HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
That's just semantics, surely. Bottom line is a lot of people reported having the LCD stop working. For one person it was during the flashing process, for one person the board was like that out of the box, for a bunch of other people it suddenly died out of the blue, etc. In my case, mine died out of the blue a bunch of times and unplugging wires would revive it and then after a crash it never came back to life. Bug, fault, quality issue, problem, whatever you want to call it. At the end of the day, the numbers show poor reliability. Good thing the cost is only 30 bucks.

Chris
Completely unhelpful generalised comments. You spout off several unrelated possible causes for the LCD to stop working. I can get the LCD to stop working by plugging in an over discharged battery, doesn't mean it's broken.

There are multiple reasons an LCD can stop, here are some of them:

The contrast is turned down.

The micro controller hasn't reset properly due to spike when plugging in the battery.

There is no functioning firmware on the board due to an incomplete update.

The little wires have broken due to crash damage.

The display itself has broken due to crash damage.

The BEC that's feeding M1 is playing up, loose wire or faulty.

Something is pulling down the 5volt line on the board.

I am sure people can think of many other reasons.

There have been a lot of KK2 boards sold, so far they have been holding up really well, They are getting a terrific rating by customers on the HK site, and forums, if there were major problems it would be well known by now. There is always a chance there is a faulty product, but that is different than claiming there is a systemic LCD fault with no evidence.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,269 Posts
You really have a difficult time posting in a friendly manner. But anyways, I don't agree with you. There is plenty of evidence. Kk even has a mention of this fault on page 1. Many people have reported this problem and the cause is yet unknown. Kk has asked for a faulty board so he can investigate. If this is not evidence to you then so be it.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I just saw that hobby king has the turnigy 9 x for 65$ in stock
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
United States, WI, Sun Prairie
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
When you power up your throttle signal is not at zero, that's all.

It's in the Turnigy Plush manual on page 3.

Disconnect them from the FC and calibrate them again one at a time plugged into the receiver. Then plug them back into the FC, and do the receiver test to make sure the signal coming from the receiver to the FC is actually zero, when on zero throttle. If it's not, find the cause, most likely the transmitter.
Thankyou for the suggestions. I have performed the individual calibrations numerous times as you suggest and I do show zeroes in the receiver test. All channels appear to be working perfectly according to the receiver test. All trims on the transmitter are in the middle.
evildean is offline Find More Posts by evildean
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
It seems as if the FC agrees that the throttle is idle but the ESCs do not. The ESCs and motors all work correctly when I test them individually thru the receiver.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
everything worked prior to flashing new firmware. It still worked after the firmware flash, until I attempted ESC calibration thru the FC.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
The first 4 bytes of the EEPROM is a signature, unique for the two FW versions that exists. If it does not find the correct one, it does a factory reset. This is noticeable by rapid beeps and it goes direct to the sensor test screen.
Well, in that case, I can arrange for future code to deliberately corrupt that byte so that on return to KK2 code it does the factory reset?
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
You really have a difficult time posting in a friendly manner. But anyways, I don't agree with you. There is plenty of evidence. Kk even has a mention of this fault on page 1. Many people have reported this problem and the cause is yet unknown. Kk has asked for a faulty board so he can investigate. If this is not evidence to you then so be it.

Chris
Hmmm as I mentioned before, just trying to flash my software instead of the KK2 2.1 software would immediately solve the issue of whether it's a software "bug" or not. If the LCD stays blank after trying OpenAero2, then it's a hardware issue. Back to HobbyKing. Done.
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead0207 View Post
is your throttle mini trim all the way to the bottom lots of times the esc sees it as throttle input and won't do any thing. worth a try.
Thank you for the response. I have a Turnigy 9ch transmitter flashed with er9x. What are the "mini trims" i am a noob. A competent noob if that helps. I did not have any issue with trims before the kk2.0 Firmware flash.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildean View Post
Thank you for the response. I have a Turnigy 9ch transmitter flashed with er9x. What are the "mini trims" i am a noob. A competent noob if that helps. I did not have any issue with trims before the kk2.0 Firmware flash.
I think you mean subtrim. Center the trims next to the sticks on the transmitter then on the kk2 board go into the receiver test. Move the sticks around on the transmitter and observe the values displayed on the kk2 board. They should all read 0. In your transmitter go into thevsub trim menu and adjust the values for each channel up or down until the corresponding value on the kk2 board is 0
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Hmmm as I mentioned before, just trying to flash my software instead of the KK2 2.1 software would immediately solve the issue of whether it's a software "bug" or not. If the LCD stays blank after trying OpenAero2, then it's a hardware issue. Back to HobbyKing. Done.
Indeed. And as for hardware issues, KK has little to no influence over HobbyKing's quality control, I imagine. It seems to me this is a hardware problem...
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildean View Post
the throttle trim beside the stick lots of esc see anything other than to the bottom as "throttle imput" The throttle mini trim is ment for nitro throttle servo to maintain an idle on the engine.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,270 Posts
Just as an FYI, with this new firmware you may see a "No throttle input" error if you are using a spektrum transmitter and an OrangeRX receiver. The error goes away if you power on the transmitter first and then the KK2 board. It has to be the delay in the binding process of the spektrum transmitters.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:10 PM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
When you're flying fpv and getting silky smooth video from your gopro on a windy day... It IS mind blowing, lol. The difference is quite good coming from onboard video... If you're just flying LOS then yeah, it might not be a huge difference.

This was a very windy day, as evidenced by my difficulty landing on a container and there's still room for improvement, but with old unflashed esc the video would of been unusable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF6c...g&feature=plcp
So I'm watching the video and thinking "that looks like a great place to fly, wish I had someplace like that". Then I realize that's Byrom Elementary and Tualatin High School, in the town I live in. I haven't gone there to fly, but am always looking for good places. Gotta try there, I guess.

Great flying, by the way. Silky smooth, just like you said.

Gary
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Thanks for the troubleshooting tip. Maybe there should be a mention of that on page 1. All it says on page 1 now is to try pushing the menu button(and that has not worked for anyone). Up until 2 days ago, there wasn't a KK2 FW for peeps to try this.

It would be interesting to know how many warranty claims Hobby King is dealing with. Judging from the multiple reports in this thread alone, I'm guessing it's a lot.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor