HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I got a GLB X525 for my first quad copter. It had a Multi Wii board and the programmer was defective. Well waiting for a replacement programmer I got the KK2 thinking it would be better for me being a noob to these. I have the KK2 in it but I'm having some issues with it. The motors keep pulsing and I don't know why? Any help is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/ZrxiOvNqIQE
It looks like very high gains. What is your gains?
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Help!

I have successfully flown four or five tricopters using old gyros and more recently the KK1 board.

Current set-up:
KK2
Tricopter
DX8
Orange RX

Problem: no output to yaw servo !

Other info: the RX will drive the servo (and others) fine. Curiously, when I plug the servo into motor output from the KK2, expecting it to move proportional to desired motor power output, it doesn't move either. I have only only ESC#1 powering the KK2, it provides 5.12v to the board.

Also, the accelerometers and gyros seems to be working fine according to the KK2 board.

The board seems to provide no power to the center (+) pin relative to the outer (-) pin on the servo output position.

Why isn't the KK2 driving the servo? Help!

Ideas?

SLCPilot
SLCPilot is offline Find More Posts by SLCPilot
Last edited by SLCPilot; Jul 13, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
It looks like very high gains. What is your gains?
It would seem very high is correct. I was under the impression it would some what work out of the box, lol. I moved them a bit but it wasn't till I greatly reduced them i got some control. I also have to have the Self level and I of PI off or it wants to flip over as soon as I apply throttle. Thank you. Now just trying to figure out what the differance between gain, limit, P & I and how does this effect it and how to set them.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
I built my 2nd Quad this week - the SK450 from hobbyking, a snazzy DJI knockoff - with my 2nd KK2 board. As of this morning, anything more than 20 Pgain would have it wobbling all over the place (embarrassingly so). So I ran to the local hobby shop and got myself a prop balancer and WOW, what a difference balanced props make! I did a very quick and dirty job on the 8045 Turnigy props with electrical tape and it made a ton of difference. I have Pgain and Igain at 55 now - it's tons more stable with just a very slight shimmy now and then. It's very flyable - I've been tearing all over my front yard, trying to avoid all the trees (50' tall on all sides pretty much). Accelerate, turn, accelerate, turn, repeat. The poor thing has spent most of its life tipped on its right or left edges at least 45degrees, but it flies great! I'm going to do a little more balancing work at some point, but now my biggest problem is only 2 battery packs.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
A photo of my new Quad on my favorite backyard landing pad.

Name: IMG_20120713_160119.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 326.8 KB
Description:
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
It would seem very high is correct. I was under the impression it would some what work out of the box, lol. I moved them a bit but it wasn't till I greatly reduced them i got some control. I also have to have the Self level and I of PI off or it wants to flip over as soon as I apply throttle. Thank you. Now just trying to figure out what the differance between gain, limit, P & I and how does this effect it and how to set them.
See the manual and the Q&A's in the first post.

That is a very low gain for a large quad. What ESCs do you have? Slow responding ESCs make it hard to tune.

I am going to write a new step-by-step text for the PI tuning, hoping to make it easier to understand and do.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Westland Michigan.
Joined Jan 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
see the manual and the q&a's in the first post.

I am going to write a new step-by-step text for the pi tuning, hoping to make it easier to understand and do.
yes,yes,yes
mikemijal is offline Find More Posts by mikemijal
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemijal View Post
yes,yes,yes
I second that "yes,yes,yes"!!!
you're the man KK!
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Here's a quad I built that had a dirty frame and clean frame, with the camera, KK board and battery all mounted to the clean side (a stiff carbon tube). If the battery wasn't strapped down tight it didn't work very well, but when strapped down REALLY tight... Worked nicely, nice enough to use cheap hk props and prop savers (as a test, I prefer apc props and collet style prop adapters or threaded shafts).

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....olation-method!
Thats cool .... thinking outside the square there ..
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
See the manual and the Q&A's in the first post.

That is a very low gain for a large quad. What ESCs do you have? Slow responding ESCs make it hard to tune.

I am going to write a new step-by-step text for the PI tuning, hoping to make it easier to understand and do.
I have plush esc's on my quad and at this moment my gains are P 45 and I at 60 like some youtube video suggested. Managed to fly it with these gains but still it wasn't very flyable. So I am lowering gains before next flight. I have Talon v2 frame.
primeri is offline Find More Posts by primeri
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:28 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Here is one way to damp vibrations:

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/...ngtheAPM2Board

The tension and thickness of those o-rings could be used to tune out resonance.

A buddy of mine made a "weight box" for the APM2 board on his quad. It's a no more than a small Radio Shack project enclosure, half filled with epoxy, and stuck to the frame with gyro tape. I guess both ideas could be combined, then you wouldn't have to be so good at balancing props, LOL!

Kev
This idea is pretty neat too. For any vibration dampening to work, the means of dampening must work with the weight of the object being dampened. Think of it like a Japanese 1 ton pickup. They ride okay with 1 ton onboard, but unladen the springs simply don't work, and its like the suspension has been welded up. The springs (dampening ... foam ... o-rings) are too stiff for the weight being carried. I figure for foam to have much effect the board "should" virtually sink into it under its own weight. Ballast boxes etc attached to the flight controller do 2 things. They add weight to the flight controller so making any dampeners work better, and they influence the frequency of the vibrations. I have a couple of flight boards where the instructions suggest attaching a coin to the top of the board to add some weight ... and it did help in that instance.

Mark
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeri View Post
I have plush esc's on my quad and at this moment my gains are P 45 and I at 60 like some youtube video suggested. Managed to fly it with these gains but still it wasn't very flyable. So I am lowering gains before next flight. I have Talon v2 frame.
Convention suggests pulling your I gains well down first. Start increasing P until you get occilations, then back off P a little ... then start increasing I. P too high, fast occilations, I too high, slower occilations.

If you find that your P gains are still low, its time to start looking for causes ... usually vibration ... balance propellers at least. With re-flashed esc's you can also fly with higher gains.
Last edited by kaz1104; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPilot View Post
Help!

I have successfully flown four or five tricopters using old gyros and more recently the KK1 board.

Current set-up:
KK2
Tricopter
DX8
Orange RX

Problem: no output to yaw servo !

Other info: the RX will drive the servo (and others) fine. Curiously, when I plug the servo into motor output from the KK2, expecting it to move proportional to desired motor power output, it doesn't move either. I have only only ESC#1 powering the KK2, it provides 5.12v to the board.

Also, the accelerometers and gyros seems to be working fine according to the KK2 board.

The board seems to provide no power to the center (+) pin relative to the outer (-) pin on the servo output position.

Why isn't the KK2 driving the servo? Help!

Ideas?

SLCPilot
Plug in the BEC from ESC #2. The #1 slot exclusively powers the KK2 board, it does not share power with the other motor slots. All the other slots (2-8) are in parallel.
Brainanator is offline Find More Posts by Brainanator
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,893 Posts
Quote:
Bobepine yours is very well tuned
Thanks, Kev, but to be honest, I have little to do with that. That's how it almost flew out of the box. I had a bit of oscillation and all I did is reduce the gain in small increments. The oscillation soon stopped. I didn't touch any PI values. All stock settings. I guess I'm lucky because other folks have to do a bit more tuning than this.

I use micro heli feathering shaft o-rings between the standoffs and the board to help absorb vibration. Maybe that helps. As mentioned, all my quads run KK boards. They never required much tuning at all. I run a Korean firmware by minso kim on my older KK boards because I never managed to get KK's 4.7 version to work for me. I believe I'm missing important steps in the setup process.

On this quad I use the KK2 board which inherently runs a firmware by KK and joy oh joy, it's a lot more stable. Plus, it's been a breeze to setup. (Aside from my initial confusion with the ESCs connections ) I can officially recant what I said earlier. This board has actually been very user friendly for me. The LCD interface is very simple and easy to navigate and the instructions are excellent. Two thumbs up from me!

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:08 AM
Malaysia, Penang, George Town
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Hi KK,

I intend to try out your new board on a Vtail in my next build, since the FW does not have a Vtail configuration, I guess the route to go is to use X or Y4 and use mix to get the desired result. Would help if you could point me in the the right direction and maybe some hints on the mix ratio as a starting point.

Thank you
Eddie
Eddfoo is offline Find More Posts by Eddfoo