HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,114 Posts
Matt flying outside is easier, I always take off with Auto Level on, its not so twitchy in ground effect and it smooths out control.
You need to be above 2 feet to get smooth air really, watch the grass below you can still see it moving.

I would just fly around with Auto level on until you get used to how it moves, I still fly with it on most of time unless doing Flips etc.

When you get used to it, you can start raising the Stick Scaling on the KK2 to increase its responsiveness.

A couple of pics of mine, battery is attached under the center section and sits level with front of the ply mount.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, NE, Omaha
Joined Jul 2006
87 Posts
Can anyone advise if the kk2accv2 changed the flight characteristic when not in AL mode?
Backfired is online now Find More Posts by Backfired
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, MA, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Some updates:

I am going to rewrite the whole thing in C. Yep, I'm getting old!

It is so much easier to develop, debug and maintain. Also my math-library is not up to the task of rotating 3D vectors, needed for better self-level.

Due to the small program memory some features probably have to go.

In worst case it will have to be multicopter type specific hex files, like on the KK1.

I'm going to use AVR-GCC.

After writing a few arduino (C) programs, I went back to assembly to fix my brushed motor ESC firmware.

Then it hit me: "What the truck am I doing? I have to be bat-shlt-crazy to write large programs in assembly! This thing is so cryptic that I have to reverse-engineer my own source code!"

Haha
Awesome! I can't wait.
scolton is offline Find More Posts by scolton
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
819 Posts
Kaptain KK, it always gives us guys a real kick when we see a post from you!
Thank you for the update and we always look forward to hearing from you!

Now, one quick question for all of the guys here in this MASSIVE thread;

WHAT CAUSES THE DREADED "DEATH FLIP" AND WHAT IS THE CURE?
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Thanks again Andrew and Deyrick that helps a lot

I'll set up AL then and hopefully no dramas! Should I reflash with the scolton FW or stick with the KK 1.2 FW for AL?

What are those legs made from on your Tri Deyrick ? Nice little fleet you have there!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
338 Posts
firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Hey Mike,

Firmware Version 1.2 is fine. You just need to tune it to get it right.

What issues are you having? If you have a spider quad, i dont think the setups in the KK2 will work out of the box. Since the spider quads have different layout than just a regular quad. You will have to change the values in the Mix Editor to get it right.

Maybe someone here can give you some Custom Mixer Editor values...
Thanks fernman,
I have never been able to get it to fly long enough to tune it and have been messing around with the values in the mixer ed' and now it is totaly crazy! I have had this board <the one fitted at present> checked out on another aircraft, where it was fine .???:
If someone gives me some editor values I will try them .

Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:21 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Now, one quick question for all of the guys here in this MASSIVE thread;

WHAT CAUSES THE DREADED "DEATH FLIP" AND WHAT IS THE CURE?
A bad flash will cause this. Re-Flash your KK2 with new firmware and try again.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2009
338 Posts
up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
Mike

If you are referring to our conversation it was the 1.1 that apparently had problems not 1.2

I am still waiting for new KK2 board to arrive maybe this one will fly

Jeff

PS I thought you were much much older than 70
Soz Jeff thought you said 1.2 so I will try flashing that and also find the re-set to original setup .
I am realy 400 years old ! just good for my age.
Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micarus View Post
Thanks fernman,
I have never been able to get it to fly long enough to tune it and have been messing around with the values in the mixer ed' and now it is totaly crazy! I have had this board <the one fitted at present> checked out on another aircraft, where it was fine .???:
If someone gives me some editor values I will try them .

Cheers MIKE.
I've never used/messed with the mixer editor, But if you don't know exactly what your doing in there..i would select yes on the last option on the main menu!! or wait till someone post there settings, which still may not help your Problems.
Your "spider quad? got any pic's? reason i ask is i tried a simple search on Google of KK2.0 on spider quad. Seems alot of people call a normal quadcopter X a spider quad.
where as here is a real Spider quad!

blueskyrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products _id=29

So unless you have this or one similar where the arms are offset, the mixer editor may on compound your issues...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Soz Jeff thought you said 1.2 so I will try flashing that and also find the re-set to original setup .
Cheers MIKE.
I thought you just had a rough paper round ...

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Thanks again Andrew and Deyrick that helps a lot

I'll set up AL then and hopefully no dramas! Should I reflash with the scolton FW or stick with the KK 1.2 FW for AL?

What are those legs made from on your Tri Deyrick ? Nice little fleet you have there!

Matt
I would just stick with standard 1.2, thats all i am using, I left the AL settings that came in with 1.2 at default, I do not use Height Dampening or whatever its called either.

Legs are just 3/8 or 10mm square Spruce, have used 10mm square Pine as well, its ok for my shorter legs.
I think RCexplorer uses 10mm spruce for his legs upto 50cm.

Hopefully get some flying in tomorrow.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Some updates:

It is so much easier to develop, debug and maintain. Also my math-library is not up to the task of rotating 3D vectors, needed for better self-level.

In worst case it will have to be multicopter type specific hex files, like on the KK1.

After writing a few arduino (C) programs, I went back to assembly to fix my brushed motor ESC firmware.

Then it hit me: "What the truck am I doing? I have to be bat-shlt-crazy to write large programs in assembly! This thing is so cryptic that I have to reverse-engineer my own source code!"

Haha
I think your idea of creating specific hex files for each multirotor type is a brilliant idea. This way you can max out the code space for each type. Thanks for all your work on this flight controller!
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Cheers MIKE.

Huumm 400 looks about right

jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Great News!

Quote:
Some updates:

Haha
Great to hear that things will be moving forward.

From reading this topic from the beginning, which pretty much aligned with my entry into multi-copters, I would say that the convenience of having all FW pre-loaded is offset, and likely more, by problems people had with having the wrong version selected. I had no problems when I updated my board to 1.2, so having to re-load it with tri FW would be just fine.

My vote is to focus 100% on flight performance, and let us worry about having the right version loaded.

Finally, thanks again for doing this development. My first tri flew out of the box using the stock settings and thus far has only been limited by my ability to learn how to keep track of it's direction.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Do not give up on simplicity

Kapitan
You designed an ideal unit for the beginner in this remarkable field. Do not Change it to requiring "flashing" for function.

There are many of us, some of which are older folk, who do not do well with the concepts of flashing to change anything. I for one have various FC 's that have never been succesfully flown because of lack of confidence in the "Flashing regime" The straight forward programming on board lcd has been a god send. I now have multiple multis of different sizes and configs because of the confidence your FC brings. I have 6 KK controllers on 5 flyable units. and have more frames waiting in the wings.

I am partially disabled and the multis are providing a means for me to stay active at 67 years. These units mean I can go out and do without having to drag a laptop for every adjustment.
a_pistolero is offline Find More Posts by a_pistolero