SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
I did that, but the collet style prop adapters i tried (3 different sets) were still out of balance enough to produce vibration which makes it impossible to record a video with CMOS camera.....Just frustrated with inability to reduce the amount of vibrations to acceptable level (no jello).
Once you have the props balanced (both blade and hub) place them on the motors and then re-check the balance on each motor. Balancing the prop and the motor is referred to as dynamic balancing and involves rotating the prop 15 - 45 degrees at a time to get the two balanced together. FliteTest.com did a video on it.

I am assuming by a CMOS camera you mean one of the small keychain cameras like the #16 808? The best way I have found to reduce the jello is to either mass mount (strap rigidliy) the camera to a solid object, such as the main lipo battery or to mount the camera on an anti-vibration mount of some type. I have a few videos on my youtube channel rcjoseb showing different tests. Mass mounting forces the camera to vibrate at the same rate as the LIPO pack and helps with the jello a bit,

I can say from exoerience that a camera mount that works on one quad will not work on another because each quad vibrates differently so it's best to make your own. I have used foam, rubber, silicone gel and even silicone ear plugs. Some have worked better than others.

On a DJI flamewheel I was able to completely remove the jello by mounting an additional DJI plate (the small one) above the existing plate using four screws and grommets. This isolated the new top plate from the lower plate and reduced the vibrations. I then mounted the keychain #16 camera to that using foam.

You're going to have to play with it. It's a try this, try that affair.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
Brazil, DF, Brasilia
Joined Sep 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
I like the SunnySky X2212. Got them from HiModel.com

http://www.himodel.com/electric/SUNN...r_Version.html
What prop and PI gain do you use with this motors?

Im using same motors and 9x4.7 prop but i cant find a good PI values. If i increase gain my quad dont mantain altitute, if i decrease it get unstable.
sandman_br is offline Find More Posts by sandman_br
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
222 Posts
Can the kk2 board be used for a simple aileron function with a single servo in an airplane? I am trying to set it up on the bench and I must not be connecting something right because when armed nothing happens. If I tilt the board back and forth the servo doesn't respond at all. Would someone be able to explain to me what connections are needed for just aileron control? I figured all I should need would be a single input (aileron from the Rx) and a single servo connected to one of the M outputs (which one?) and then the board itself is powered from my ESC (plugged into where?)

Thanks,
Ken
kenkamm is offline Find More Posts by kenkamm
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Hi.
Is it possible to connect lights to the kk2? For example that they blink faater when the battery reatch the low voltage alarm?
vikedal is offline Find More Posts by vikedal
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm View Post
Can the kk2 board be used for a simple aileron function with a single servo in an airplane? I am trying to set it up on the bench and I must not be connecting something right because when armed nothing happens. If I tilt the board back and forth the servo doesn't respond at all. Would someone be able to explain to me what connections are needed for just aileron control? I figured all I should need would be a single input (aileron from the Rx) and a single servo connected to one of the M outputs (which one?) and then the board itself is powered from my ESC (plugged into where?)

Thanks,
Ken
Yes ... use the HappySunday firmware for this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikedal View Post
Hi.
Is it possible to connect lights to the kk2? For example that they blink faater when the battery reatch the low voltage alarm?
Why ?

You have already a buzzer for it ... but ... yes ... it could be possible to implement it ... maybe just assign the buzzer pin to the led pin ... and recompile the firmware

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:48 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_br View Post
What prop and PI gain do you use with this motors?

Im using same motors and 9x4.7 prop but i cant find a good PI values. If i increase gain my quad dont mantain altitute, if i decrease it get unstable.
Pgain of around 150 and iGain of around 75. I am using simon k esc's.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Yes ... use the HappySunday firmware for this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

None of the included modes will work? Why not? I want to be able to use the auto level function too.

Thanks,
Ken
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,786 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Ken
Quote:
None of the included modes will work? Why not? I want to be able to use the auto level function too.

Thanks,
Ken
I still think HappySunday firmware is better ... at least he has more experience on the Aeroplane mode ...

Anyhow .... yes, there are 3 modes for aeroplanes ...

I will suggest to use Firmware 1.2 since it has some fixing on the jittering servo (Mr. KK added some filtering) ....

Anyhow , your main problem is that once you plug the ESC on the Motor 1 position, you will just power the KK board and the RX ... the servo on the other M2 to M8 will not get any power ... servo are noisy ... so these have been isolated by design, so you need a bec for power your servos.

In the mixer page you will see all the plug involved ... and you can also fix them ...

I did never try it ... so ... I don't know much ...

What it is looking like that compared to Aero2 from HappySunday ... it is not possible to select the flyght mode: normal (no assistance), stabilized/acro (gyro only) autolevel/fpv grampa mode (gyro+acc) ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:36 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I still think HappySunday firmware is better ... at least he has more experience on the Aeroplane mode ...

Anyhow .... yes, there are 3 modes for aeroplanes ...

I will suggest to use Firmware 1.2 since it has some fixing on the jittering servo (Mr. KK added some filtering) ....

Anyhow , your main problem is that once you plug the ESC on the Motor 1 position, you will just power the KK board and the RX ... the servo on the other M2 to M8 will not get any power ... servo are noisy ... so these have been isolated by design, so you need a bec for power your servos.

In the mixer page you will see all the plug involved ... and you can also fix them ...

I did never try it ... so ... I don't know much ...

What it is looking like that compared to Aero2 from HappySunday ... it is not possible to select the flyght mode: normal (no assistance), stabilized/acro (gyro only) autolevel/fpv grampa mode (gyro+acc) ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Thanks for your help. Since I only want to use this with one input (aileron) and one output (aileron servo) and I don't really want to have to learn about flashing software and everything (!), can I simply connect the power from the bec to both M1 and M2? Then the servo can be plugged in to, say, M3? Or will connecting M1 and M2 together (just pos and neg for power) damage the board?

Thanks again!
Ke
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:31 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,220 Posts
Quote:
...Or will connecting M1 and M2 together (just pos and neg for power) damage the board?

Thanks again!
Ke
It will not damage the board, but there is a good chance that the servo noise might cause the board the freeze. Not very pleasant in flight, I gather.
It is strongly recommended by guys that know, to connect a separate BEC or ESC to power the servos on which ever M2 - M8 that suits your needs.

I havent tried myself with KK FW, so I don't know where which servo should be connected.
Also, the board will probably need another input channel to

Having flown with OpenAero2, I can only praise it as being a better choice for an airplane.

Have a look at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

Safe landings,
/J

Edit: Just tried it out. It looks like you will need to connect the throttle input as, in my case, the outputs stop when the throttle is at min.
Could be fun landings with that "feature". You might also need a rudder input, but I did not test that.
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Sep 04, 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Thought about arming...
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:09 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
It is strongly recommended by guys that know, to connect a separate BEC or ESC to power the servos on which ever M2 - M8 that suits your needs.
Yes, having separate power for controller/receiver and servos is a good idea to avoid brown-outs as we know them from 2.4GHz receivers. I assume the controller has an even higher reboot voltage than most RC systems, so it becomes even more important here.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
elk
Joined May 2001
65 Posts
A question about the motor layout. I'm having trouble getting my t-copter to work. Is board location critical? Do I treat it as a Y config and mount the board in the theoretical center of the Y? Now I have the board in the center of the two front motors.
microdave is offline Find More Posts by microdave
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
MicroDave: I do not have a "t copter" but I would think FC placement would not be critical to getting it to work. I guess in an ideal world having the controllers gyros/accelerometers at the CofG would be best but certainly it would not prevent it from working. I think you have some other problem.
barfy is offline Find More Posts by barfy
Last edited by barfy; Sep 04, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
Can you power LEDs from the extra motor output pins? If not, what are other strategies for powering LEDs?
huskerwr38 is offline Find More Posts by huskerwr38
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
elk
Joined May 2001
65 Posts
Thanks Barfy. At least I can eliminate the location as a problem. I will look at something else.
microdave is offline Find More Posts by microdave