

1. enable PPM output in your reciever
2. connect PPM out channel to channel 1@KK2.
3. enable ccpm kk2
4. reciever test -> make sure everything works as before
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Start with a lot of patience!

Good luck!

I have never been able to get it to work for me. I have a new USBasp cable/loader coming in the mail. I use a PC but if you use a MAC i hear it's a piece of cake.

I suppose the directions are somewhere on page 1 of this thread.

Sudsy
It's easy setup on PC too
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
I have a question for kapteinkuk or anyone who feels like giving hints.

I have had problems flying with autolevel off and doing acrobatic stuff with my quadcopter. I described problems some posts ago. I received feedback but had no luck solving them. Basically what happens is that while yawing the quadcopter does not keep very stable (with autolevel off). It may go up, down, but also in one side, backward. so i always have to correct it with ele / ail. This becomes difficult when you're going fast and far to do acrobatic figures.

In last days I have looked around and seen I am not the only one having these yaw-relaed problems and I'm starting to think that kk2.0 is great for stable flight (autolevel on) and simple stuff but it's not as great when it comes to acrobatic flight (unless you have a model that luckly works fine).

I am not sure whether this is a software problem or an hardware limitation of kk2.0. I don't want to "speak bad" about kk2.0, which is a great FC anyway. I'm trying to understand if such problems are being investigated and hopefully solved in a near future or if I need to move on to a MWC based flight controller.

I'm talking only about MWC because other users having my problems ended up changin the FC to a multiwii compabile board and they say it's much better (for acrobatic flight).

Thanks.
davibe is offline Find More Posts by davibe
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tbird View Post
I've been flying a KK2 (micro quad) once a day for months. Why once a day?? Because on the second fly it will drop a leg and crash. It's kind of the club joke quad because the first flight is always great. You can really hodrod it around and self level is great too. Then it starts to fall to the point where it won't hover after two packs. I'll wait till the next day and its once again a perfect flier, once.

I think I'm using FW 1.2 but it maybe 1.1. I thought it maybe a heat issue but it lives outside in my box and I've flown it in 110°heat down to 45° and it's the same.

So I'll move to FW 1.4 and try it out. If it doesn't fix it then the KK2 is out. Unless someone here who's been following this mega thread has and idea, or can point me to a posting.
It is stll early days as I have only flown my quad once since reflash from 1.2 to 1.5 the difference even for the two minutes I flew in the rain , as I just had to test it, was obvious( I am in the UK crap weather for about five years now)

I had bad high P type shivers though P was set low + hard to control ,ossilating noise from motors all gone ......I hope

Just got to set up the I and self level
Upup is online now Find More Posts by Upup
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
I don't think the Spektrum compatible OrangeRX receivers are CCPM compatible but you never know. Checked HK website and it does not mention it.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I found the self-level P gain was causing jitters on my smaller quad. I had to PI in manual or turn down self-level gain in order to get it tuned up.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
I don't think the Spektrum compatible OrangeRX receivers are CCPM compatible but you never know.
It is, but it has no CPPM output.
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,842 Posts
dont need any of that anyway, do you?
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH