HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Ok, even with 1.2BSA2modS2 it still exhibits profound problems. I would describe the flying characteristics as "death wobble" ( tipping in a circular pattern, don't remember if it was CW or CCW ). I have a spare, unused KK2 and I will try swapping it out tonight to continue testing, maybe it's just my board.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Freaky. Figured, why go through all the trouble to test, I can just flash the spare KK and then chill.

Open KK box, flash with 1.3, do acc calibration. This has never been used and has been at room temperature for a while.

New KK test (0 min 35 sec)

The sensor test screen shows high speed oscillation in gyro numbers +-1, otherwise it appears fine. This was otherwise *stock*.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
548 Posts
hi guys i have a kk2 with 1,2v on it all the directions are right when i use the radio but the board try to compensate on the same side that the quad is tipping over so it doesn't correct it tips over faster haw can i correct that?
Patrizio_g is offline Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
548 Posts
oh shut do i have the board backwards?

i was watching a video i think i do have it backwards that's no good is it? please can someone confirm if it is backward.
i didn't see any direction on the board i just installed it that way don't know why any ways that would make sense.

Thanks

Pat.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g View Post
oh shut do i have the board backwards?

i was watching a video i think i do have it backwards that's no good is it? please can someone confirm if it is backward.
i didn't see any direction on the board i just installed it that way don't know why any ways that would make sense.

Thanks

Pat.
You have the KK2 board mounted backwards.

Referring to the picture, the buttons are on the left of the KK2 board and on the same side as the yellow ball so the quad forward direction would be to the right.

If you look at the KK2 board from above, the buttons are at the bottom when the quadcopter is flying forward. Motors are labeled starting at the top left with #1 and go clockwise, #2, #3 and #4.

You could just move the yellow ball to the other side (right) and you'll be fine.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:18 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Freaky. Figured, why go through all the trouble to test, I can just flash the spare KK and then chill.

Open KK box, flash with 1.3, do acc calibration. This has never been used and has been at room temperature for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll4eyzSPH78

The sensor test screen shows high speed oscillation in gyro numbers +-1, otherwise it appears fine. This was otherwise *stock*.
so the board is fine? and your other board is broken? not sure i understand...sorry
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
so the board is fine? and your other board is broken? not sure i understand...sorry
Both my current and the unused spare exhibit the same problem, but the unused one exhibits that problem without a temperature change. Yes, I can now reproduce the same freaky behavior on both boards without a temperature change.

More Info. Spare I can get it to behave and to fail, the only difference is was *any* movement on the board when power was applied. Even the slightest bump and the numbers are all over the map, if I am very still it will often behave.
Last edited by brontide; Nov 03, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
so it is most likely the 1.3 firmware causing the issue...just wonder if the 1.2 has the same issue..
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:28 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,436 Posts
re-flash it with the stable 1.2 and see. Finally tomrrow there is a break on this crap weather. rain and fog the last 2 weeks...;0(
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
re-flash it with the stable 1.2 and see. Finally tomrrow there is a break on this crap weather. rain and fog the last 2 weeks...;0(
Problem is I have no easy way to test on 1.2 stable. It does not appear temperature or specific to the hardware since I can get two boards to fail. It appears to be something in the initialization of the gyro's.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
You have the KK2 board mounted backwards.

Referring to the picture, the buttons are on the left of the KK2 board and on the same side as the yellow ball so the quad forward direction would be to the right.

If you look at the KK2 board from above, the buttons are at the bottom when the quadcopter is flying forward. Motors are labeled starting at the top left with #1 and go clockwise, #2, #3 and #4.

You could just move the yellow ball to the other side (right) and you'll be fine.
LOL i was braking my head about it and then i thought of it that it may be backwards because the way it behaves and because i never did find the direction on the board i just assumed that was the correct position lol ok ill just move the board around it is just 4 screws, i got the motors numbered so i want to keep it in order

what a mistake lol thanks a lot rcjose

Pat.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,436 Posts
It is a known issue with temp changes on KK boards. On my Old KK V2 after the first time out in the cold i had issues. All i had to do was re calibrate the esc's... i know weird...but my issue was; it worked, i put it in the car and drove to indoor flying(last winter). Powered up the Quad and got the high thr warning(rapid beeping). It was perfect while it was home, as thr calibration was done from the get go and had flown 3-4 time inside. So jsut by taking it out in the cold/in a diff temp room caused that issue...
kinda weird. from then on it never acting like that at all and i flew all winter outside/inside!

So i belive in the diff temps causing issues!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post

So i belive in the diff temps causing issues!!
Last video was from a board that has not been exposed to the cold.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Last video was from a board that has not been exposed to the cold.
ohh ic sorry my bad...hmmmm not sure whats going on there then...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:25 PM
ntc
Joined Sep 2011
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g View Post
LOL i was braking my head about it and then i thought of it that it may be backwards because the way it behaves and because i never did find the direction on the board i just assumed that was the correct position lol ok ill just move the board around it is just 4 screws, i got the motors numbered so i want to keep it in order

what a mistake lol thanks a lot rcjose

Pat.
cant you just reverse which side you call the front now, ie move the yellow ball to the other side?. the motors should still be correct, unless you revered those as well.
ntc is offline Find More Posts by ntc