HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:22 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
With any version of self level it should be impossible to flip with the motors running. I think it's been mentioned that the sticks max out around 45 degrees off level.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
What kind of motors are you using
Exceed rc's optima 450 1050kv outrunners...strong little motors... not specd for 4s but they barely get warm during these flights...
danielnc06 is offline Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
Firstly I don't believe it is the ESC beeping, the esc sends a signal to the motor which causes it to vibrate, ( thats the beeping) when the motor is spinning it cannot beep. How old and what "C" rating are you batteries? The voltage alarm will sound during a high power drain state and then stop when the demand for power decreases and the voltage comes back up above the alarm set point. Do you have your ESC's set to "Lipo" or "NiCad". If set to "Lipo" 1 or more of them will slow or stop in the same high power demand state, some Esc's will stop completly and others will return to normal after the voltage comes back up.
Also, just a theory, but what FW are you using? (I am not willing to blame the FW until I have more info)

Pete.
Escs have simonk firmware and voltage alarm is off...the simonk firmware is great..mainly because it is so simple. Never had any issues with running it on my other quads.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello! If you are using RCTimer 20A without external oscillators. See the ATmega8 datasheet figure 170 (page 268). In short, the oscillator slows down from about 8MHz at 25C (5V Vcc) to about 7.7MHz at 85C. That means that a PWM input of what was 50% throttle at 1500s will start to look like a pulse that is only 1443s long, or 44.375% throttle if calibrated to a 1000-2000s range. This is the downside of using the ATmega8 without an external oscillator.

Hmm, those ESCs don't have switching regulators, just linear UTC 78D05AL with no resistors to avoid current hogging, last I checked. Assuming they are the same part, voltage will also typically sag from 5V to 4.964V over the same 60C temperature rise, which may cause heating at the ESCs if they are paralleled, but they are also paralleled on the ESC itself.

It doesn't look to me like it was just one motor, it looks like the throttle hit 0 or the ESCs stopped receiving input and timed out. The exact timing of the throttle cut on input timeout can actually vary quite a bit on the version RCTimer is, I think, still shipping, so if input to all stops, the throttle cut time probably won't match and could easily cause it to fall like that. Anyway, my first guess would be that the control input stopped...Maybe a voltage sag or thermal shut-off on the BEC, or something. Are the ESCs warming at all? If you FFT the audio from that video, you might see some "input lost" beeps, but they are really quite weak beeps and it plays them while the motors are spinning, and just once, so that will probably be difficult to pick out.
Yeah these rctimers were the preflashed version on a blue pcb where as the ones that i flashed for other quads were on red pcb and obviously a different board layout...not sure which brand/copy...they were from a year or so ago...

The escs get just warm to the touch... not hot at all...barely noticeable temperature difference in 60* F weather.

I suspected hardware failure...the jitter problem i mentioned would occur after high throttle forward flight... when it woild start it was stabilized but jittery vertically and sputter.. like a rough idleing engine...and loss of power... not enough to crash though....power cycling and different batteries wouldnt fix it... only letting it sit for 10-15 minutes would... then it would fly great until i did a high current draw activity....

Thanks simonk!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I don't see a step where you load the correct motor layout, are you sure you are in quad X?
no, not quad x. Im in hex x. its a hex frame...

I bought it from 'vocanlo' but clearly the pic says 'goodluck'

..I had to redrill 14 holes, the arms werent made properly.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I've been looking all morning for a US seller of the KK2. Anyone kow of a seller?

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I've been looking all morning for a US seller of the KK2. Anyone kow of a seller?

Tom
Here ya go

http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplaycate...2D+Stabilizers
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
yep ,and i order my props there to .good prices and you can buy singles if you want .
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Outstanding gentlemen. Thank you. Not being a PC or computer type I like the ease of use with these things. Built my first quad and it flys great. Still tweaking it a little like self level. Thanks again.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:19 AM
***** on a stick
United Kingdom, England, Solihull
Joined Sep 2011
70 Posts
My first effort at video editing - The tricopter uses a KK2.0 board running v1.4 and has self-leveling activated. Really super-stable for FPV and gave me the courage to try it properly for the first time.

Mr Kapteinkuk, you are a genius!!

Tricopter FPV GoPro HD (4 min 36 sec)
seibernator is offline Find More Posts by seibernator
Last edited by seibernator; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seibernator View Post
My first effort at video editing - The tricopter uses a KK2.0 board running v1.4 and has self-leveling activated. Really super-stable for FPV and gave me the courage to try it properly for the first time.

Mr Kapteinkuk, you are a genius!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HRJHDkKDIlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hi, to share a YouTube video, just copy the actual link (not the embedded one) then click on the hyperlink icon (under the white smiley face) in this edit window, and paste the link in there.

Like this:
Tricopter FPV GoPro HD (4 min 36 sec)
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
***** on a stick
Joined Sep 2011
70 Posts
Thanks, I did that but only the link shows up and not the embeded video as above.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
***** on a stick
Joined Sep 2011
70 Posts
Doh, sorted - thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Just as another endorsement of the KK2. I recently got a flip MWC 1.5 FC board ( 6dof like the KK2, but different sensor ). It's nice and all, but the back and forth to the computer is killing me. I know that eventually it will be tuned up for the board and I have a lot more expansion, but the learning curve for MWC was far higher than I expected.

The boards also suffer from some thermal drift as well and do not auto-calibrate the gyros on arming. They dumb down the 6050 readings and in some ways the math on the KK2 seems superior ( after looking at both sets of source code ).

The good is that I feel like yawing is not so much of a chore under MWC for whatever reason, virtually no tilt/favoring one side when doing simple or even aggressive turns. I also feel like it holds altitude better.

Still going to be keeping my KK2 on one of my quads as well as using the spare for some experimental code. I think there is still a lot of room for improvement in the integration of all sensor data into some more accurate and valuable readings.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
Hi SimonK! my F330 also jitters on a hover, maybe that's around 50% throttle and i'm using flashed F20 esc, on FFF and fast descent no jitter.. is there a cure for it?
thanks in advance!
mandis
That sounds like a pid issue if it is always there....my jitter was intermittent..