HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Well I'd be building this quad for someone else not me lol so if he wants to order more crap he can where do you live? I just moved from Alaska to Tennessee man it's way better here I hated Alaska. I'm in the army that's why I was there for 3 n half years.
I'm up in eastern Canada! On a island in the North Atlantic... A lot of places in the states wont ship up here to Canada ehhh...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:35 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,441 Posts
Yeah that was the same with Alaska I drove all threw Canada it was beautiful and an awesome experience idk if I'll ever get to do again. Man those were awesome days.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:41 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Can someone lead me to the instructions for "Flashing" this card? I have the usb interface cable from HK. I did reflash my old V-3 card but This is a new 64 bit computer and I used my old one before. I see the files. I just need a step by step procedure.

Sudsy
STEVEIS WROTE
Yep, that is why I wrote the added functionality in as a lot of people are having problems arming their KK2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743395

Plus one to Sudsy's request for a ( on my part ) DUMMIES GUIDE) 32 bit with XP

Steveis
could you oblige I would like to try and revive my dead KK2 with your code but no clue how

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:51 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
So I have revived my board and I am not sure exactly what did it. I think the atmega fuses might have been corrupted at some point and resetting them to sane values appears to have brought it back to life. I will post the avrdude command line string when I have a chance to go back to my desktop and grap all the numbers.
Any luck figuring how you did it

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:02 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,156 Posts
So has anyone used the board for anything other than a multicopter setup? A friend was over the other day and I was showing him my first quad and he sent me a text asking me to ask if anyone has used it on a cp heli for instance. I know in the settings there are many other flying setups to choose from. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried it. He was asking and thinking about trying it out on his trex.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:13 AM
Fly For Fun
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2002
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
haha watch the vid i just posted...;0) But hey!! a frame and kk is only as good as the pilot

But yea its a awesome frame; for the price it can be beat! Also pick up one of the non pcb versions... you'll get the hardware and the arms as replacement...you may need them...So for 11bucks its a good idea.
Some have said the arms dont line up the greatest, on my old non pcb one, i had to widen the holes a touch on a few of them with a small file. But on this new one it was pretty good. Use lock tite and you'll be set.

Dont be stupid like me and order stock DJI arms...the screws for Hk version are too big!!
HK's arm screws are 3mm and Stock DJI's are 2.5mm So seeing i paid almost 30 bones for 4 arms from Foxtech FPV, i had to order stock djiscrews from another vendor for 11bucks shipped...i had a DUH moment...

But don't hold it against me...

I wanted to order one aswell, but they only ship to the lower 48...which SUCKS
I simply ran a 3mm tap through the 2.5mm holes....... done.
Mike
funflyrc is offline Find More Posts by funflyrc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Great Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
The KK2 has no understanding of your ESC's. What the KK2 is actually telling you is that it is sending your throttle position to all ESCs at the same time (pushing buttons 1 & 4 puts it in this state).

Generally (although, not in every case) you calibrate the throttle range on an ESC by connecting it to the throttle channel on the receiver, power up tx on full throttle, power up ESC and receiver, wait for a beep from the ESC which says "I have set max throttle position", move tx throttle to zero and ESC then knows when the zero position is.

If you can set the ESC throttle end points with the above method, you should be able to set all of them through the KK2 board. Check your ESC manual to ensure this is how it calibrates its end points.
Thanks for posting this ... there seems to be so much "mystique" around ESC calibration that it seems like some sort of voodoo must be going on. Knowing what is needed explains things better. I'm still new to brushless ESC's and multi-rotors so this is great to finally know what is happening. This would be great info to have in the first pages and/or manual.

I had always figured that the FC was also being somehow calibrated, so wondered why doing them one at a time with the RX was still OK. Now I know.

Thanks again.

cheers,
Andrew

PS. Was just thinking about this, I know KK was concerned about props, but an individual output "pass through" test mode would be handy. Could use it to cal an individual ESC, or test the throw on a servo without unplugging stuff (which sometimes seems to lead to hard to diagnose problems when reconnected in error it seems).
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Last edited by Banjo5; Oct 16, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Add PS.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
ESC Problem

I am having trouble with my KK2 board in that I try calibrating the ESC's and there is no Upper limit beep after the initialization tones...When I try to fly it, it will run for a while then motors 1 and 3 slow and stop. they are all ESC's with built in bec 30a
2212-13 motors
flycapt is offline Find More Posts by flycapt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
France, RA, Roche-la-Molière
Joined Sep 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
The unused self-leveling algorithm was in place from the start, and was the one I wanted to use originally.

It treats the Roll and Pitch axis separately. It keeps track of the absolute angle by integrating the output from the gyro on that axis, and corrects the angle with a small part of the angle from the accelerometer on that axis when it is within a certain range (+- 10 degrees or something like that).

This angle is then fed into the control PI loop resulting in roll/pitch angles controlled by the stick.

Unfortunately it was not that easy. It works very well as long as no yaw is commanded when the craft is not level, as seen in the video earlier in the thread. If yaw is applied when not level, both roll and pitch angles change, but roll/pitch gyros does not sense this rotation, resulting in wrong angles. Try for your self with a airplane model in your hand.

I burned quite a few brain cells trying to add an algorithm that fixed this problem, and I partially succeeded, but it had problems due to "gimbal lock". My goal was to have a recovery-proof self-leveling that can be turned on in any attitude.

An AHRS/DCM algorithm will do that, but I have failed so far.

I will retry to get the unused self-leveling algorithm better. In its current form it can be used as long it is turned on before any yaw turns while banked, or pitch turns (90 deg bank turn) is made and no such maneuvers is made afterwards.

In short: only yaw when level.
Hello KK
No news about that ??
Thanks
vivazapata is offline Find More Posts by vivazapata
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycapt View Post
I am having trouble with my KK2 board in that I try calibrating the ESC's and there is no Upper limit beep after the initialization tones...When I try to fly it, it will run for a while then motors 1 and 3 slow and stop. they are all ESC's with built in bec 30a
2212-13 motors
The clockwise motors only? ... you sure the props are not coming loose?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,102 Posts
Has anyone experienced a wobble at medium to slow flight speed, when the motors are unloaded, as in a slight descent?
I am flying a tri with 1.2 firmware. The model is VERY stable and has never had this problem using a original KK board with Pololu gyros, running Mike Barton 1.5 firmware. With the original board the model is extremely stable in calm to light wind. I have set up the KK2 with the same stability, (tested hand holding) and when I fly it I get this wobble. I have reduced the amplitude of the wobble a bit by turning off I gain and reducing P but then the model flies “sloppy’ and at that setting seems to hunt in pitch and roll.
I have switched boards back and forth to eliminate any variables.
This is what I get with the original KK and Mike Barton’s firmware just to show the model is airworthy.
tractor play.avi (0 min 57 sec)
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Last edited by cyhyam; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
STEVEIS WROTE
Yep, that is why I wrote the added functionality in as a lot of people are having problems arming their KK2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743395

Plus one to Sudsy's request for a ( on my part ) DUMMIES GUIDE) 32 bit with XP

Steveis
could you oblige I would like to try and revive my dead KK2 with your code but no clue how

Jeff
OK well maybe I'm just being stupid here but...

I have downloaded the Flash Tool. I can't find the new code in the list for the KK2 board. I have downloaded and unzipped the new code from Steveis and have it in my downloads list. I can't figure out how to get the code from my PC to the board.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,318 Posts
Quote:
OK well maybe I'm just being stupid here but...

I have downloaded the Flash Tool. I can't find the new code in the list for the KK2 board. I have downloaded and unzipped the new code from Steveis and have it in my downloads list. I can't figure out how to get the code from my PC to the board.

Sudsy
First off what new firmware are you talking about?

If you downloaded the FW from the net somewhere. You have to open it in the file drop window. find it(where ever you saved it to) i.e decktop. once you have selected it. then you proceed to hit the green flash button and it well flash the FW for you...
On lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
there are lots of vid'son how to do it.

If you already have the flashtool installed and the correct drivers etc...start watching around 5min mark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n75SOIw#at=275
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
834 Posts
Quote:
Well I got to foolin around with throttle travel settings and such on my DX7 and also turned on Height Dampening (set to 30/5) and now I can ARM with right rudder at idle but not SAFE with left rudder input at idle. Am I going to have to do the dreaded "throttle calibration" again? Should I just do each individual ESC straight from the receiver. I mean I'm retired and have nothing but time.

BTW I noticed that I was at 2/3 throttle yesterday just to hover. I did gain some rpm with the new settings. The machine just sounds more powerful now.

Should I do my P&I settings again. It rained here again today so I just slept in.

OK I just remembered the earlier post and have reset my rudder limits to 108/108. We will see if that works a little later. I may have increased the travel limits because I was not happy with the yaw rate. I checked other models on m Tx and reset throttle and rudder to defaults. I just have to stop fooling with stuff.

I think I forgot to say that it weighs 2.18 lbs without the battery pack. I am flying some 4 cell 4000 packs and they are pretty heavy. (308 grams/10 oz)

Sudsy
Here I go quoting myself.

Well the problem was that I changed the stick scaling on the rudder. I had it up at 60. I put it back to the default (30) and all is fine.

Moral of story. Stop fooling with stuff! (yea right)

Sudsy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
834 Posts
ARMING question

I just watched the videos at this site:

http://scolton.blogspot.com/2012/09/...0-modding.html

Does it make a difference if you ARM the board with self leveling on or off? Does ARMING with self leveling on make it more stable? I checked function on my first flight and I landed and turned self leveling on and made sure it didn't do anything weird. It flew fine. I have of course done the sensor calibration on a level surface.

Also does the firmware I am flying (v 1.2)include the firmware this guy talks about? I just got the board from HK and they say it has the latest firmware (v 1.2).

I am not Flashing anything since I have everything working well enough to fly. I guess I'm more of a Hardware guy and this Flashing the board kinda scares me. I will wait until I get my next two boards so I have a spare.

How about the numbers for Height Dampening, anyone have a ballpark setting?

Sudsy