HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
stop ,please stop,.............now i want 1.4 firmware and dont have a programmer .
i posted a wanted add for one in the multirotor classifieds.

hook a brother up!!
thanks
i did a quick search on Ebay and found 5 in the USA...most have free shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-USBASP-...item3cc8817bd8

here's one for $7.00 free shipping located in CA...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KK-5-5-KKmul...item4ab15f61a1
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Last edited by magic_marty; Nov 06, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added link.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Have a problem with quad, was OK I think until upgrade to V4. I never really used the self levelling feature before but now I power up quad, levelish, arm and take off and works a treat, switch on self level and works fairly well, turn off and do a flip or two and turn the self level back on and it rolls violently to the right until I switch off levelling. POwer cycle quad and everything is fine until I do a flip. Anyone had this happen to them?
barfy is offline Find More Posts by barfy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:16 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Flash your escs and you can remove the receiver from its box, heat shrink it and make it smaller/lighter
ESC's flashed with simonk from the get go

9X reciever goes out soon

eLeReS LRS goes in ! (you can see it on the photo)
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:34 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfy View Post
Have a problem with quad, was OK I think until upgrade to V4. I never really used the self levelling feature before but now I power up quad, levelish, arm and take off and works a treat, switch on self level and works fairly well, turn off and do a flip or two and turn the self level back on and it rolls violently to the right until I switch off levelling. POwer cycle quad and everything is fine until I do a flip. Anyone had this happen to them?
I wanted to ask about the same question.. Yesterday was late and i didn't fly after update but made some tests on the bench... so...

1. Is it needed EVERY time that it ARMS to be leveled? I think yes because if not SL registers wrong angles and thinks level but its not... right? or not?

2. Keeping in my hand and have throttle about hover, moving pitch roll (not more than 45 degrees), and after switching on-off to SL every second time it wanted to drift to some direction (not the same...)..

3. I am afraid to fly and test these things on air!!!! I am a newbie and still learning orientation!!! If i brake it once i'll have to wait OVER a month for parts coming from HK!!!!

Any feedback on this?

P.S. I am waiting for a 4S to test flight time.. but now Led strips connection seems to be a problem.. so i thought it might be better to connect leds onto the BECs of the remaining ESCs (2,3,4) and change the SMD resistors of the strips to have max brightness, would that be ok?
GSD is offline Find More Posts by GSD
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:49 AM
ntc
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
+1 for gimbal!

I have been having a blast with v1.2... here's a video from a day out with SL on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyb4z3kVlsI&feature=plcp

It works good enough so far, but I just flashed v1.4 to see what all the fuss is about.

Kev
+2 for gimbal
ntc is offline Find More Posts by ntc
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:51 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,927 Posts
a lot of people use the small brushed esc's to hook there LED lights to and say it works great..if you have spare channels you can even set it up to change brightness via a switch or rotary knob on your tx...
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:18 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
a lot of people use the small brushed esc's to hook there LED lights to and say it works great..if you have spare channels you can even set it up to change brightness via a switch or rotary knob on your tx...
Even if i use ESC (brushed) , IF my main power source is 4S i will fry these strips that are for 12V...
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:45 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
865 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
1. Is it needed EVERY time that it ARMS to be leveled? I think yes because if not SL registers wrong angles and thinks level but its not... right? or not?
Something like that.

I think it was mentioned that after exceeding the gyro's limit you have to re-arm to reset them.

Had a similar issue today. After flying around in a bit in SL mode, go into rate mode without any flips just high angles, then back into SL mode and the quad started going backwards at around 20deg, so I went back to rate mode to land, re-armed and it was fine in SL again.

SL works great now, just don't mix SL and rate without a re-arm. It's not a bail out, though it may help in some cases, just don't depend on it. So if your not confident enough in your maneuvers, don't expect the SL to save you.
What I'll be doing is using SL for video or for teaching beginners to hover, it's not an auto pilot, so don't treat it as such and you'll be fine.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:53 AM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
kk mentioned at the post for 1.3 that this calibration is done every time of arming and need to be still but NOT necessary level (up to +/- 10 deg.) ... is it really like this?

Also, if calibrated and takeoff, without using NO SL at all but flying sometime with wide angles... is it possible again for SL to fail if needed? (as safety fuse...)...
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:04 AM
France, RA, Roche-la-Molière
Joined Sep 2012
46 Posts
Hello
If i understand , i fly in SL , if i want to do flip , i switch off SL , and after i can't switch again in SL without re arming on ground ?
vivazapata is offline Find More Posts by vivazapata
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:08 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,252 Posts
fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead0207 View Post
here's a pix of my 3 of the 4 multi's that I'm currently flying, the hex in this pix has a different controller on it but it's other wise the same bird. The quad now has a Hobbywing Quattro esc unit instead of the ZTW esc's and the hex has T-Rex 500 skids on it like the tri, and the KK2 board. Sorry this is the latest pix I have of it.

it's in .png format I'll have to convert it to .jpg and upload it

ignore some of the comments the hex is as it's currently flying with KK2
Very nice fleet my friend....thanks for posting ...they are very cool looking multi-rotors.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x tesla one
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:15 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
I put my Hex on the scale last night and it's 3.750 lbs with the 3s3000 mah lipo.What motors you have ? The DT700 motors are somekind of heavy...thinking of installing a lighter arms on mine when I have time...maybe like wood and make it longer.I am going to do a parallel of 2 3s3000 or 2650 mah and see if I can get a better flight time....so far it flys really good and powerful.How much the weight on yours with the 3s3000 mah lipo ?
What does your hex weigh without lipo and how big is it?
I am using round electrical upvc conduit ( with the added benift of inserting the motor wires out of sight) for a 22" quad weight at 1 lb 8 oz I could drop the weight a little more if I took off the relatively heavy CCTV dome

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Last edited by Upup; Nov 07, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Something like that.

I think it was mentioned that after exceeding the gyro's limit you have to re-arm to reset them.

Had a similar issue today. After flying around in a bit in SL mode, go into rate mode without any flips just high angles, then back into SL mode and the quad started going backwards at around 20deg, so I went back to rate mode to land, re-armed and it was fine in SL again.

SL works great now, just don't mix SL and rate without a re-arm. It's not a bail out, though it may help in some cases, just don't depend on it. So if your not confident enough in your maneuvers, don't expect the SL to save you.
What I'll be doing is using SL for video or for teaching beginners to hover, it's not an auto pilot, so don't treat it as such and you'll be fine.
Thanks for that, I've not been active for a while and things have moved on a bit and I've not kept up.
barfy is offline Find More Posts by barfy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:51 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
thats a good idea,my LEDs are too bright at night yet ok in the day for orientation purposes..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:30 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Acc calibration, aka sensor calibration, only needs to be done once. This sets up the models view of where down is.

Gyro calibration is done at every arming and sets up the "no rotation" point.

The acc is accurate, but slow and prone to vibration noise, but the readings are absolute. The gyro provides accurate information that is prone to drift ( if you do a 360 it may be off by +-10. The other problem with the gyro is that the zero point can chance during flight, this will lead to a constant bias in readings ( the unit now always thinks its rolling to the left and will correct to the right ).

Most quad leveling systems use gyros for real time rotational information, they are the only ones that can do it quick enough. The trick that 1.4 uses is to continually recenter where down is via the acc information when the quad is within 20 degrees of level, but it takes a second.

So if self level caused a dart to the right one of two things is happening. You didn't give the craft enough time to find its bearings after doing sport flying ( unlikely ) or your gyro zero point had shifted during flight causing gyro bias. Either way the results are better and more stable under 1.4 then they would have been under 1.2.

Shifting of the gyro set point during flight is a known limitation of the hardware. For now if you sense that the unit is biasing then land and rearm. I am personally trying to find a LP filter than can deal with the small numbers in the error ( difference between acc and gyro ) and feed them back into the zero point so that in flight gyro drift bias can be correct as well, but so far the testing has shown I have a lot to learn about the algorithms.

TL;DR. only the gyro is calibrated at arming, the acc is calibrated once. Gyro drift can be corrected by 1.4, but not gyro bias.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Last edited by brontide; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Drift vs bias and a few other clarifications.