HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
How rude. I actually suggested to move on because my quad is fine but you insisted on posting more about it. I was just being polite and acknowledging your response. Geez.... Take a chill pill, Sir. If you don't want to waste your time, just don't post.

Chris
You have repeatedly claimed that the authors of the KK2 manual has made a mistake, and said the KK2 is not noob friendly etc. I find that very rude and I am defending Rolf's great work.

You post an 11:22min video which does not prove your claim.

A simple 30sec video doing a small fight, landing, disconnecting the wire from the M1 socket on the board, and showing us which motor stops would have been more useful in fault diagnosis.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2010
141 Posts
First my setup:

DJI550 frame
Rctimer 18a ESC's with SimonK firmware
RC tiger motors 2814 770 kv
Futaba RX/TX.

I took maiden today and one of the motors is starting slower than the rest. Have calibrated ESC one by one and by holding button 1 & 4 several times. Still this motor start slower than the rest. In hover it flys pretty good but i have a problem with throttle. When I throttle up it really speeds up uncontrollable. When trying to land again it is very hard to keep a constant throttle. It jumps and dances by itself.

Any tips regarding this? Faulthy card? Faulthy ESC? Wrong setup? Have tried with two different Futaba RX
Trulsen is offline Find More Posts by Trulsen
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeri View Post
Omg.. I almost lost my quad after i mounted kk2 to my Talon frame and testflew it. I hadn't any problems with kk1 thought.

In sensor test if I tilt board very hard to any direction, is it normal that kk2 tells that gyro's status isn't ok? Tried to flew my quad and it was almost uncontrollable. It tries to correct itself really aggresively. I think some of that is beacuse of gains, but how's that sensor test result. I have calibrated sensors and done all that basic stuff.
On mine the status is OK for all gyros so you may have a faulty board. Try calling HK support.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulsen View Post
First my setup:

DJI550 frame
Futaba RX/TX.

I took maiden today and one of the motors is starting slower than the rest. Have calibrated ESC one by one and by holding button 1 & 4 several times. Still this motor start slower than the rest. In hover it flys pretty good but i have a problem with throttle. When I throttle up it really speeds up uncontrollable. When trying to land again it is very hard to keep a constant throttle. It jumps and dances by itself.

Any tips regarding this? Faulthy card? Faulthy ESC? Wrong setup? Have tried with two different Futaba RX
Sounds like an issue with the esc's. Some ideas :-)

Check the PID settings as they are different for simon-ized esc's.
Check your motor wiring and bullet connectors to the ESC's.
Post a message on the SimonK thread to see if there is a way to confirm the settings, i.e. brake, etc. on the esc. I am not sure on how to program the esc's once they have been simon-ized.

I have four simon-ized HK 30A in route from TC in Japan.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
On behalf of bobepine...

I agree that "not noob friendly" sounds kinda harsh, but how many folks are running their kk2's in x mode and found the layout to be correct (or incorrect)? Without that info we can't say he's wrong, and even then it may be a defect (and it's better we're aware of that). There's no reason to suspect bobepine is fabricating all this to sabotage the success Rolf's wonderful board... probably the exact opposite motivation actually, LOL!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
On mine the status is OK for all gyros so you may have a faulty board. Try calling HK support.
If I violently move the board around in sensor test I can get nearly all of them to say "not okay" for very brief periods of time. It seems to me that this is normal since my quad flies great. If it's stuck at "not okay" without movement then yeah, I'd say it's broken.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
nevermind..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Last edited by dutchcommando; Jul 11, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: wrong topic..
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
It's incorrect for me, and if I have to make a video to prove it to you, you'll be certain to owe me a beer, Sir.

Best,
Chris
For the sake of all of us that have been following this thread and waiting for a resolution to this problem... PLEASE post a quick photo of the Quad X screen layout as shown by your KK2 board. It should only take a moment and sort out the issue once and for all.
A photo just like Erknie's would be perfect.
A slightly larger picture showing connections would be an additional bonus.
No need for a flying video, I believe that you have it flying perfectly.
The only remaining point is whether some KK2's incorrectly show the Quad-X layout and as far as we know, yours is the only one in captivity that appears to have this issue.
Thank you.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
On behalf of bobepine...

I agree that "not noob friendly" sounds kinda harsh, but how many folks are running their kk2's in x mode and found the layout to be correct (or incorrect)? Without that info we can't say he's wrong, and even then it may be a defect (and it's better we're aware of that). There's no reason to suspect bobepine is fabricating all this to sabotage the success Rolf's wonderful board... probably the exact opposite motivation actually, LOL!

Kev
I have two KK2 boards, and the X-mode motor numbering on the LCD matched the motor pin numbering as shown one the board photo in the KK2 manual perfectly. To create the problem as described would require either a different/corrupt firmware version, or 4 of the pins inside the ATmega chip to be wired incorrectly. I am sure this thread would have been full of posts about a problem like that from the time the first batch arrived in people hands, so far there has been exactly one report and it's been weeks.

I would try +mode to see what the motors do then.
Last edited by Erknie; Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeri View Post
In sensor test if I tilt board very hard to any direction, is it normal that kk2 tells that gyro's status isn't ok? Tried to flew my quad and it was almost uncontrollable. It tries to correct itself really aggresively. I think some of that is beacuse of gains, but how's that sensor test result. I have calibrated sensors and done all that basic stuff.
The sensor status page will only give useful status if the board is kept still and level !

If you are getting 'Not Okay' and it is level & still, then you need to check the actual numbers.

The QC on the Invensense gyros hasn't been great - see OP tale of woe!

So long as Gyros are within range 450->700 it should *probably* be okay.
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
HappyS, he already stated that the LCD screen is as it should be.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
First my setup:

DJI550 frame
Futaba RX/TX.

Try lowering the P-gain.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
the autolevel is only for aerial shot anyway but like you say the normal is quite good i will post video soon
Quote:
First my setup:

DJI550 frame
Futaba RX/TX.

1 thing worth checking is that the motor that is not speeding up as fast, in the mixer settings make sure its set to esc not servo by mistake.
I did this on my tri and the #1 motor sped up slower than the rest.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
So far I'm loving this thing in a turnigy micro quad where it replaced a HK KK board running 4.5 aero. I had no issues with initial setup, apart from having to move my BEC power and ground pins to a different ESC connector (the older KK board has a common vcc rail).

As others have already mentioned, the turnigy micros seem to require pretty low P-gain. I think I'm at 35 now and it still shimmies a bit, but not uncontrollably. P and I tuning was pretty straight-forward; I didn't get any I-gain oscillations until I was around 200 I think.

I tried the height damping and found my quad to behave as if it was climbing stairs, so I turned that off I also tried I-gain in self-leveling mode; it's a good thing I was over tall grass I read KK's comment on that after I tried it, but no harm done.

I dialed up the stick scaling on roll, pitch, and yaw and turned down my TX's expo a bit - it's much more responsive now and I finally get a decent yaw rate.

Self-leveling seems to behave as designed - it generally keeps the quad level within a 20' radius or so. As another poster mentioned, I can see this being really handy if one loses orientation way up in the sky, just flip it on and you're saved!

I haven't tried flips with it yet; I was able to pull some off with the older KK board and a lot of altitude. Maybe if I'm feeling gutsy I'll jack up the stick scaling and try some over my tall weed patch later this week.

I have zero quad experience apart from my turnigy micro with the older kk board and now the kk2.0, but I can say that this board is a huge stability and functionality jump over the old board. Attitude hold is spot on and I'm finding it much more predictable and fun to fly now.

Thanks again, kapteinkuk!
I am going to try reflashing the Turningy Plush 6A with faster firmware, that should get the P setting back up. There is a thread somewhere in this forum I saw the other day about flashing the Scilabs version of the Plush 6A. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686498
Last edited by Erknie; Jul 11, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,458 Posts
ok i just test the board today and this board worth the price ! set my p to gain to 60
and I gain to zero and lowered the scaling trottle and fly great now ! the only problem is the autolevel function is useless because the response is too slow and if try to raise the P it will stabilize faster but out of control any idea ?

still a great board thanks kapteinkuk!
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou