HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,883 Posts
my x400 just outfitted with kk2.0 .my free flight board was giving me cold weather fits .so trying this on for size now . i done the soldering and added the alarm as well .
can anyone confirm that notion if left powered but without input for 30 minutes the lipo alarm will act as a lost plane alarm??

guess it would only take 30 minutes to confirm.anyway heres a couple pics for ya.
the buzzer is tucked in at boards edge in the front facing view .you can barely see it .it may get moved at some point and time .

helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,883 Posts
ok , maiden flight .
going from 70 degree house to 51 and cool outside .much more manageable than my FF board was .there was some right yaw going on ,had to keep correcting with left rudder(this normal for the kk?)
did not notice this condition in the house .so maybe this board needs a little warm up too .but i would rather deal with a little yaw drifting than have the quad soaring back towards me as it done with FF board in the cold .

if the yaw continues to yaw right after it warms up outside how do you correct it?

my settings are this so far

Default PI editor settings
Roll/Pitch Axis:
Pgain = 75
Plimit = 100
Igain = 30
Ilimit = 20
Yaw Axis:
Pgain = 75
Plimit = 20
Igain = 50
Ilimit = 10

are these good settings for a 400 size quad?
i set the lipo alarm at 10.2 and i got 9 minutes out of a 2200mah 3s .that a good place to set the alarm?
what about stick scaling?should they all be the same?can anyone offer some good settings for that?

PS-I HAVE V 1.2 FIRMWARE

thanks
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
Well there is this ( also suits my style of flying MRs )

http://vimeo.com/51951048

jeff
That's not a real crash test. Let's see it drop down onto concrete from about 200 feet up in the air.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Mar 2009
340 Posts
flash tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Did you launch it from the serial bat file?
Don't know what that means Fernman. No bats in my computer only my head

Please explain. Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micarus View Post
Don't know what that means Fernman. No bats in my computer only my head

Please explain. Cheers MIKE.
There are two "Windows Command Script" (at least that's what W7 shows in the Type field. (In days of yore they had the file extension .bat (for batch files)).

Anyway, there are two "kkMulticopterFlashTool" and "kkMulticopterFlashTool_SERIAL". For the life of me I can't remember which one I used when I flashed my KK boards. Both launch the tool when I just tried, but I didn't try a flash. I have seen comments where the SERIAL version worked for people. There's lots of good info on the tool website.

I did have to make sure I had the 64 bit version of Java installed to get it to work originally.

HTH.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
There are two "Windows Command Script" (at least that's what W7 shows in the Type field. (In days of yore they had the file extension .bat (for batch files)).

Anyway, there are two "kkMulticopterFlashTool" and "kkMulticopterFlashTool_SERIAL". For the life of me I can't remember which one I used when I flashed my KK boards. Both launch the tool when I just tried, but I didn't try a flash. I have seen comments where the SERIAL version worked for people. There's lots of good info on the tool website.

I did have to make sure I had the 64 bit version of Java installed to get it to work originally.

HTH.

cheers,
Andrew
Also good to have both 32 and 64 bit java installed if you're running a windows 64

and yea use kkMulticopterFlashTool_SERIAL.cmd

thanks Andrew for the assist
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Last edited by TheFernMan; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Today I took my tri out to test in my yard. I found that if I increase power slowly until it's light on it's feet, then it will lift off level and almost kind of hovers, but am fighting with the cyclic to keep it level. I can hear the motors buzzing up and down like a bumblebee.

I tried a few hops like this, was a bit too soft around the centres, so took my expo back down from 80% to 60%.

Didn't seem much less softer, but had to quit as my tail motor upon throttling up, was trying to tip it forwards.It was flat calm, no wind at all out there, so I can't blame the weather!

Duh! Any ideas what might be the cause please?
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,252 Posts
test !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
Well there is this ( also suits my style of flying MRs )

http://vimeo.com/51951048

jeff
Wow ! That thing is super strong but ,don't get me wrong...I wanna fly my quad without crashing and this thing will make me a bad pilot...that's just me ...
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x tesla one
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Matt, glad you got it hovering sort of, had four good flights with mine this afternoon.

Is the tail motor actually revving faster to tilt it forward ?, have you tried moving your battery back under the middle as I thought your pic showing battery well in front of center may cause a problem with a nose heavy attitude.

The other thing to check is do a sensor calibration with Tri level.

I actually did mine on just the board on a flat level surface prior to installation.

Only issue I had on lift off was the reversed Yaw Gyro.

Were you trying it with Auto Level on, as without it, if P and I gains are about right the craft will stay in whatever attitude it is moved to, within reason, so jiggling sticks around will have it continually moving.

With mine in Auto Level if I get it stationary at 2-3 feet it will generally stay put and level apart from moving with breeze and minor throttle adjustment as is normal..
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
plus you well see on the main screen theres the batt voltage that well read 0.0v
Pretty much if you have gottin a KK2.0 from hobbyking in the last month its has 1.2 fw preloaded.

Went out this evening and burned though 6 packs...
Was on Low rates (stick scaling 90/Expo 5% roll and pitch/ 50%D/R's) While doing a sweet FFF pass i decided to get a roll in there... Got upside down and realized i was on L/R's So while inverted i pulled the Ail D/R switch(as i have the Roll and Pitch D/r on 1 switch) to save my butt...this was at about 20ft alt. My H/Rs are (stick scaling 90 pitch and roll/Expo 40% roll and pitch/ 100%D/R's)

Noticed on mine in AL, it still wants to drift forward and a touch left. So i spent sometime today trying the AL trim function..which is also new to the 1.2 firmware.
I worked my way up to +30 on the roll(which im assuming is to trim right)
and also -30 on the roll(which i assume is to trim back). But the forward/left drift is still noticeable. I was expecting like 10 points max to trim is out as the drift is quite small.

and yes the sensors are calibrated...
RE; firmware 1.2

I have played with these settings quite a bit, I have run the "ACC trim roll / pitch" as high as 150 and as low as -150. The adjustment is real fine, you need to go in 25 increments to see much change.
All the ACC trim does is adjustment for a non-level sensor calibration.
The sensor calibration only affects auto-level.
If you do a sensor calibration tilted then when you switch to auto level the model will hold that tilt.
If auto-level + ACC trim is setup where the model is perfectly level then in a no wind condition the model will sit stationary except for altitude. The problem is if a slight breeze comes up it will drift down wind. You could adjust the trims to stop the drift but as soon as you yaw, change heading, it will drift worse.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
RE; firmware 1.2

I have played with these settings quite a bit, I have run the "ACC trim roll / pitch" as high as 150 and as low as -150. The adjustment is real fine, you need to go in 25 increments to see much change.
Thanks for the info!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Matt, glad you got it hovering sort of, had four good flights with mine this afternoon.

Is the tail motor actually revving faster to tilt it forward ?, have you tried moving your battery back under the middle as I thought your pic showing battery well in front of center may cause a problem with a nose heavy attitude.

The other thing to check is do a sensor calibration with Tri level.

I actually did mine on just the board on a flat level surface prior to installation.

Only issue I had on lift off was the reversed Yaw Gyro.

Were you trying it with Auto Level on, as without it, if P and I gains are about right the craft will stay in whatever attitude it is moved to, within reason, so jiggling sticks around will have it continually moving.

With mine in Auto Level if I get it stationary at 2-3 feet it will generally stay put and level apart from moving with breeze and minor throttle adjustment as is normal..
Thanks again for your input!

I think you nailed it, I made up some crescent shaped skids from PVC sheet today, I moved the battery backwards the other day and got the CG correct, but since adding the skids, of course the weight will go forwards as there are 2 skids in front of the CG and only 1 behind..

I have moved the batter further back now (incidentally the pics you saw before were just with the battery sat on the front, just to test the motors, so yes I can see what you mean, but since then I had balanced it)

The battery pack now is a lot further back to get the CG, and is overhanging the plate by some 30 mm.

I haven't tried AL yet, just wanted to see how it would behave in the off settings. I'll transcribe my settings on my board very soon, so maybe you could check them over and tell me what you think?

I was expecting it to behave how you described, 3 feet up or so, and that's what I'd like to see it do!

Back soon

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
ok , maiden flight .
going from 70 degree house to 51 and cool outside .much more manageable than my FF board was .there was some right yaw going on ,had to keep correcting with left rudder(this normal for the kk?)
did not notice this condition in the house .so maybe this board needs a little warm up too .but i would rather deal with a little yaw drifting than have the quad soaring back towards me as it done with FF board in the cold .

if the yaw continues to yaw right after it warms up outside how do you correct it?

my settings are this so far

Default PI editor settings
Roll/Pitch Axis:
Pgain = 75
Plimit = 100
Igain = 30
Ilimit = 20
Yaw Axis:
Pgain = 75
Plimit = 20
Igain = 50
Ilimit = 10

are these good settings for a 400 size quad?
i set the lipo alarm at 10.2 and i got 9 minutes out of a 2200mah 3s .that a good place to set the alarm?
what about stick scaling?should they all be the same?can anyone offer some good settings for that?

PS-I HAVE V 1.2 FIRMWARE

thanks
It may not be a temperature issue. Do you have a value of zero for the yaw in the receiver test menu? If not, adj your sub trims on the tx till it does. Also check that one of the motors is not tilted as that may cause it to yaw.

Since every quad is different, best way to get the optimum PI settings for your quad is to lower the igain to 0 for all channels and raise the Pgain until you see the quad oscillate quickly. Then lower the Pgain by 5 until it stops. Then start with an igain value half of the pgain and do the same until it wobbles then back it off.

On my quad which is about 500mm I have all my limits set to 20.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
This guy keeps coming up with great iideas!

Y3 mini Tricopter & HK KK2.0 V1.2 self level test flight Vol.41 (8 min 52 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post

Since every quad is different, best way to get the optimum PI settings for your quad is to lower the igain to 0 for all channels and raise the Pgain until you see the quad oscillate quickly. Then lower the Pgain by 5 until it stops. Then start with an igain value half of the pgain and do the same until it wobbles then back it off.

On my quad which is about 500mm I have all my limits set to 20.
I'm having PI issues too. What I'm seeing is tune P, set I to 50% and NOW I get high speed oscillation and some jumpiness in height ( 6 inch jumps up or down on occasion ) so I turn down P. I also keep raising I, now at higher than P and still can't induce low speed oscillation or hold an angle.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide