HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
Learn to fly with thumb..
Indonesia, West Java, Depok
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Until you can get the ESC and motor to work without the KK board I would would not presume its a bad board. Maybe map one of the knobs to an aux channel to rule out the Rx unit as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Agree with Bontide you need to make sure this is right.

Did you try the connector to the Rx up the other way, ie switch black and white/orange, constant beeps means no signal usually.

Also check the ESC's are all programmed the same with Brake off, Nimh Battery and Low cutoff etc (standard for Multirotors), you should have instructions that came with them, either using Tx and beeps or a program card.

On the KK2 the wires from Rx and to the motors should all have the black wire to the outside of the board.
thanks Brontide & Del-Dredd, will try it today and post the result.

UPDATE:
Calibrating all ESC one by one, and test it... horray... it sync with same speed on each motor, even on M1
Many thanks for pointing it out for me.
waladi is online now Find More Posts by waladi
Last edited by waladi; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Let the magic smoke out...

But I'm very glad it didn't happen in flight. My bad, as shown in the photo, a strand of wire was floating around off the battery monitor and an inadvertent 4S connection seems to have taken out the analog voltage reference.

Might be repairable but why chance it. The replacement KK will be fed more carefully, probably with insulated resistor lead.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Thanks ! I am like 50% done ....still alot of things to do.I did cut the shaft on all DT700 motors...frame is ready but looks like I need a higher skid.I have the T380 skid on it right now, I can get away with it but ,I want it higher.How 'bout yours?Are you almost done ? What frame are you using ?
My Y6 is almost ready for testing. I just need to 'borrow' the KK2.0 controller from my VTail copter.

I am using a modified VC-550 QUAD/OCTO frame from HoverThings (www.hoverthings.com) with one arm removed, so the copter will look like a T instead of an Y. I had to extend the rear arm a bit and this has taken some time (Metal work is not my forte. ). You can expect pictures and additional information in a few days.
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
But I'm very glad it didn't happen in flight. My bad, as shown in the photo, a strand of wire was floating around off the battery monitor and an inadvertent 4S connection seems to have taken out the analog voltage reference.

Might be repairable but why chance it. The replacement KK will be fed more carefully, probably with insulated resistor lead.
you should solder a pin instead. that way you can always disconnect it.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waladi View Post
Hi All..

I am really new in this rc (so please bear with me here..).
With lots of help from friends, I manage to assemble my first quad with following spec: HK KK2 board with LCD, ESC Turnigy Plush 30A and NTM motors with Turnigy 9X Tx and 8ch Rx.

Checklist before first flight:
* Sensor test and calibrate -> ok
* Load motor layout : Quad "X" mode and check motor rotation -> ok
* Receiver test -> ok
* ESC Calibration -> beep perfectly -> (assuming) ok with stock HK firmware

Then arming the motor and put the throttle 50%.. and got the problem below..

Problem Shown:
* 3 motors spin at same speed but 1 motor (R1) spin more slower then others.
* even if we change the motor and ESC from any motors (R2, R3, R4) to port motor #1 (R1) will give the same result as above, previous R1 motor & ESC will act normally on R2, R3, R4 port.
* Factory reset and re-checked above checklist end up with the same problem.
* Try to connect the ESC directly to the throttle ch 3 in order to calibrate one-by-one but got the annoying constant beep and not responding to throttle stick.

Suspect:
* Bad firmware loaded ?
"assuming" already got the latest one with battery level on SAFE screen.
* Bad soldering ?
How do I check the solder quality on R1 or other places?

Please help me.. any suggestion will be highly appreciated..
Did you try a 'lift-off'? Will it fly?
Maybe all that is needed is some stick trim.
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post

I though it was the norm to solder if from the bottom? also to the Neg tab? I haven't done this mod yet. But was considering too. I use a LVC alarm.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I though it was the norm to solder if from the bottom? also to the Neg tab? I haven't done this mod yet. But was considering too. I use a LVC alarm.
The +B hole is intended to tap into the positive lead from the flight pack and I did solder from the bottom - the wire was pushed in through the top and soldered on the back side of the board. No freaking way I would solder on the top side - too much surface mount and tight quarters. The top side pad and bottom side pad of a "via" or "through hole" are electrically joined by by plating or sleeves, as shown in the attached PCB cutaway:

Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Learn to fly with thumb..
Indonesia, West Java, Depok
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
Did you try a 'lift-off'? Will it fly?
Maybe all that is needed is some stick trim.
Yes it "fly" towards the slow motor M1 (not R1, sorry) and almost flip off.

UPDATE:
Horray... Now it sync nicely, have to calibrate the ESC one by one. Thanks..
waladi is online now Find More Posts by waladi
Last edited by waladi; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
First Flight

All went well. I did learn a lot. My P&I settings came out to the following with a 10 MPH wind blowing and gusting to 15. I have a video and I know these numbers seem high as compared to anything I have read so far here. This is a HK Talon V-2 with four pancake motors the each weight 67 grams. (it's a heavy unit) I fy it with four cell 4000 Mha packs. I have just turned uo the yaw P gain to 100 and the Yaw P limit to 50 but I have not flown with these rudder settings. When that #4 motor went askew it made right rudder ineffective. The yaw was sluggish at best with the default settings.

P gain= 265
P limit=100

I gain=285
I limit=50

self level

P gain=65
P limit=30

I plan to recheck in calm wind but I was anxious to fly it.

I have a video for YouTube I will try to get up soon. The biggest problem was things getting loose. I used locktite on all fasteners but #4 motor lollipop was very loose and all four arms needed to be retightened. I hope it's just the parts getting to "know" each other. I did add set screws (grub screws) to the lillipop ends and think that will help that issue.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,419 Posts
Congrats on the Maiden. wow yea that is quite high. Theres proof!! Every muti rotor well have diff setting...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Congrats on the Maiden. wow yea that is quite high. Theres proof!! Every muti rotor well have diff setting...
I really need to weigh this thing. It sure seems like its very heavy compared to my Talon V-1. Those motors are really heavy. I am thinking I will go from the 10 inche props to a set of 12 or 13 inch. The moors are 570 kva I think. (pretty close to that).
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
First Flight Video

Hey, it was dark. And scary.

Really it flew well. But when the #4 came loose it became a handful. I found all four arms loose post flight. Hint, take tools with you. And locktite. If I continue to have problems with the mounts and arms coming loose I will maybe add some adhesive to joints. Rubber cement perhaps.

Talon V-2 KK2 control 1 (5 min 32 sec)

Sudsy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:21 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Hey, it was dark. And scary.

Really it flew well. But when the #4 came loose it became a handful. I found all four arms loose post flight. Hint, take tools with you. And locktite. If I continue to have problems with the mounts and arms coming loose I will maybe add some adhesive to joints. Rubber cement perhaps.

http://youtu.be/alFSqhCbHGk

Sudsy
Same thing happen to me with that frame so I stop using it and switch to a frame with square arms. And the aluminum motor mount bend easy with hard landing. Cracked one bending back straight and stripped threading on another motor mount trying to keep it from twisting.

Also you have to let the locktite dry. I found after letting sit for a few days the screws really didn't come so loose.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Same thing happen to me with that frame so I stop using it and switch to a frame with square arms. And the aluminum motor mount bend easy with hard landing. Cracked one bending back straight and stripped threading on another motor mount trying to keep it from twisting.

Also you have to let the locktite dry. I found after letting sit for a few days the screws really didn't come so loose.

I re tightened everything with locktite. (took em all out and re installed) I also added some grub screws to the lollipops to help keep straight. I will build my own frame next.

here's another video from tonight. The #4 motor really got out of whack here. Still these things are so resilient !!!

Oh yea, Did I mention that I am taking off about half of the lights! Save all around. It's just too bright.

Talon V-2 KK2 Control 2 (1 min 57 sec)

Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:57 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,160 Posts
Y6 for a KK2

....just wanna share some pix of my Y6 ...still waiting for the kk2 board.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x no servo tri project