HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
I saw some new things in 1.3, but I had just flashed to 1.2 and didn't spend much time exploring that, so maybe they were introduced even earlier.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I saw some new things in 1.3, but I had just flashed to 1.2 and didn't spend much time exploring that, so maybe they were introduced even earlier.
I believe 1.3 included some extra menu items that were in the SA2 branch ( not in 1.2 stock, but in the alternates ) like receiver test having an arming check.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:41 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
818 Posts
Still Struggling

OK, How can you tell which version of the firmware is loaded. All my indications are that nothing has changed. I found all the files, got the flashtool working but still get a "error during writing flash" warning on the bottom line. I am using the usbasp adapter I got from HK.

Right now all my KK2 equipped quads are down. I am going to put them away before I get real frustrated and destroy them. I will fly my old KK V2 + quad that I can fly very well.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Should show the version when powering on.

I had a heck of a time getting W7 setup for flashing. I'm so spoiled that my Mac's it's just plug and play. Can you post a picture of the usbasp connected to the KK?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
I know that there is ppl using this KK board to fly V-Tails. But there is nothing on the first thread. Can someone direct me to the thread #(s) I am going to be trying a KK LCD board on my 500mm V-Tail in the next few days. Thanks in advance!
Creepin22 is offline Find More Posts by Creepin22
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Should show the version when powering on.

I had a heck of a time getting W7 setup for flashing. I'm so spoiled that my Mac's it's just plug and play. Can you post a picture of the usbasp connected to the KK?
One with power one without. On this particular board I don't get a display with the usbasp connected and powered but the backlight comes on. The firmware says it's still 1.2 and it powers up and works so I'm going to leave it alone. The other is out in the shop. It has a complete display and backlight when powered thru the usbasp.
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepin22 View Post
I know that there is ppl using this KK board to fly V-Tails. But there is nothing on the first thread. Can someone direct me to the thread #(s) I am going to be trying a KK LCD board on my 500mm V-Tail in the next few days. Thanks in advance!
Look at some of my posts in this thread....also check out dialfonzo's thread on the hunter vtail..i used the kk2 on a 500 with success and went over some of the basic parameters..
danielnc06 is offline Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
This gyro drift is still kicking my butt. I have a shockingly simple idea that might "fix" the problem.

Any idea if HK might be using lower quality parts for more recent boards, it just seems like some are having trouble while others are unaffected.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
One with power one without. On this particular board I don't get a display with the usbasp connected and powered but the backlight comes on. The firmware says it's still 1.2 and it powers up and works so I'm going to leave it alone. The other is out in the shop. It has a complete display and backlight when powered thru the usbasp.
Does your USBasp have a jumper on it ( can you post a picture of the unit when plugged in? ). The USBasp should power the board and it does need power for programming, if it's not getting it from the USB you should be feeding it 5v from the M1 port.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:28 PM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
747 Posts
who follows Mr. KK on youtube guys?
Who doesn't - should!

KK2 Self-level toss test (1 min 31 sec)
schumixmd is offline Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
OK, How can you tell which version of the firmware is loaded. All my indications are that nothing has changed. I found all the files, got the flashtool working but still get a "error during writing flash" warning on the bottom line. I am using the usbasp adapter I got from HK.

Right now all my KK2 equipped quads are down. I am going to put them away before I get real frustrated and destroy them. I will fly my old KK V2 + quad that I can fly very well.

Sudsy
You probably thought of this but is your usbasp connected to a rear usb port
I have not had the pleasure of flashing or flying a kk2 quad ( still waiting for HK to delivered another board) but my Multiwii would not work from a front usb.

Worth a try?

If my new kk2 dont work we can ceremoniously burn them together via skype

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Does your USBasp have a jumper on it ( can you post a picture of the unit when plugged in? ). The USBasp should power the board and it does need power for programming, if it's not getting it from the USB you should be feeding it 5v from the M1 port.
OK. I just tried powering up with the normal flight pack using the esc on M1 for power. I did not disconnect any thing else. No change I still cannot load firmware. Same failure. Should I disconnect the M1 input and power it from a flight pack (NiCad). I still indicate I have V1.2 firmware. If I connect my number 3 board it has a full display. This tells me the usbasp has the jumper. I now have had three of these boards from HK. I had to return number 1 it just wouldn't function at all. Number 2 is on my Talon V-2 and I have successfully flown it several times until I tried to flash it with V 1.3 and now it seems way to sensitive and over responsive. I have reduced my dual rate low position to 50% from 75% that I used previously. I use a Spektrum DX7 transmitter. The throttle seems way more sensitive than before.

With what I have in shipping cost (to get three here and return one) I should have just bought one of the expandable boards

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-fl...ltrasonic.html

From Goodluckbuy.

Sudsy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:45 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Here is version 1.4

Changes:

1: SW LP-filter on the accelerometers.

2: Widened the correction limits to +-20 degrees.

3: Use accelerometer generated Euler angles instead of 3D vector generated angles for the correction check as suggested by Scolton. I think this one really did the trick.

4: Widened the vertical acceleration check to 0.5 - 1.5g.

5: It does not show the Euler angles on the safe screen until gyros has been calibrated to avoid confusion.

Updating from V1.3 to V1.4 does not change your settings.

Now it performs much better, it did not lose its UP direction at all, except for the special case of the toss test where the rotation rate exceeded the maximum that the gyros can handle. This will not happen during flight.

KK2 Self-level toss test (1 min 31 sec)

The two last clips is recovery from inverted free fall by just adding throttle from idle.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Last edited by kapteinkuk; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Break out the multimeter and see if any of the pins are not soldered well ( would not be shocked something soldered wrong from HK! )
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Here is version 1.4

Now it performs much better, it did not lose its UP direction at all, except for the special case of the toss test where the rotation rate exceeded the maximum that the gyros can handle. This will not happen during flight.

The to last clips is recovery from free fall by just adding throttle from idle.
Looking good from a code perspective. I have one more issue that I will chase down tonight. I have a feeling this will solve most of my troubles and is a much stronger release for SL. I have a few other ideas, but I will save them until I've broken my own stuff.