SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
well my soldering....I havent solder in the past 5 years or so.....
I think I know what went wrong: the wire I used was to thick for the hole in the board so I cut a few strands so it passes through the hole. I passed the wire from top to bottom and soldered in the bottom of the board. now one of the remains of the cutted strands was touching the little thing, I have no idea what its called, that is just aft of the hole in the top of the board, I pulled it right away. could that be the problem? is there any life after this or I have to get a new FC?
I can't seem to be able to find my multimeter to test what you mention.
alumina is offline Find More Posts by alumina
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:48 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
For those that have problems with self-level: Have you balanced motors and propellers, or at least balanced the propellers?

Too much vibrations may cause the accelerometer output to clip, and if the waveform is asymmetric, this may introduce error in the output. This also may happen to the gyros.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
I for one did not balance my props. I'm using the stock 8" DJI props and the goofy keyway was giving me some problems with the balancer cones. Sure I'm not the first person to run into this but I still haven't found an answer.

I did discover that the sticky tape holding the LCD on my new controller was not working, and the board is behaving better since I tacked the LCD down to the plastic frame with hot glue.

Clipped input tracking might be a nice feature to have in the firmware.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
a quick question. i was finally able to get this quad out in the open..and i was doing some very fast forward flight wide open throttle and it flew great...after a few runs.. it starting this weird jitter...like a car engine sputtering...hopping very small hops with less power.. but it still was stabilized.. the occasional cutout would make it lean and aggrevating to control but do-able... it will continue this jitter... even after a battery swap out and power cycle...

i let it sit for a bit while i fly my naza and try it again.. and it flies fine again until I do some long(2-3 seconds) max throttle forward flights. then it starts the jitter again...its not a pid jitter... and the kk2 board runs fine(not brownout)

now the part that confuses me...while its doing the jittery hovers i can hear the kk2 beeping randomly through the piezo buzzer...voltage alarm is off (0).

motors and escs(20A) are barely warm.. no smell of burning motors..battery is a 40C 4000mah

i have some possible problems, please help me brainstorm...

-could be a faulty esc being intermitten after long pulls
-a bad coil in a motor?...

next step is to swap to an old kk board to rule out the kk2.

anyone know what the beep is and have had any similar behaviors....
danielnc06 is offline Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
I'm leaning toward a faulty esc. Are you using a separate BEC, or built-in?

Being clueless on what part of the code could cause that beep, my guess has to be hardware... issues on the 5V line?

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
My first guess would be failing ESC as well. I'm dealing with that myself right now. It will hover, but as soon as I give it throttle it just starts to give out.

Start simple, identify the ESC/motor and swap the ESC with another motor, does the problem follow the ESC or the motor? Resolder any connections on the questionable item and refly. Replace ESC or motor that is failing if problem persists.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
I for one did not balance my props. I'm using the stock 8" DJI props and the goofy keyway was giving me some problems with the balancer cones. Sure I'm not the first person to run into this but I still haven't found an answer.

I did discover that the sticky tape holding the LCD on my new controller was not working, and the board is behaving better since I tacked the LCD down to the plastic frame with hot glue.

Issue one... ditch the DJI props LOL! I've been really, really liking how mine performs with GWS HD props actually. They're way more durable too, and you'll never lose one in flight like sometimes happens with SF props. Coming from a heavy background in props & motors... quad guys tend to overspeed the SF style props, LOL! Those SF props ain't meant for real power output like an HD or "e" prop is.

So, they still haven't fixed that loose LCD issue yet; this is a known issue that was reported when the first round of KK2's were put to use. My first KK2 LCD popped off before I even installed it, but my second one has been through hell and back but the LCD is still attached. I fixed the first one with 4 tiny drops of shoe goo to tack it down on the corners. Do that to yours, and it ain't comin' off, ever.

Kev
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
My first guess would be failing ESC as well. I'm dealing with that myself right now. It will hover, but as soon as I give it throttle it just starts to give out.

Start simple, identify the ESC/motor and swap the ESC with another motor, does the problem follow the ESC or the motor? Resolder any connections on the questionable item and refly. Replace ESC or motor that is failing if problem persists.
Yeah, because it doesn't sound like a loss of sync (screeching noise) or anything an esc setting can fix. Gotta be hardware I think.

Kev
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:

It doesnt make a single motor lower or fall..... it simply jitters vertically... i will start to check the escs once i order some.....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:52 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnc06 View Post
It doesnt make a single motor lower or fall..... it simply jitters vertically... i will start to check the escs once i order some.....
Disable height dampening and see if it goes away, if it does you have too much acc noise from shaking/vibration. Also turn down your I gain to 0 and see if that reduces it.

A failing ESC would usually favor a side.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Disable height dampening and see if it goes away, if it does you have too much acc noise from shaking/vibration. Also turn down your I gain to 0 and see if that reduces it.

A failing ESC would usually favor a side.
height dampening is off......if it was acc noise.... wouldnt power cycling fix this?....it takes 5-10 minutes of powered off to fix the issue...

thanks for all of the help!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
861 Posts
3 Packs so far

I have flown three packs through my mini quad right in my small living room today so far. I wound up with the following P&I. 4 min flights with 500 Mah 3 cell.

P gain 140
P limit 100
I gain 70
I limit 50

I still will probably raise the I gain until I get the slow oscillation that I haven't seen yet. The P gain started fast oscillation at about 165 so I just bumped it down to 140. This is the most success I have had with the KK2 board. I have ordered another USBasp adapter but for now I'm flying v1.2

This was going to be my little foam saucer but so far it won't fly with the foam. Aerodynamic on just excess weight? I am not sure yet.

Sudsy
Sudsy is online now Find More Posts by Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Issue one... ditch the DJI props LOL! I've been really, really liking how mine performs with GWS HD props actually. They're way more durable too, and you'll never lose one in flight like sometimes happens with SF props. Coming from a heavy background in props & motors... quad guys tend to overspeed the SF style props, LOL! Those SF props ain't meant for real power output like an HD or "e" prop is.
:
My props don't get much abuse and they seem as nice as the hyperdrives I've used on planks in the past. The DJIs almost look like a bit of cross between SF & HD.

I'm flying fast but don't bang the sticks much, just the occasional full throttle blip on 4S which, in-flight measurements show, loads each prop up with 250 Watts. A little loctite on the prop nuts goes a long way towards keeping the props on and there have been no signs of over-stress on the props to date.

If I was going to change props I'd probably go with something like the Graupners, but I'm not very interested in putting $60 worth of props on this thing, since it flies fine as it is.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post

I've got the same issue with my LCD too... the first one was better but it didn't like crashing much! I'll follow your lead and stick mine down tonight.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumina View Post
well my soldering....I havent solder in the past 5 years or so.....
I think I know what went wrong: the wire I used was to thick for the hole in the board so I cut a few strands so it passes through the hole. I passed the wire from top to bottom and soldered in the bottom of the board. now one of the remains of the cutted strands was touching the little thing, I have no idea what its called, that is just aft of the hole in the top of the board, I pulled it right away. could that be the problem? is there any life after this or I have to get a new FC?
I can't seem to be able to find my multimeter to test what you mention.
Ok next time solder the wire from the *bottom* and cut the top flush so no strands are loose.

Now, looking at the circuit, if the wire had touched Q2, there should be no ill effect as one side is grounded, the other has a 3k3 resistor on it and the collector is too far away...
If it was R11 or C38 that was touched, you probably killed U8 which has a max input voltage of 6V. U8 provides the reference voltage I mentioned before.
Touching R17 and R16 is fine but if you'd managed to touch the junction of R12 and 13, U8 would be toast.

So, basically unless you can repair U8 and possibly more, you might need a new KK2.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays