HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Hi Matt, glad you got it sorted, ESC programming looks ok, its what my Standard ESCs are set to.
Use a low voltage alarm and timer to tell you when to land.

For the rotating on lift off, as long as your rudder stick is zero'd on the Receiver test, the following will fix it. (mine did same, fast rotation in one direction).

From item 14 in Q&A first post
"
Q: How to reverse the yaw gyro for a tricopter?
A: Go to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100"

Or visa Versa obviously dpending on what it is currently.

Some need it, some dont, depends on which way your servo rotates to the Gyro input.

By the way I have the 8X4.5 props from Giantshark on my tri and a Quad, work great, just as good as the Gemfans I had.

Deyrick
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, MA, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Im sure if does work now, but i could not be bothered...i actually fly my quad, not just keep the back of it closest to me all the time and just fly straight out and up with no banking or yawing...
Quote:
maybe next year ill try accmod2.6
Quote:
short form what exactly do you want to do? If it flys fine!! why mess with it?
I would be very happy if you don't mess with it. Seems like things can only get worse for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
So it would be inappropriate for flips then?
Correct. I don't think of self-level as a back-up or alternative for rate mode. It's a different way of flying, more similar to how other flight controllers I've used work. The way I have it set up, the maximum stick travel corresponds to about 45 of pitch or roll, so I can't make it flip in self-level mode even if I tried.
scolton is offline Find More Posts by scolton
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:59 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
One last quickie, the PI settings in accmod2.. I reverted back to the stable branch because I was a little intimidated by additional pages without any idea how to tune. Roll, Pitch, and Yaw all have two PI's to set are they set the same way as the traditional firmware?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, MA, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
One last quickie, the PI settings in accmod2.. I reverted back to the stable branch because I was a little intimidated by additional pages without any idea how to tune. Roll, Pitch, and Yaw all have two PI's to set are they set the same way as the traditional firmware?
Always:

P sets the amount of output commanded in response to a rate error.
I sets the amount of output commanded in response to rate error build-up.

In Rate Mode (Self-Level Off):

Stick position sets the desired rate of rotation.
Stick scaling controls the maximum rate.

In Angle Mode (Self-Level On):

Stick position sets the desired angle (with respect to horizontal).
Stick scaling controls the maximum angle.
Self-Level P sets the amount of rate commanded in response to an angle error.
Self-Level I is always zero for me, as per KK's recommendation.
scolton is offline Find More Posts by scolton
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Hi Matt, glad you got it sorted, ESC programming looks ok, its what my Standard ESCs are set to.
Use a low voltage alarm and timer to tell you when to land.

For the rotating on lift off, as long as your rudder stick is zero'd on the Receiver test, the following will fix it. (mine did same, fast rotation in one direction).

From item 14 in Q&A first post
"
Q: How to reverse the yaw gyro for a tricopter?
A: Go to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100"

Or visa Versa obviously dpending on what it is currently.

Some need it, some dont, depends on which way your servo rotates to the Gyro input.

By the way I have the 8X4.5 props from Giantshark on my tri and a Quad, work great, just as good as the Gemfans I had.

Deyrick

Thanks Deyrick

I actually saw that my rudder was configured the wrong way round, so reversed it using my menu in the DX-7.
Tried again, did a tiny hop in my lounge, just went up about 6" dead straight (put it straight back down, my lounge is tiny)

Now my rudder inputs are the correct way around, does that sound okay, or do I need to actually change the setting to -100 on the board?

I need to get some pipe lagging now and cut off 6" sections and tie wrap to the arms, as kind of landing skid/ cushioners.

I have about 25 degrees throw each way on my yaw servo (tilt on the motor) is that ok, or should I have more/less movement?

Still not sure about the expo settings, if indeed I need any expo at all?

Last job, take the back off my DX-7 swap the pots around again from mode 1 to mode 2, as that's how I've been flying my mSR and V.911 micro copters. I'm assuming this board will behave in a similar way to these little helis?

I can't tell you how happy I am that finally I have a board which is working as it should

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Matt,

YES, imagine if the KK tries to compensate for yaw... it will do so in the wrong direction!
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
Quote:
Matt,

YES, imagine if the KK tries to compensate for yaw... it will do so in the wrong direction!
Yes, I suppose so, didn't occur to me! (still on a steep learning curve)

Ok, so I guess I need to reverse the rudder on my tx back to where it was, then change the board parameters to -100 then?

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
88 Posts
Guru,

Can someone explain here the use of Height dampening & Height D. Limit.

thanks
jaydrone is offline Find More Posts by jaydrone
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:50 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Yes, I suppose so, didn't occur to me! (still on a steep learning curve)

Ok, so I guess I need to reverse the rudder on my tx back to where it was, then change the board parameters to -100 then?

Cheers

Matt
Probably. In the receiver test just make sure that left rudder is left yaw, then set the board to compensate the right way. I just got my tricopter flying for the first time a few days ago and that's what I did and it worked fine. It was pretty obvious that the yaw was reversed when I had it backward. I just gave it enough throttle to get a bit light, but not airborne, and then tried the controls.

HTH.

cheers,
Andrew

PS. I stumbled across this video the other day (after I'd got mine flying). I thought it was a good way to test things out while controlling the risk of damage.
Quadcopter Maiden Test.MOV (1 min 16 sec)
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Last edited by Banjo5; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add link to video
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Tried again, did a tiny hop in my lounge, just went up about 6" dead straight (put it straight back down, my lounge is tiny)

Now my rudder inputs are the correct way around, does that sound okay, or do I need to actually change the setting to -100 on the board?

Matt
If your tricopter did not spin out of control when it lifted off, then your YAW Gyro is good and you do NOT need to set it to -100 in the mixer.

If you lift off with the tricopter, and it immediately goes into a tail spin, then the Gyro is reversed. If not, you are fine.
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydrone View Post
Guru,

Can someone explain here the use of Height dampening & Height D. Limit.

thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5298
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
@Matt What Subaru said.

From your first statement I was not sure if it just spun or was rotating wrong per rudder stick.

If Yaw mix wrong the movement the Gyro gives trying to compensate, just moves the rudder further that way hence the spin.

I was waiting for it to do it on first lift, so as soon as it had enough thrust to lift the Tri wanted to spin one way, shut throttle disarmed changed mixer setting re armed and was up flying.

As for Expo, it is personal choice, I have mine at -35% (just checked) it makes it smoother around center stick for hovering around.

Have low rates at 60% and High at 100%.

Auto Level behaves like extra Expo in its flight feel, I tend to have it on most of the time unless doing flips, rolls etc as I can still fly fast circuits and dive vertically etc.

Deyrick
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
@Matt What Subaru said.

From your first statement I was not sure if it just spun or was rotating wrong per rudder stick.

If Yaw mix wrong the movement the Gyro gives trying to compensate, just moves the rudder further that way hence the spin.

I was waiting for it to do it on first lift, so as soon as it had enough thrust to lift the Tri wanted to spin one way, shut throttle disarmed changed mixer setting re armed and was up flying.

As for Expo, it is personal choice, I have mine at -35% (just checked) it makes it smoother around center stick for hovering around.

Have low rates at 60% and High at 100%.

Auto Level behaves like extra Expo in its flight feel, I tend to have it on most of the time unless doing flips, rolls etc as I can still fly fast circuits and dive vertically etc.

Deyrick
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear, I think this might be easier from now. Loved the video with the testing rig, great idea.

Well, she lifts off pretty clean and straight, so am happy with that. I'll try some tentative hops as soon as my DX-7 is back on mode 2, and when my low voltage alarm is wired in. I saw a few suggestions regarding alarm mounting, one involved using a balancing pug, the one from Sweden I saw suggested a single red wire coming from the board, could I not just solder this into the red lead on the opposite side of the main battery Dean's connector?

Not sure if I got that right..
Oh yes, still need to make another lead up for aux channel and self levelling...Thanks for the wonderful assistance guys.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
834 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear, I think this might be easier from now. Loved the video with the testing rig, great idea.

Well, she lifts off pretty clean and straight, so am happy with that. I'll try some tentative hops as soon as my DX-7 is back on mode 2, and when my low voltage alarm is wired in. I saw a few suggestions regarding alarm mounting, one involved using a balancing pug, the one from Sweden I saw suggested a single red wire coming from the board, could I not just solder this into the red lead on the opposite side of the main battery Dean's connector?

Not sure if I got that right..
Oh yes, still need to make another lead up for aux channel and self levelling...Thanks for the wonderful assistance guys.
I use these battery alarms from HK. I suggest the four cell pictured here.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18987

It will do 2, 3 or 4 cell packs and connects to the balance plug. I just tuck mine in under the velcro strap that holds my pack. I can actually see the green/red lights while in flight. The lights tell you when each cell drops to 3.3 volts (?) and the alarm (very loud) sounds when the overall pack reaches a safe minimum. As for the KK2 on board alarm you only need 1 wire from the power source. If you use a power distribution board anywhere on the positive battery side will do. Just not from the receiver or ESCs as these are regulated low voltage outputs.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I also use the cell checker that plugs into the balance plug. I got mine for $3 off ebay. I recommend this type as it will check each cell. If any cell drops below a certain voltage, the alarm goes off. And its probably 100x louder than the KK2 alarm, im not sure, i have not wired in my KK2 voltage alarm yet.