HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yonkers, NY
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Is ESC calibration through the FC necessary?

I just finished assembling my quad today and almost everything seems to behave as expected. The one problem I am having is calibrating the ECS's through the KK2 board. I was able to calibrate them individually by connecting each one to the throttle channel of my receiver. But when I hold buttons 1 and 4 and attempt to calibrate all 4 at the same time, the display shows "calibrating escs" and just stays there. I held both buttons for 30 seconds and nothing seems to happen.

I'm using the KK2.0 with the newest Firmware, an orange R610 receiver and Hobby King Blueseries 30A esc's flashed with SimonK firmware.

I am able to hover, but throttle response is very jumpy. I'm not sure if this is due to poor PI tuning or the esc calibratiion.

Any ideas?
pberge is offline Find More Posts by pberge
to remove ads between posts
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildean View Post
Can I flash back to the original firmware for the purpose of troubleshooting my issue? What Firmwares are recommended for the kk2.0 LCD?
No you can't ,the only publicly available firmware for the KK2 is the 1v1 released yesterday.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Joined Jun 2011
8,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
And what exactly is this "bug"?

When I board dies during firmware flashing it's obviously not a firmware bug as the firmware is not running at the time.

That's just semantics, surely. Bottom line is a lot of people reported having the LCD stop working. For one person it was during the flashing process, for one person the board was like that out of the box, for a bunch of other people it suddenly died out of the blue, etc. In my case, mine died out of the blue a bunch of times and unplugging wires would revive it and then after a crash it never came back to life. Bug, fault, quality issue, problem, whatever you want to call it. At the end of the day, the numbers show poor reliability. Good thing the cost is only 30 bucks.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
I got my KK2 two days ago, powered it up the first time yesterday before reading the latest in this thread. While skipping through the Menus (in the Misc Settings menu) all of a sudden the screen went totally blank.

I most definitely didn't change the contrast setting manually while in the menus.

After a few power cycles, I followed the contrast reset process from post #1 exactly and the screen came back. (Phew!)

Its now flashed with 1.01, and I haven't seen it happen since.... but any ideas why the contrast setting would suddenly get zero'd?

Good luck with that. It started like that on mine. It happened a bunch of times and eventually it just stayed blank. Kaput. Semantics aside, sounds like a bug to me.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
806 Posts
Same here, I have just installed a kk2 with new firmware on my tricopter. All seems ok but i can't calibrate the ESCs despite the "Calibrating ESCs" screen when holding the outer buttons.
I have HK F20A simonized ESCs on my tri and they calibrated fine with my old kk board. For now i'm using them with the old kk board cal settings and it does seem to fly ok with absolutely no tail servo vibes (servo filter set to 50) but it would be nice to do a proper cal with the new board.
Any ideas?

Quote:
The Calibration process does not seem to occur for me... even though the menu displays "Calibrating ESCs" nothing seems to change. I can arm the FC but my ESCs continue to beep as if the throttle is not at idle, and nothing happens. In an attempt to troubleshoot, I have individually calibrated ESCs with success per the Turnigy 10a Plush instructions, yet I still only get the constant beep-beep-beep-beep-beep when powering up the FC. Am I missing something??
crezzee is online now Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pberge View Post
Is ESC calibration through the FC necessary?

I just finished assembling my quad today and almost everything seems to behave as expected. The one problem I am having is calibrating the ECS's through the KK2 board. I was able to calibrate them individually by connecting each one to the throttle channel of my receiver. But when I hold buttons 1 and 4 and attempt to calibrate all 4 at the same time, the display shows "calibrating escs" and just stays there. I held both buttons for 30 seconds and nothing seems to happen.

I'm using the KK2.0 with the newest Firmware, an orange R610 receiver and Hobby King Blueseries 30A esc's flashed with SimonK firmware.

I am able to hover, but throttle response is very jumpy. I'm not sure if this is due to poor PI tuning or the esc calibratiion.

Any ideas?
The buttons do nothing other than pass the signal from the throttle receiver through to all the ESCs at once, just like turning the yaw pot to zero on the original KK board did. Kind of a pointless function to avoid having to unplug individual wires. Best to calibrate them by plugging into the receiver channel one at a time or several at a time with a Y cable.

The ESC calibration process is rough, an will not match the thrust produced by each motor for a given throttle setting, you need a more elaborate rig to do that. You would need a thrust measurement gauge, then you would reduce the thrust of each motor to match the weakest motor's full throttle thrust, buy tweaking the transmitter trims just before entering ESC calibration mode.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:51 PM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
United States, WI, Sun Prairie
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
I really need help presumably with ESC calibration. Is there another reason why my stock Turnigy Plush 10a ESCs are only giving me the constant beeping now? The FC will arm via the throttle stick, all checks out perfect on the receiver test, but nothing when I apply throttle... just the beep beep beep of the ESCs.
evildean is offline Find More Posts by evildean
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
I guess I am in the habit of asking all the hard questions
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
It has taken two weeks to get everything needed for this project. I was able to break three props inside of my maiden flight session. Ive waited two more days for new props. while waiting I found new firmware and flashed immediately because that is my nature. Now I have props but this f in new development has got me tweaked! What have I gotten myself into? You Tube videos make this stuff look easy!!!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
It has taken two weeks to get everything needed for this project. I was able to break three props inside of my maiden flight session. Ive waited two more days for new props. while waiting I found new firmware and flashed immediately because that is my nature. Now I have props but this f in new development has got me tweaked! What have I gotten myself into? You Tube videos make this stuff look easy!!!
Haha.. welcome to the steep but addicting learning curve! Its definately worth it!
danielnc06 is online now Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
I got all the files for lazy zeros flash tool and when i go to open up the jar file...the widow flashes and it goes away...i loaded the latest java to...running win 7...what an i doing wrong?
Try using the other commnd file that has a name ending with serial.cmd. I show that file in the how to video i posted. If it still fails make sure you only have one version of java installed either 6.5 for win 64 bit or 7.5 for 32 bit. On my win 7 64 bit i have the 32 bit version installed 7.5
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
is your throttle mini trim all the way to the bottom lots of times the esc sees it as throttle imput and won't do any thing. worth a try.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:40 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Try using the other commnd file that has a name ending with serial.cmd. I show that file in the how to video i posted. If it still fails make sure you only have one version of java installed either 6.5 for win 64 bit or 7.5 for 32 bit. On my win 7 64 bit i have the 32 bit version installed 7.5
i get the message that says :

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program and batch file.

im running a 64bit system ...IE9...but when i went to the java site to get the latest ...it said that i should load the 32 bit java....grr...
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
I really need help presumably with ESC calibration. Is there another reason why my stock Turnigy Plush 10a ESCs are only giving me the constant beeping now? The FC will arm via the throttle stick, all checks out perfect on the receiver test, but nothing when I apply throttle... just the beep beep beep of the ESCs.
When you power up your throttle signal is not at zero, that's all.

It's in the Turnigy Plush manual on page 3.

Disconnect them from the FC and calibrate them again one at a time plugged into the receiver. Then plug them back into the FC, and do the receiver test to make sure the signal coming from the receiver to the FC is actually zero, when on zero throttle. If it's not, find the cause, most likely the transmitter.
Last edited by Erknie; Aug 09, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnargrc View Post
Thanks, I was not trying to set up the alarm. I do not have the alarm set up, almost deaf and the alarm is of no use to me. I was trying to use the new firmware update to show the battery voltage on the main page. I assume you are saying that I will need to set up the alarm to utilize this new function.
Thanks, John
In order for the board to detect battery voltage it must have a wire from the battery - this goes for both the voltage display on the main screen as well as the voltage alarm. The only voltage it sees without the direct battery connection is provided by the ESC's BEC on the motor connection 1 - that's 5v, which is generally pretty useless information.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax