Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:34 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
It is there already ... since 1.0
What?!? How?!?
Wait, is v1.0 the one shipped by default with first batches?

PS: pardon me I was on holidays and lost track
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:08 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
What?!? How?!?

The self-level has always used accelerometers.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:17 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Quote:
What?!? How?!?

Per Mr. KK, KK2.0 board firmware have been always supporting autolevel using the X-Y accelerometer (Z is not used for this) ...

The algorithm has not been changed from 1.0 to 1.2 ... in the code commented out you may find a more aggressive implementation, but it may cause some crash in some situation (Yaw input and some special angles may bring out of "sense" the algorithm)

But ... basic autolevel is working with accelerometer with 1.0 ... and it is relative ok ... slow ... not perfect in the wind ... but does the job in most of the times (for my usage, it works always fine)

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I got one of the first KK2.0 from HK, and I had no problem ... I'm using 1.1 FW right now ... but I can't see any difference then 1.0 ... if not the menu ... and Mr. KK name every time I start the board
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:22 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
The self-level has always used accelerometers.
I obviously understood something wrong.
I remember seeing comment from KK that self-level is not fully implemented on this board. As i can see on the first page its another type of self-leveling algorithm thats promised.
So, is it possible with this hardware to achieve stable flight in such way that hands-off flying in one place is possible?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:28 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
I remember seeing comment from KK that self-level is not fully implemented on this board. As i can see on the first page its another type of self-leveling algorithm thats promised.
So, is it possible with this hardware to achieve stable flight in such way that hands-off flying in one place is possible?
I think it'll be.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:37 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
There are lots of videos in this thread demonstrating self-leveling.
Just realise that "self-level", and "in one place" are not necessarily the same thing.
A common misconception...
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:47 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
There are lots of videos in this thread demonstrating self-leveling.
Just realise that "self-level", and "in one place" are not necessarily the same thing.
A common misconception...
Yes this is correct. But It'll help hovering better.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:00 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Quote:
Yes ... somebody was very active on make lot of wrong noise over the autolevel ... stating it was not working ... stating to switch it off

And this is the result.

Some page back you can see how to hack the firmware for have a more "advanced" autolevel ... unluckily ... it also cause problem in special TX input and quad attitude ... so ... it is better in a sense , but more risky ... so ... I'm waiting if Mr. KK will get a bright idea and fix the "bug" (but the bug is only in the comment out code ... so not effecting the official firmware)

Anyhow ... autolevel is something .. position hold is something else.

FW 1.0 was having the altitude holding (not sure it is still on 1.1 and 1.2), using the Z accelerometer ... but people report to don't work fine ... as well .. altitude holding based on Z accelerometer can't be that accurate ...

Real holding, is possible only with a good GPS connected to the control board ... something is a bit outside the KK2.0 original design

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The new 41$ MultiWii board, plus/with GPS module should be able to do all the tricks (position holding, fixed "rudder", and even return to home) ... but ... don't expect a nice LCD like the KK2.0 ... and possibly KK2.0 is more for a different type of usage (for casual & acrobatic, not much for hard-core FPV) ... but can also be for cheap customer ... a control board with GPS till few "days" ago was very expensive ... still ... is almost double price then KK2.0 when the GPS need to be acquired
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:41 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Yes ... somebody was very active on make lot of wrong noise over the autolevel ... stating it was not working ... stating to switch it off

And this is the result.

Some page back you can see how to hack the firmware for have a more "advanced" autolevel ... unluckily ... it also cause problem in special TX input and quad attitude ... so ... it is better in a sense , but more risky ... so ... I'm waiting if Mr. KK will get a bright idea and fix the "bug" (but the bug is only in the comment out code ... so not effecting the official firmware)

Anyhow ... autolevel is something .. position hold is something else.

FW 1.0 was having the altitude holding (not sure it is still on 1.1 and 1.2), using the Z accelerometer ... but people report to don't work fine ... as well .. altitude holding based on Z accelerometer can't be that accurate ...

Real holding, is possible only with a good GPS connected to the control board ... something is a bit outside the KK2.0 original design

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The new 41$ MultiWii board, plus/with GPS module should be able to do all the tricks (position holding, fixed "rudder", and even return to home) ... but ... don't expect a nice LCD like the KK2.0 ... and possibly KK2.0 is more for a different type of usage (for casual & acrobatic, not much for hard-core FPV) ... but can also be for cheap customer ... a control board with GPS till few "days" ago was very expensive ... still ... is almost double price then KK2.0 when the GPS need to be acquired
Never heard or read about altitude holding with kk2.0 board.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Im on the brink of ditching these RCTimer 2820/14 motors together with the adapters and props. Seems to me i can't find adapters machined well enough to reduce the vibration. Even the adapters that are screwed directly to the motor bell are too tall multiplying vibrations. Are there any cheaper motors than DJI with similar mounting mechanism? The ones that have propellers close to the motor itself?
Reduce the length of the motor shaft by cutting it.
See if you can find collet type adapter that fits your motor shaft diameter
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:58 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by er9xuser View Post
Never heard or read about altitude holding with kk2.0 board.
For my understanding (but I never used, so I could be wrong)

Menu MISC ->
Height Dampening = 0
Height D.Limit = 30

Having Height Dampening = 0 it means it is disabled ..

But placing some good values on these two fields ... it may help to hold the altitude

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, AL, Guntersville
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
Im on the brink of ditching these RCTimer 2820/14 motors together with the adapters and props. Seems to me i can't find adapters machined well enough to reduce the vibration. Even the adapters that are screwed directly to the motor bell are too tall multiplying vibrations. Are there any cheaper motors than DJI with similar mounting mechanism? The ones that have propellers close to the motor itself?
I Power motors,gothelirc and RC Dude has them,direct replacement for DJI motors,short bolt-on prop adapters.I should have posted the exact link,here you go http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...135&cat=iPower look at 2212-15. and at RC Dude http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-24...ushless/Detail
partzee
partzee is offline Find More Posts by partzee
Last edited by partzee; Sep 04, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:04 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
Reduce the length of the motor shaft by cutting it.
See if you can find collet type adapter that fits your motor shaft diameter
I did that, but the collet style prop adapters i tried (3 different sets) were still out of balance enough to produce vibration which makes it impossible to record a video with CMOS camera.

I've got also the prop adapter which bolts on motors bell directly and two of those are acceptable but 6 others are just out of balance. With collect adapter mounted to shaft and this bell mounted adapters I still think that propeller is too far away from the motor compared to DJI type of motor mounts.

Just frustrated with inability to reduce the amount of vibrations to acceptable level (no jello).
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:22 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Quote:
I did that, but the collet style prop adapters i tried (3 different sets) were still out of balance enough to produce vibration which makes it impossible to record a video with CMOS camera.

I've got also the prop adapter which bolts on motors bell directly and two of those are acceptable but 6 others are just out of balance. With collect adapter mounted to shaft and this bell mounted adapters I still think that propeller is too far away from the motor compared to DJI type of motor mounts.

Just frustrated with inability to reduce the amount of vibrations to acceptable level (no jello).
I guess you use outrunner motor ...

I had similar issue with bad quality propeller adapters ..

The only solution is to balance the propeller with the propeller adapter on it ...

I did use a 3mm spare shaft (you need a shaft same size of you motor clearly ) ... I mount propeller and adapter ... placed on a double ball bearing support (coming from a broken motor) .... and I could easily balance the combination of propeller and adapter ... it did work relative fine for me

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Even better if you can balance the outrunner part of the motor with shaft and propeller ... in one single shot ... since a perfectly balanced propeller place just few fraction of millimetre of center ... it will be back to unbalance once on the quad
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
I like the SunnySky X2212. Got them from HiModel.com

http://www.himodel.com/electric/SUNN...r_Version.html
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose