HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Like I said earlier, these are connectors from my Naza and they come with a tab on one side. This tab hits the LCD, can't hook them up with the signal wire pointed towards the LCD. So I reversed the wires with the tabs on both sides, on the FC and my receiver. Everything works like it should. It just looks a little odd.
You can't just cut the tab off with a sharp knife?

I am just guessing as I don't know what they look like.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
You can't just cut the tab off with a sharp knife?

I am just guessing as I don't know what they look like.
Those are Futaba "J" connectors and you can just cut the tab off.
Remember that the black goes toward the edge of the PCB on the KK2.
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
cut the tab off... everyone else does!!
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I have seen this where the ground wire on the esc burns up. Ground loops have been explained as the cause, where the esc earth is trying to carry large amounts of current to make an earth connection.
I don't understand the concept, but maybe it's a lead on the cause??
Yeah, the more I think about it the LEDs could not be the cause. The most likely candidate is a positive lead somehow rubbed against the alu frame causing it to feedback through the motors to the ESCs.

I was able to swap out the one ESC but in flight it was still trouble, ESC for M1 worked but had been giving me stutters after the incident, I think somehow its half dead; enough to get it spinning most of the time, but whenever I went to give it any throttle it went limp on that motor like it wasn't getting enough juice.

If anyone has insight I would love to hear it, but in the meantime I have already ordered 2 ESCs and 1 motor for parts. ( and a servo, hey, you never know maybe it becomes a tri! )
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Last edited by brontide; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it the LEDs could not be the cause. The most likely candidate is a positive lead somehow rubbed against the alu frame causing it to feedback through the motors to the ESCs....
If you reverse the polarity of the ESC power leads it will burn the ground wire.
I've done this and cut the heat shrink back to expose the wires enough to replace it. I was lucky and it didn't fry the ESC. You might cut the heat shrink off the whole ESC and inspect it for anything that might be burnt.
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
If you reverse the polarity of the ESC power leads it will burn the ground wire.
I've done this and cut the heat shrink back to expose the wires enough to replace it. I was lucky and it didn't fry the ESC. You might cut the heat shrink off the whole ESC and inspect it for anything that might be burnt.
The one ESC was fried, the second one appears functional, but starts to misbehave when I apply throttle. Of course it's also a new motor, so I can't be 100% sure of anything here. ( not been a good weekend for me )

The one that is misbehaving had no obviously fried parts, I inspected it several times.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wingbreaker
Italy, Lazio, Albano Laziale
Joined Oct 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmetrico View Post
Hello,
yesterday I flashed the 1.4 Tested holding my tricopter over my head, verithing perfect.

Today I went outside and as soon as I connected the battery the alarm started sounding with "no yaw input" message.

Tested the board I found that the YAW input is shorted with the positive (my multimeter reads a 12 ohm resistance between the YAW input and the positive.

I checked all the board looking for something wrong but nothing is wrong. I routed a needle around the solder, just in case but nothing.

What could happen between yesterday evening and today? Any suggestion to gain back the control board?

Thanks

Al
Another bit of information, when first happened the problem the LCD was blank. Then I reset the board (power off) and the LCD started working again but not the Yaw.
I tried also to follow the pcb but the Yaw input ends under the Atmel. Do you know to what pin it is connected?

Thanks for your help

Al
asimmetrico is offline Find More Posts by asimmetrico
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmetrico View Post
Another bit of information, when first happened the problem the LCD was blank. Then I reset the board (power off) and the LCD started working again but not the Yaw.
I tried also to follow the pcb but the Yaw input ends under the Atmel. Do you know to what pin it is connected?
Thanks for your help
Al
The Yaw (RUD) input goes to pin 42 (PB2) of the chip.
That's the third-last pin going counter-clockwise from pin 1.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
it was just a bumpy landing...
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
2,735 Posts
Not sure if my kk2 is the issue but I had a 250 size bambucopter that used 1510 motors and 12amp esc's. it was meant to run on 3s but found it ran pretty well on 2s when moving to 3s it would eventually go into a wobble and come down to the ground. Never did this on 2s only 3s.

Now I have a new x250 quad with new motors and esc's. also runs perfectly fine on 2s but when I try 3s it goes up smoothly for a few seconds then all the sudden completely freaks out and just convulses crazy and comes crashing down.

Any thoughts?
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
I had this 'yaw fault' on my first test flight.
I thought 'oh cr p, I got a bad board..'
but I cycled the power, and it came up good.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 AM
Nederland, Zuid-Holland, Westland
Joined Mar 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
Since everyone else is showing off flight video's, here is one from today.

Testing some new camera equipment, and my FPV gear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qGCTl0pTmk
OT, but I want to ask anyway : How do you guys do picture in picture and with what software?
areon is offline Find More Posts by areon
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by areon View Post
OT, but I want to ask anyway : How do you guys do picture in picture and with what software?
I use Sony Vegas for all my video productions. Its what I use to put picture in picture.
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Last edited by subaru4wd; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it the LEDs could not be the cause.
How did you connect the LEDs?

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Not sure if my kk2 is the issue but I had a 250 size bambucopter that used 1510 motors and 12amp esc's. it was meant to run on 3s but found it ran pretty well on 2s when moving to 3s it would eventually go into a wobble and come down to the ground. Never did this on 2s only 3s.

Now I have a new x250 quad with new motors and esc's. also runs perfectly fine on 2s but when I try 3s it goes up smoothly for a few seconds then all the sudden completely freaks out and just convulses crazy and comes crashing down.

Any thoughts?
Try reducing your gains a little.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post

Any thoughts?
possible vibration with the motors running at a higher rpm that doesn't show up at a lower speed with a 2S pack.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207