HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,144 Posts
Esc...crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Perhaps one of your black ones is flaky? Or one of the motors doesn't like the black ones? So many permutations and combinations to check out.

Seems like a good number of intermittent or strange type problems that people have shared here have turned out to be a single bad component (ESC, Motor, extension wire, jumper, etc.), a cold solder joint, a wire plugged in wrong, etc. And the worst is that it seems to take 100's of looks at something till it's noticed (we've all been there).

cheers,
Andrew
Thanks for your input mate ! I 've been to this road before...looking for a ghost problem and needs to check on alot of reasons for one problem...and here I go again.
The one thing now is my mini quad is flying great and that's all I wanted,it's just that it really bothers me why the esc with black motor wires giving the quad a bad shaky flight....I'll get down that road and check why.
Thanks Andrew !
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x batbone project
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFPVflyer View Post
this is crazy, i've thought you've been following her with a car...

Stop that hobby and start a neighborhood security business!

you've shown us a police patrol in some years...

Congrats!
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
KK2 handling the wind

How good is KK2 in the wind ( self level too)

SIX Hexcopter High wind test (5 min 56 sec)
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfakian View Post
?? The charger i use most is RC Power BC6.. never charged more than 4.20v (not even 4.21!) per cell, and never undercharged a battery of these more than half of capacity.. (3.6v max per cell at downside..).. and ALWAYS charging/balancing at 1C... other than that... I CANNOT UNDERSTAND how the charger can affect my batteries!! you know... electronics are simple mathematics!... then.. the quality comes.. that's why i am asking feedback on zippy cells...

P.S. Also my ICON A5 on which i used firstly these batteries, drain at max throttle 16.2A (at 22,2V) which is FAR beyond battery handling (at the low side of course!!).. Never got even warm! (just a bit...)... Isn't normal to wonder?
How old are the batteries? How many cycles on them?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:46 PM
Live to fly... fly to Live!
Greece, Kriti, Crete
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
How old are the batteries? How many cycles on them?
Thanks for your message... batteries are 1 year old and roughly have 10-15 cycles during their life as i was using them on my twinstar ii with plenty of power and time but of course twinstar drains the HALF power at full throttle compared to my quad...
gsfakian is offline Find More Posts by gsfakian
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srepfler View Post
How good is KK2 in the wind ( self level too)

http://youtu.be/5h8F5N-J2_U
KK2 handles the wind better then your hair...lol (ok i'm going out...) nice footage!
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
KK2 handles the wind better then your hair...lol (ok i'm going out...) nice footage!
LOL!!!

Forgot to wear a hat.
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfakian View Post
Thanks for your message... batteries are 1 year old and roughly have 10-15 cycles during their life as i was using them on my twinstar ii with plenty of power and time but of course twinstar drains the HALF power at full throttle compared to my quad...
Batteries can lose their punch from being stored at full charge for long periods of time. As others have said, it also could have been a bad batch, despite your taking care of them.

Back on topic - got my first KK2 and just figured out how to load the driver for the USB programmer (Sparkfun) to make sure the KK2 is up to 1.2 (was there a way to tell the firmware version from the screen/buttons?) Next, I hope to get this mounted up and see how it does. LOVE the LCD interface.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
719 Posts
(was there a way to tell the firmware version from the screen/buttons?)

I've only just got my KK2 v1.2 this week but I notice that when I connect the lipo the screen show what version it is for about 2 seconds before the safe sign appears

ray
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,396 Posts
plus you well see on the main screen theres the batt voltage that well read 0.0v
Pretty much if you have gottin a KK2.0 from hobbyking in the last month its has 1.2 fw preloaded.

Went out this evening and burned though 6 packs...
Was on Low rates (stick scaling 90/Expo 5% roll and pitch/ 50%D/R's) While doing a sweet FFF pass i decided to get a roll in there... Got upside down and realized i was on L/R's So while inverted i pulled the Ail D/R switch(as i have the Roll and Pitch D/r on 1 switch) to save my butt...this was at about 20ft alt. My H/Rs are (stick scaling 90 pitch and roll/Expo 40% roll and pitch/ 100%D/R's)

Noticed on mine in AL, it still wants to drift forward and a touch left. So i spent sometime today trying the AL trim function..which is also new to the 1.2 firmware.
I worked my way up to +30 on the roll(which im assuming is to trim right)
and also -30 on the roll(which i assume is to trim back). But the forward/left drift is still noticeable. I was expecting like 10 points max to trim is out as the drift is quite small.

and yes the sensors are calibrated...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 22, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
Hi Sudsy,may I join your club I was 60 on thursday,I love these contraptions and all the tinkering with the boardsyours,Marty.

Welcome to the club!

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
So I rebuilt my rig today. All new solder, new pad for the KK, and gave the KK a bath ( denatured alcohol and a toothbrush ). Everything checks out and weather is looking favorable for tomorrow. Aluminum c channel and 1/8 birch ply, it's amazing what a lick of spray paint will do to make it look more professional.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
So finally get to fly because I just don't have time anymore.
Forget all my batteries! Ugh. Go home, get the batteries.

Fly two packs. Switch to my 3300mah batteries from the 1500mah. Forget to bring the XT60 to 4mm banana plug adapter! Ugh so I just came home.

Btw while tuning I was able to get the P Gain to 315! It wasn't oscillating! I have flashed ESCs of course.

Also I go to tune, and i forget everything I learned on how to tune lol

Gonna watch the videos again :/

Edit: I watched the videos... Too high P Gain lol. Gonna go back towards the late afternoon to see my LEDs
I am flying my quad with a P gain of 260. Happy there so far.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Look what hobbyking has
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_KIT_.html
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:23 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,541 Posts
I received my new kk2 board from HK a few days ago, and went ahead and flashed it to 1.2.

After I did it, I found out that current kk2 boards come with 1.2 preloaded. Is there any difference between the stock 1.2 firmware and what I just flashed using the kkmulticopter flash tool and version 1.2 by kapteinkuk?
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice