Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
753 Posts
Hi.ive downloaded KK V2 on to one of my boards,there does not appear to be a setting for calibrating ESC's is this correct.many thank's in advance,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
Hi.ive downloaded KK V2 on to one of my boards,there does not appear to be a setting for calibrating ESC's is this correct.many thank's in advance,Marty.
Plug in your main power with your tx throttle at max (props off!) and quickly press the outer two buttons and hold them down. It will begin calibration. Wait till the esc's sing their song, then put throttle at min, and wait again till it finishes.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
753 Posts
RCbif,many thanks for that,your a star,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
I got any issue with 1.2

I have Sensor not calibrated and my Voltage is 0V

any fix?
eplu is offline Find More Posts by eplu
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Carry out a Sensor Calibration and attach a wire from the monitor point to the positive of the battery connector (see video earlier in thread).
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Plug in your main power with your tx throttle at max (props off!) and quickly press the outer two buttons and hold them down. It will begin calibration. Wait till the esc's sing their song, then put throttle at min, and wait again till it finishes.
I rewrote your instructions so I could understand them. Here's my version:

Props Off!

1. With your tx on, and your throttle at max, plug in your main power.

2. Quickly press and hold down the two outside buttons on the board.

3. The board will begin calibration. See Calibrating ESCs message.

4. Wait until esc's sing their song, then lower your throttle to zero.

5. Wait again until the board finishes the process.

I followed this procedure a couple of times. Getting the two outside buttons down before the escs start to sing their song is virtually impossible. You will never manage to do that in my opinion. Really, you have to get the buttons down AFTER the first set of tons, which is usually an ascending scale. Then, the question I have is, how long should this take? I counted to 60 before I let go of the buttons. Thereafter, the board went to the first screen. I have no idea if my ESCs are calibrated or not.

This is a very tricky process. Plus, the buttons are painful to press down!

The "manual" says:

1. Turn on your TX, throttle at full power.
2. Hold down buttons 1 and 4. (This takes two fingers of one hand.)
3. Turn on the power to the FC. (This is the problem. It takes TWO HANDS to connect the batter to the FC. Sadly, one of my hands is holding down buttons 1 and 4, which makes this step impossible for one person to accomplish.)
4. The first sentence of step 6 in the manual is garbled. What does "wait for the ESC to beep its full throttle calibrated signal" mean?????
5. After you hear the ESCs (all of them) beep their full-throttle calibrated signal, whatever that is, pull your throttle down. You can do this because you have your left hand free.
6. Step 8 in the manual is also garbled. What does "wait for the idle throttle calibrated signal," which, parenthetically, is an incomplete sentence, mean?
7. Then release the buttons, which will cause the board to go to it's Home page (I'll call it).
Corlissmedia is offline Find More Posts by Corlissmedia
Last edited by Corlissmedia; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Mark,

Press and hold the two outside buttons BEFORE you plug in the power to your copter...
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Mark,

Press and hold the two outside buttons BEFORE you plug in the power to your copter...
I would love to do this, but I don't have three hands!!!!!

Here's the reason: I have a power distribution board. It has two wires going into an XT60 connector. I have a battery with two wires going to the other side of an XT60 connector. It takes two hands to assemble that XT60 connector, which means, I have no hands to press the two buttons down. I would imagine that a lot of people are in this boat!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,125 Posts
I have heard mention of using cloths pegs to hold the buttons down
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlissmedia View Post
I would love to do this, but I don't have three hands!!!!!

Here's the reason: I have a power distribution board. It has two wires going into an XT60 connector. I have a battery with two wires going to the other side of an XT60 connector. It takes two hands to assemble that XT60 connector, which means, I have no hands to press the two buttons down. I would imagine that a lot of people are in this boat!
Buy a male and female XT60 connector and a big easy to use switch and stick them in series with your battery for calibration and testing.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
The main thing is that the ESC has to not receive pulses that would arm it after it has been powered up, or else it can't be calibrated. The KK2 board cannot send anything until after it has determined you haven't pressed the calibration buttons. kapteinkuk said he added a delay in the new firmware to help with the three hand problem, by making it delay on power-up before it looks to see if you are pressing the buttons. So, if you are quick, you can connect it, then press the buttons. I often slide together an XT60 connection enough to make contact in one hand, though...

Anyway, once the process has started, you should hear a beep or some sort of indication that the high pulse has been learned. This will vary with different ESCs. For my code, it always does the start-up beeps, and then starts looking for input. It will then beep to indicate that the full speed pulse is learned after it has received 31 pulses, which happens pretty quickly. You can then lower the stick, and it will beep twice to indicate that the idle/stop pulse length is learned. At that point, the EEPROM is written, and you can just kill the power, or whatever. If it keeps receiving low, the ESC will arm (so you'll get the arming beep after). I documented what the ESC is expecting here: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/blob/mas...nd-programming ...Most ESCs should be similar, but some will not play the starting beeps first, or take longer to learn or notice that you are trying to calibrate the throttle, etc.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
The main thing is that the ESC has to not receive pulses that would arm it after it has been powered up, or else it can't be calibrated. The KK2 board cannot send anything until after it has determined you haven't pressed the calibration buttons. kapteinkuk said he added a delay in the new firmware to help with the three hand problem, by making it delay on power-up before it looks to see if you are pressing the buttons. So, if you are quick, you can connect it, then press the buttons. I often slide together an XT60 connection enough to make contact in one hand, though...

Anyway, once the process has started, you should hear a beep or some sort of indication that the high pulse has been learned. This will vary with different ESCs. For my code, it always does the start-up beeps, and then starts looking for input. It will then beep to indicate that the full speed pulse is learned after it has received 31 pulses, which happens pretty quickly. You can then lower the stick, and it will beep twice to indicate that the idle/stop pulse length is learned. At that point, the EEPROM is written, and you can just kill the power, or whatever. If it keeps receiving low, the ESC will arm (so you'll get the arming beep after). I documented what the ESC is expecting here: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/blob/mas...nd-programming ...Most ESCs should be similar, but some will not play the starting beeps first, or take longer to learn or notice that you are trying to calibrate the throttle, etc.
Thanks for all that info. I found it very helpful. Are you involved with the whole simon-k process of converting "normal" escs to "super" escs?

Mark
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
Buy a male and female XT60 connector and a big easy to use switch and stick them in series with your battery for calibration and testing.
There's an idea, but it gives me the willies. I'm going to get a couple of mini-clamps, I think. There haven't been clothes-pins around this house in forty years!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlissmedia View Post
Thanks for all that info. I found it very helpful. Are you involved with the whole simon-k process of converting "normal" escs to "super" escs?

Mark
Lol that's funny. He IS SimonK! That's him lol
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan