SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
Foamy Saucer

Hey all;

Here's a video of my foamy saucer project. Everything ready just waiting for KK2 board. This is the one I had to return. I did order another so I should have it soon. I have one motor that just seems stiff as compared to the others so we will see. The green and white on the bottom and the red on the aft are directly connected to the power board. I can unplug and fly the quad without the foam. The center "cabin" is a cake frosting container. I can just put another one on to protect the boards when flying without the foam. I think this will allow flying outside in a little more wind than the foam could take. The outer lights are on a switch with a sequencer. HK again.

Sudsy

2012 10 18 14 59 45 (1 min 39 sec)
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
Dude that thing is sick I've always looked at LEDs but I can't figure out how you make them the right length you need also do they just plug into a servo channel on the rx?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Dude that thing is sick I've always looked at LEDs but I can't figure out how you make them the right length

well you can cut them every three units. It's clearly marked on the tape.

you need also do they just plug into a servo channel on the rx?

Short answer is no. They require 6-12 Vdc to operate. The more the better (brighter. They run just fine with a 3 cell LiPo (12.6 fully charged)

The sequenced one's are special from Hobby Long listed under "Night Flying" as are the regular single colors. They are very easy to setup and use. They are diodes but you can't hurt them if you hook them up backwards. The sequenced one's are switch controlled from the transmitter.
Sudsy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
Thanks for your answer. I'm going to look intO them.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Dude that thing is sick I've always looked at LEDs but I can't figure out how you make them the right length you need also do they just plug into a servo channel on the rx?
Leds are pretty cool and not to hard to do. Just need some 22 gauge wires and leds.
Yes you can run directly from the RX or make a connector and plug into the balance lead.
On mine i have it on a turigy on/off switch and plugged into the gear channel. and soldered into the bottom plate/PCB pos and neg solder points.
Part 1
Installing LEDS to QuadCopter Part 1 (13 min 39 sec)

Part2
Installing LEDS to Quadcopter Part 2 (8 min 7 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,476 Posts
@eastcoast thanks for the videos and your continues help. I'm going to watch the bids when I get off work
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
I use a brushed esc from Hobby King. Like 5 bucks. And then when attached to the knob on my dx8, it works like a dimmer switch... Just a sec, have a vid...
Creepin22 is offline Find More Posts by Creepin22
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:45 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepin22 View Post
I use a brushed esc from Hobby King. Like 5 bucks. And then when attached to the knob on my dx8, it works like a dimmer switch... Just a sec, have a vid...

That's brilliant. I'm gonna stop using them things for fishing sinkers! I got a bucket full of em!

Really. It's just so simple.

Sudsy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,868 Posts
would be amazing what could be done using a Devo8 with the custom Deviation firmware...using the 3 position mix switch could have 3 setting for the Leds..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
Here's my vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcz0cP4-Nms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

P.S. Sudsy, you got some extra brushed esc's I could use a few more! Lol
Creepin22 is offline Find More Posts by Creepin22
Last edited by Creepin22; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Hmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I know it's stupid, but triple check and then locktite the CW props ( 1, 3 ) and see if the problem persists. Could be slippage and I was having similar symptoms for a few days that I could not track down and then yesterday I actually lost a prop mid-flight.

Ended up cutting the shaft short and attaching the props to the bell housing, not gonna have that problem again.
Its not stupid... far from it ! although I already checked the props and the motor shafts. I have been playing with Electric aircraft pretty much since they were possible. and I have been throught all the mechanical things I could think of. Thats why I came here looking for help. I Flashed the acc mod2 last night and flew 4 batteries without the problem re-occuring although I'm not 100% because it was very windy so flights were mostly hovering into the wind and fighting turbulance, hopfuly it will be a bit better tonight. As for the acc mod, I think its brilliant. I was really struggling before I flashed it to my KK2. I have been flying fixed wing RC for over 35 yrs and rotory wing is a real mision for me.
Thanks for the help guys.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
I am definately a Night Flyer

I actually do most of my flying at night anymore. I find it easier and the biggest thing is if you do take your eyes off for a second it's easy to reacquire the plane.

Here's a picture of the wing I have been flying at night for several years now. I have green "bolt lights" in the leading edge and red and yellow behind the pusher prop on the same switch. (afterburner effect works great, the kids love it!) It's all white and blue on the bottom but very hard to photograph due to massive intensity. You MUST have faith in your wiring and I always try to separate my lights into several feeds for redundancy.

If you can't tell I tested real airplanes and copters for a living.

Still retired because they can't un-retire me!

Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I'm still on firmware 1.1 (my ebay USB Asp is lost in mail system) but I had a problem similiar to yours just recently. I had calibrated my KK2 board fine and flew my X250 in both modes without any problems, except when I was flying one day and decided to slow into a hover and toggle the self level mode on. My X250 started to go forward and to the right! I was like Wot? I reigned her in then switched SL off and put her into a stable hover no problem, switched SL back on.... and it drifted forwards right again! I don't know why I didn't notice such drift before...?? Normally I would land to switch modes, and thus never noticed the problem.... i probably just compensated for it subconciously. lol

Then I remembered that I calibrated it on a tilted floor... so I spent a tuning session putting my X250 on a few shims to tilt her back left, then calibrating it at that angle, then doing test hovers in Self Level mode until it hovered over my bed with no E/A stick needed. Now she's properly calibrated!

I don't know if this is the same issue as yours, but good luck!
Thanks Buddy. I dont yet have the skill to switch between modes in flight, the only time I fly with AL off is when it is dead calm and haven't had the problem then, only in AL. I have re-calibrated the board that many times now, I'm a bloody expert but I know where your comming from. I used a laser to level all the props and a bubble on the board so its gotta be close to perfect. As mentioned earlier, the mod2 flash seems to have fixed the problem but time will tell.

Thanks again for your time.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
Exactly my thoughts, I am only a couple of years behind you, been flying RC for the past 50.

This is what I designed and use in the business. This is the evaluation model, it tests all new software. The one customers see looks the same but folds and fits in a case. I currently have over 500 flight hours on this design.

I'll through my hat in Fella's. Im a spring chicken at 52 but I've logged over 1000hrs with my thumb on the trainer button teaching newbs (young and old) to fly fixed wing RC and I do get a little...... dissapointed at this sort of stuff. I have spent almost 4 hrs reading through this thread to find some help and it is almost time for another nap. lol
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I actually do most of my flying at night anymore. I find it easier and the biggest thing is if you do take your eyes off for a second it's easy to reacquire the plane.

Here's a picture of the wing I have been flying at night for several years now. I have green "bolt lights" in the leading edge and red and yellow behind the pusher prop on the same switch. (afterburner effect works great, the kids love it!) It's all white and blue on the bottom but very hard to photograph due to massive intensity. You MUST have faith in your wiring and I always try to separate my lights into several feeds for redundancy.

If you can't tell I tested real airplanes and copters for a living.

Still retired because they can't un-retire me!

Sudsy
Mate! you are as bad as me... I have led's on everything, my car, my boat, house, planes, quad... my wife thinks I'm autistic. lol