HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEddie View Post
I have a question, it's probably down in the thread somewhere but,
I am setting up the quad in X conf. I have 4 HK Blue Series 30a SimonK flashed ESC's. Is best to calibrate all the ESC's together or seperate? Should these be set to medium or high on the board.
Thanks
FE
Hello all. I just found this thread and am trying to read from the beginning. I'm on page 137 and it's very hard to get the info from within all the BS. I have a Talon V-1 (+ mode) that I have been flying for several months in a very small parking lot area. I have also built a Talon V-2 (X mode) and flew it for a few flights with the KK V-3 board. I now have two KK2 boards and have installed one on the V-2. I have it up and running and as soon as the rain stops I will try to fly it.

Questions.

1. At what point (page) does the discussion get to the new v2 firmware?

2. What is a SimonK flashed ESC? (I am using four Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESC's)

I must say this is one of the most active threads I have found. I am also building a micro with a foam disk for indoor flying. I am waiting for my ESC's to finish this project.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,419 Posts
This entire thread is (or at least should be) about the KK2 board. Using firmware versions 1.0, 1.1 & now the current firmware 1.2.

The KK V3, KK v2.1 and other KK boards are not a part of this discussion and have their own threads elsewhere.

Your questions can be answered in any of the simonK specific threads.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Hi Matt I flew my Tri on both original V1 and V1.2, flies the same.

I di alter all the default setting for gains to match those I had on V1, as the V1.2 defaults would be to low with my Flashed ESC's. The defaults from V1 flew fine.

Be aware the first time you lift off, just feed enough power to get it light and see if it want to yaw in one direction.

If it does it means you will need to invert the Gyro rate on Ch4 (yaw) from 100 to -100 or visa versa.

Listed under point 14 on first post Q&A.
Thanks Del! Seems I'm getting somewhere with this multirotor thing now, I'll take heed of your points, looking forward to this.

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:33 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Thanks Del! Seems I'm getting somewhere with this multirotor thing now, I'll take heed of your points, looking forward to this.

Matt
You will know right away if your Yaw gyro needs to be reversed. If you get the tricopter off the ground and it starts to spin like a tornado.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Questions.
2. What is a SimonK flashed ESC? (I am using four Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESC's)
SimonK flashed esc's are esc's that are re-flashed with firmware by an RCG member by the username of SimonK. The new firmware allows the ESC higher refresh rates and optimizes them for multirotors.

The Turnigy Plush 30A ESC's can only be re-flashed with SimonK if they have the Atmega processor on them. You would have to remove the shrink wrap to determine that. If the ESC has a SiLab processor, they can still be re-flashed but not with the SimonK firmware but another firmware. However, the Plush series ESC's are the best non re-flashed ESC's because they already have a high refresh rate than other non re-flased esc's.

The Blue series, i.e. F20A, F30A, can be flashed with the SimonK firmware.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, IL
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Hey quick question guys with the HK blueseries esc - when using the programming card, is it okay to leave the motor timing on all four motors (quad) at "AUTO TIMING"?

I did use the programming card to reverse some of the motors and also to switch the lipo cut off to nimh (so the kk2.0 can do the low battery warning)
momofx is offline Find More Posts by momofx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
SimonK flashed esc's are esc's that are re-flashed with firmware by an RCG member by the username of SimonK. The new firmware allows the ESC higher refresh rates and optimizes them for multirotors.

The Turnigy Plush 30A ESC's can only be re-flashed with SimonK if they have the Atmega processor on them. You would have to remove the shrink wrap to determine that. If the ESC has a SiLab processor, they can still be re-flashed but not with the SimonK firmware but another firmware. However, the Plush series ESC's are the best non re-flashed ESC's because they already have a high refresh rate than other non re-flased esc's.

The Blue series, i.e. F20A, F30A, can be flashed with the SimonK firmware.
Thanks, now that is some good info. This thread sure is hard to read through to catch up. I am using some motors that were pretty expensive at HK and were nothing short of a real pain to get mounted. I am thankful of my friend with the laser cutter and the plasma cutter. I will post a picture of the custom motor mounts he made for me to get these motors on the talon V-2. I have set the Plushes to High and I am waiting for weather to try to fly.

Here's the motors:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17923

Sudsy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, IL
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Wow thats some nice custom fabrication there man!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, IL
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEddie
I am setting up the quad in X conf. I have 4 HK Blue Series 30a SimonK flashed ESC's. Is best to calibrate all the ESC's together or seperate? Should these be set to medium or high on the board.
Thanks
FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
They should be set to high and should be calibrated through the kk as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
Hey quick question guys with the HK blueseries esc - when using the programming card, is it okay to leave the motor timing on all four motors (quad) at "AUTO TIMING"?

I did use the programming card to reverse some of the motors and also to switch the lipo cut off to nimh (so the kk2.0 can do the low battery warning)
Hey tech69x, I found your answer to someone else on the previous page which I think relates to my question above lol - so high timing on all then?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Ouch, they're $$$. With that low of a KV they can spin big props, which are great for stability.

Watch out for the SimonK firmware if you decide to re-flash as some of his firmware versions don't support pancake (flat) style motors. Check his thread before deciding to Simion-ize.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEddie
Thanks
FE
Hey tech69x, I found your answer to someone else on the previous page which I think relates to my question above lol - so high timing on all then?
These are the optimum settings for multirotor use of standard ESC's:

Brake Setting = OFF
Battery Type = NiMh
Low Voltage Protection = SOFT CUTOFF
Low Voltage Protection Threshold (if available) = OFF or 0
Startup Mode = NORMAL
Timing = HIGH

For more info on multirotors, see the mega index (ignore the poll at the top of the page):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

just built my first quad using this board. Very nice!

Just found one little bug:

I am using CPPM Mode and had to swap Yaw and throttle.

My TX is set to:
1 - Roll
2 - Pitch
3 - Throttle
4 - Yaw

But somehow THrottle and Yaw a switched in the KK2 board, I had to set the KK2 board to this:

Roll - 1
Pitch - 2
Yaw - 3
Throttle - 4

And after doing this it works.

Thanks for this nice board!

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
Wow thats some nice custom fabrication there man!
Here's a few more shots of the assembly process. It came together pretty nicely. The ESCs are out there with 6 inch extensions and the 12 V wires are all inside the tubes,

Sudsy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Team White Llama
USA, IL, Mundelein
Joined Mar 2005
1,057 Posts
Hey guys. Im likin the kk2. I havent upgraded the firmware. Its workin great, and I dont like auto level. So ill prob wait til ppm or gimbal output on motors 7 8 gets added.
Here is a vid of the kk2 on my iconicx fpv frame. Its fast and smooth.
Iconic-X FPV Flights Sep 2012 (7 min 24 sec)
thefokker is offline Find More Posts by thefokker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:05 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
I'll Be Quiet.

Just got two boxes of parts delivered. I'll be quiet for a little while anyway.

Sudsy