HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
TBH, sounds more like bad connection if the motors are intermittent

when I get a chance, I'll check what exactly the ESC calibration is outputting so I may be able to write with more knowledge on the subject....
Nope; the connection is fine; I was flying it last night and they responded fine after arming to both throttle increase and tilting in all directions. I didn't unplug or replug any motors on the larger quad. I agree - nutty.

Edit: Just flight-tested it briefly - flies fine.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
United States, WI, Sun Prairie
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Subtrim via the transmitter menu. Make sure that the external trims next to the sticks on the transmitter are all centered first.
Yes thank you... that is what I thought. I must investigate in greater detail the subtrim menu using Turnigy with er9x. I am not so optimistic this is the issue but I will no doubt benefit for the effort. Tenacious I am! With luck I will ultimately slap myelf in the forehead for missing the obvious!

I really just want to go back to the old firm!!!!! WHY IS THIS NOT POSSIBLE?
where do I contact the developer?
evildean is offline Find More Posts by evildean
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Hey KK please upload a video of how you compile all the assembler files you attached in kk2 v1.1 zip file to create a single hex file
I am using AVR studio 5
This is an unusual request but I have some of my hard coding peers who just improvised in some areas of your code and
I want to try it out first and then share my experiences
Please If anyone can help me with this
I'll Be grateful ...
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildean View Post
Yes! And it works perfect. I can even run the motor up individually. Works great! Then I hook it all back to the flight controller and the ESCs beep beep beep constant at about 4 per second. Turnigy Plush manual suggests this is an indication of incorrect throttle position. If I then remove the FC and connect direct to reciever all is well regarding throttle channel. Receiver test within the FC also checks out perfectly in every regard!
Verify that you have all the plugs in the correct orientation. Specifically the jumpers between Rx and the KK2.
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Joined Jun 2011
7,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
I just yanked the props off of my SK450 with simonk-flashed HK blueseries 20A ESCs and attempted calibration with somewhat odd results. The motors started intermittently starting and stopping while I had the throttle maxed - after one or more beeps from them. Even when I reduced throttle to zero I still had this problem. After I let go of buttons 1 and 4 they quit and they seem to work correctly after I armed and spooled them up. I'll have to see once I get the props back on if everything's okay, but it definitely wasn't as clean as when I calibrated them with the older KK2 firmware.

Good thing you removed the props... Geez... That doesn't sound good. I used the word "bug" earlier as to mean "problem" and I got jumped on by one of our friendly posters....
But in this case, this does sound like an actual bug in the firmware, as in "bug." I'm not going near the new firmware with a ten foot pole until this is all clarified.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Once your ESCs are calibrated they don't need to be again. You can change firmware, change the fc from KK2 to a KK1, etc and those escs are still calibrated to each other. If you fry a esc and have to replace, or take a few of them to another multirotor build, then you need to calibrate that group to each other.
If that is in fact the case I will forever cherish, and respect that bit of knowledge! Thank you
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Good thing you removed the props... Geez... That doesn't sound good. I used the word "bug" earlier as to mean "problem" and I got jumped on by one of our friendly posters....
But in this case, this does sound like an actual bug in the firmware, as in "bug." I'm not going near the new firmware with a ten foot pole until this is all clarified.

Best,
Chris
Well, after having the micro quad spin up in my face (at arm's length), I figured 8" props could do a lot more damage

I dunno, seems to work fine on both my quads for flying. This could be an issue with subsequent calibration using the same ESCs to the same throttle source (the FC in this case), but it may indeed point to a bug in the firmware (especially since it seems not to be a problem when calibrating using an RX). Could be an endpoint issue too... who knows. I know the FC throttle output uses different endpoints because it was difficult to program an ESC (cutoff and such) from the RX on my micro after calibrating it with the FC (I had to bump up my positive throttle endpoint).
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Verify that you have all the plugs in the correct orientation. Specifically the jumpers between Rx and the KK2.
Thank you for that. I have made numerous attempts in this regard, and am so certain I have the connections correct because the receiver test checks out perfectly! Every movement of the sticks coincide with exactly what is to be expected while utilizing the receiver test option. Even the Aux channel on 6 switches the Auto level function on/off.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
If that is in fact the case I will forever cherish, and respect that bit of knowledge! Thank you

That reminds me... If you change your controller, for example from a futaba to a turnigy 9x or whatever... That might be a good time to redo it as well. What you're doing is calibrating the start and end points of that group of esc to your controller (transmitter).

Other reasons why a multirotor will drift off one way or another... The CG might not be exactly in the center, not all motors are identical (when rewinding a set of 4 motors I counted as I unwound and found two with 14 turns, one with 13 and another with 11!! That makes a big difference to your kv and how much thrust each motor produces). Slight differences in esc's can be a cause. Or just downright gyro drift... or the wind... it goes on and on, lol.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for that. I have made numerous attempts in this regard, and am so certain I have the connections correct because the receiver test checks out perfectly! Every movement of the sticks coincide with exactly what is to be expected while utilizing the receiver test option. Even the Aux channel on 6 switches the Auto level function on/off.
Hmm... okay. All the esc plugs have the negative (black or brown) to the edge of the board?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sweden
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djurö
Joined Apr 2012
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Hey KK please upload a video of how you compile all the assembler files you attached in kk2 v1.1 zip file to create a single hex file
I am using AVR studio 5
This is an unusual request but I have some of my hard coding peers who just improvised in some areas of your code and
I want to try it out first and then share my experiences
Please If anyone can help me with this
I'll Be grateful ...
I rebuild KK´s assembler files using AVR studio 4, worked fine
tvbcom is online now Find More Posts by tvbcom
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike. Would an issue with the subtrims only effect operation thru the FC?
If I unplug FC and go direct to the reciever the ESCs and motors work fine!
Ok this is a shot in the dark but I would try it anyway unhook all your esc but m1 power up the board go to receiver test use your trims on the rx untill the thro is -0 on the board power down hook all esc back up power up the board and see what happens
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yonkers, NY
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
I just disproved my power sequencing theory by powering the KK board through the programming connector, waiting for the display to show "calibrating escs", then plugging in the battery to power up the escs. The result is still the same... nothing.

If I have more time later, or Monday, I can hook up an oscilloscope and look at the difference between the output of the KK board vs the direct output from the receiver.
pberge is offline Find More Posts by pberge
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Slovenia
Joined Jun 2008
80 Posts
When i put Self Leveling on and Quad starts to drift towards me (like elevator down), does that mean i didnt have KK leveld out whtn calibrating sensors?
Paps1984 is offline Find More Posts by Paps1984
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Quote:
What if the FC outputs change? Say the old FW had WOT at say 1900ms and new FW sets WOT to 2000ms?

So as a rule, if FW changes I recalibrate escs. Doesn't take long anyways.

[edited to avoid confusion... KK throttle output is essentially a pass through from the rx, so esc calibration IS IN FACT set and forget.]

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Aug 10, 2012 at 04:36 PM.