SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
I've got the Kk2 with original firmware on my Turnigy Micro integrated quad and on a Bumblebee frame and can not be any happier.
Once I got the hang of the programming both quads fly great.

Seems alot of peeps have issues with this board and I must be lucky and have gotten 2 of the good ones.

Ps The Turnigy integrated flies like it's on rails. It is now my favorite small quad.
Stops on a dime, turns on a dime So much fun to fly with this board!!
And I always fly with Auto Level. It works for me.
I love this board.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:45 PM
Yonkers, NY
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Autolovel saved me twice today. I was out flying at a large field, with much more room than I'm used it. I somehow managed to let my quad get a little too far away from me and lost orientation. I started losing altitude after correcting the wrong way, so I flipped on auto level and gave some throttle. It worked perfectly and I was able to let it stabilize itself long enough to walk a little closer and regain control.

Normally I leave auto level off while flying, but I sure am glad I had it set to a switch on my transmitter.

I need to come up with some long distance orientation aids to help avoid this situation in the future. I have some LED strips on order and I'm hoping they help.
pberge is offline Find More Posts by pberge
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:37 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,462 Posts
what settings are you guys using for the autolevel? I havent really messed around with it too much, but its supposed to be better with this newest FW, so i would like to try and get it tuned...

thanks
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
add function idea

Maybe bad but because I little thing about motor and props balancing I got idea that balancing props are no problem but motor off the frame is not balanced well, so why not to add to KK2 FW function to motor rotation close look the function to able rotate only this motor by throttle, of course after warning of partial arming.
This will help to balance motor on the frame without disconnecting cables and too verify that is in good direction. Other advantages can be that can easily analyse motor run and not affraid of hitting from other motors props.
janekx is offline Find More Posts by janekx
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Hope someone can help me. I've been flying Tri's and having plenty of fun with them. I decided to try a quad so built one today. I have it flying now and it hovers great and mostly flied fine line of sight however I do have a couple of problems.
1. Yawing right is a lot slower then left and often results in instability.
2. If I pitch forward it will travel 10-15 meters or so and then level up a bit. If I pitch back it holds the attitude until I correct it.
3. When I FPV'd the quad it was almost impossible to fly. I fly much quicker with FPV so I'm guessing I will need to lower PI like I lowered the gyros on the KK1.

I will try the string and chair trick when I get a chance just to make sure its not a tuning issue.

Note - the quad is running standard ESC's with DT750's.

Thanks

Brenden
pjman is offline Find More Posts by pjman
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:27 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
OK, maybe I'm a bit harsh with the poor lad.

Best,
Chris
I dont think your being harsh Chris at all.... HK need to step up there quality control! thats if they actual have a QC

The KK2 is such a great board its a shame there QC is so sloppy apart from that this is a great FC.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
Saudi Arabia, Tabuk Province, Tabuk
Joined Nov 2005
21 Posts
Quote:
Love this board. Bought 4 already and have one more on order. But quality control sucks. Wonder if HK is using child labor to put these things together...

And this is all I have to say about this:

http://youtu.be/arYda-mb97U

Chris
You say in your video that this is right out of the box, are they now supplied with a pin soldered to the voltage in, as shown on the video?
rustymit is offline Find More Posts by rustymit
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Life After the Flash

Last night I did my first flash of the KK2 board and have run into a problem. I reviewed several of the great video tutorials in this thread and followed the instructions. I have a HK USBasp Programmer and downloaded the 2011-05-28 drivers from Fischl, then I loaded Lazy Zero’s KKmulticopter Flash Tool, and got the 1.2 Hex file for the KK2 board. After hooking everything up and running the flash tool my KK2 board came up with the new main screen with the battery voltage. At this point I was feeling pretty good.

This morning I took the KK2 board and hooked up an ESC and Battery to review the new Menu’s. When I hooked up the battery the light came on for the display, but no main screen came up. I remember people have had issues with this on other boards so I reviewed the thread again.

I have tried the following to get a display on the board:
Pressing button 4 (suggested by KK)
Pressing button 3-4 (13 times) and then button 4 twice - factory reset
Following the screen dimmer reset process on page 1 of the thread

The last thing I attempted was to re-flash the board. When I run the Flash Tool I get the following error message.
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp
firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
Error during writing flash.

Are there newer drivers for the USBasp? These are the same ones I used last night to flash the board and everything worked at that point. I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers on the PC for the USBasp Programmer and got the same message.

Anyone have any idea as to what I should try next?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAdams View Post
This morning I took the KK2 board and hooked up an ESC and Battery to review the new Menu’s. When I hooked up the battery the light came on for the display, but no main screen came up. I remember people have had issues with this on other boards so I reviewed the thread again.
Normally it's just a simple mater of unplugging the battery and plugging it in again.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAdams View Post
The last thing I attempted was to re-flash the board. When I run the Flash Tool I get the following error message.
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp
firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
Error during writing flash.
I got that message - "target doesn't answer" - when trying to flash RapidESC onto some m8-based ESCs a couple of days ago. In my case it was because I had my pins all turned around (not connected to the USB adapter in the correct order). So I think it's probably not a problem with the usb adapter or drivers for it (especially if you see the red light blink briefly when attempting to flash). Try flipping the plug around??

Apart from that you may have a bad board.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymit View Post
You say in your video that this is right out of the box, are they now supplied with a pin soldered to the voltage in, as shown on the video?
The pin was not installed, no. I took it out of the box and noticed the loose LCD parts when I was soldering the pin on it.

While I'm here, I have a question. If I flash this new board (have not used it yet) with the new firmware that is the the KK flashtool repositories, do I have to flash again with the latest fix KK posted also? Or does the file in the KK flashtool include the fix for calibration? In other words, do I have to flash the board twice? Once with the FW and once with the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sweden
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djurö
Joined Apr 2012
158 Posts
Quote:
The pin was not installed, no. I took it out of the box and noticed the loose LCD parts when I was soldering the pin on it.

While I'm here, I have a question. If I flash this new board (have not used it yet) with the new firmware that is the the KK flashtool repositories, do I have to flash again with the latest fix KK posted also? Or does the file in the KK flashtool include the fix for calibration? In other words, do I have to flash the board twice? Once with the FW and once with the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chris
From my knowledge, everytime you reflash the whole MPU memory is replaced.
There is nothing like a patch, like when you update a PC.
So, if you reflash with the latest you are fine.
tvbcom is offline Find More Posts by tvbcom
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
From my knowledge, everytime you reflash the whole MPU memory is replaced.
There is nothing like a patch, like when you update a PC.
So, if you reflash with the latest you are fine.
But when I flashed the fix on my last KK2, my settings remained. I did not lose my PI tuning. You'd think if it wasn't a patch, I would have been back to the stock PI settings, no?

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
But when I flashed the fix on my last KK2, my settings remained. I did not lose my PI tuning. You'd think if it wasn't a patch, I would have been back to the stock PI settings, no?

Chris
Expect those settings to all be stored in a different kind of memory: EEPROM, which the firmware can write small things like numbers and words into, unlike the block-oriented flash memory where the firmware itself is stored.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
827 Posts
Mounting the KK2 Board

What is the best way to mount / secure the KK2 Board to my RC Explorer TriCopter.I cut the Frame from 1/8" Model Aircraft Plywood. I believe that a hard mount may be what I need. I am building it for sport and aerobatic flying. All suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Bobby
Sixter is online now Find More Posts by Sixter