SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2011
51 Posts
kk2 setup

I'm new to the quads and have been reading alot about the settings and there are alot of different ones out there. I understand that each quad will be different but what I'm needing is a good starting point. I just need for someone to give me some info on starting out with the quad such as setting the p and i gains. Should I leave the limits alone or does it matter.
jabbey71 is offline Find More Posts by jabbey71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
Have a look at the very first post of page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbey71 View Post
I'm new to the quads and have been reading alot about the settings and there are alot of different ones out there. I understand that each quad will be different but what I'm needing is a good starting point. I just need for someone to give me some info on starting out with the quad such as setting the p and i gains. Should I leave the limits alone or does it matter.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
Try this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilja0BjlBE
He is using a mac but it is the same process. I use win7 and had no probs getting it to run once I found the right file to run. The file is the KKmulticopterflashtool, its a Windows Command File of 1kb in size. a dos type window will appear... wait a few seconds and a second dos window will pop up, if the second window doesn't pop up close the first dos window and double click the file again.

Best of luck.

Pete.
ahh, the first window would pop up and then immediately shut.
Im using win7, 64bit.
Smithy (knobby1) told me what to do: >>install Java 64bit.<<
once I installed that, it works as you said...
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Apr 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
For the record, my USBasp came from HK and it did have the jumper block but no jumper in place... I stole a jumper from an old motherboard (old ide hard disks would have them too) and away things went.
Here are some pictures of the jumper. This board came from Hobby King. If I got one without the jumper I would just push the two pins together and add a bit of solder. Or you could just twist a piece of wire around the pins. It's a jumper.

Sudsy
ssoap is offline Find More Posts by ssoap
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2008
39 Posts
Food for Thought

I have been having a lot of fun flying my new little micro quad around the room.

I just accidently picked up a discharged battery and armed and attempted to fly. I have a bunch of LED lights and they went dim and thats when I realized my mistake.

It had flown well just before.

I put a fully charged pack in (500Mhr 3c) and armed and tried to take off. It was wacky. I held it and spun it up and moved it. Then I tried safe mode back to arm. That didn't work. Motor number 3 (quad X) didn't spin up.

Disconnected battery after disarming.

Checked over .

Re-connected pack and armed. It flies great again.

Maybe a Low Voltage situation has an effect on KK2 boards.

From a pretty stable hover it all of the sudden went hard right aileron.

Sudsy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaz View Post
I have tried reversing the 6pin plug, and also connect power to m1 thought it would be powered by usb, but now have tried those things, but it does exatly the same and gives same message. what can i be doing wrong? i have another kk 2.0 board but im afraid to try it also what if it also goes blank in screen. Anyone have other ideas what im doing wrong?
I only can say.

if the lcd doesn't light up in any direction you plug the programmer to the ISP. Then the programmer doesn't pass throw the 5V, is damaged, problem in the cable from progrramer to board or the USB port doesn't provide enough power.

If the lcd lights up. And it doesn't get a connection, either the board is broken, the usbasp has a problem or the cable.

I had a very hard case in a german forum, at the end after replacing nearly everything he soldered a new ATmega on the baord and was able to flash it.
Also there were some HK USBasp shipped without the Jumper. And some that doesn't work at all.
But when the program comes to the point it says that it can't connect to the board bla bla error -1 then it definitely is a hardware problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroadtrain View Post
DONE!!
Knobby1 told me where I was going wrong..
I needed java64 bit..
d/l that, and it all works fine now..

flashed the FC with 1.4, ready for my next crash!!!
Yes you need the right Java for your system. 32bit Java for 32 bit OS and 64bit for 64bit OS. That is also mentioned in the manual and the FAQ of the tool.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Apr 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
I only can say.
. That is also mentioned in the manual and the FAQ of the tool.

Best Christian

Manual, There's a manual? Where?

Sudsy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
Hi Jorg,

Your English is WAY better than my Austrian....I'm amazed at how many people are multi-lingual on this forum....I have a hard enough time just getting my own language correct...!!!

Cheers,
Smithy.
Smithy,
whenever you attempt to improve your austrian language and you are "around the corner", feel free to contact me and have one or two or afew coffee or a little stay at my house,
same to all fellow rcgroup members: whenever you are in good olŽEurope, Austria, Carinthia feel free to get in contact if you need help or just for fun.

Today I will have a few more tuning flights with my Quad and I hope that everything goes ok ... otherwise I know where to get solutions for possible problems
Seebodener is offline Find More Posts by Seebodener
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:04 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoap View Post
Sudsy
Look at the title of this thread please...
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoap View Post

Sudsy
its in the first post in this thread..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
:
Yes you need the right Java for your system. 32bit Java for 32 bit OS and 64bit for 64bit OS. That is also mentioned in the manual and the FAQ of the tool.

Best Christian
Hmm, I can't remember why I did chose to use 32-bit Java, but that is what I use to run kkFlashTool on my Win7-64 box. All I had to do to make it run was edit the .bat file to include the path to the javaw, and then it just worked, and works great.

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin>java -showversion
java version "1.7.0_09"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_09-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
I was previously flashing out of an ubuntu virtualbox on the same computer but that option got whacked by incessant security/stability patches to Win7, Virtualbox, and Ubuntu.

Making computers and software work in a stable fashion has become so difficult with the complexity and unintended interactions that occur. I can certainly understand why people lose it...

Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Last edited by Dirt-Torpedo; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Flashing on my Mac is as easy as drag and drop. Trying the same on w7 was a hair pulling experience getting the drivers installed. My understanding is that w8 is worse.

Maybe someone needs to design a stand alone box that works over bt and can flash avr, Silabs, and others. Remove the unstable part of the equation.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Making computers and software work in a stable fashion has become so difficult with the complexity and unintended interactions that occur. I can certainly understand why people lose it...
I know its totally OT but this is only true with Windows.

I was awestruck when i first watched 7:00minutes video "how to flash your KK2", and got to skip from 1:00 to 6:00, because it was description how to trickle windows to recognize and work with usbasp.

On mac you just plug the usb-dongle and baam, it's there, i've flashed my board literally in 15 secs.

Sad to see how much time ppl are wasting with their os's flaws instead of flying.

And this win-java-usbasp problem repeats in this and simonk thread's every two pages !
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
Just done the firmware update and im impressed at how much better the SL feels now, it definately feels more 'locked in' then it did before.

My board has now developed 2 dead lines on the LCD which im a bit miffed about, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix it or does it need to be returned to HK?

Thanks.
whirlywizz is offline Find More Posts by whirlywizz
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
You can try to make sure the ribbon cable is secure, but be careful since you could just as easily make it worse if not careful. The best way would be to unsolder the backlight and then mess with it, but that is a real pain.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide