HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
No. I will take a programming break on the KK2 now. Then I will start again with a fresh mind.
How about KK 4.7 ported to the i86
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:21 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
837 Posts
Has anyone any feedback/advice on the lp filter?? I wonder if that may help my servo wobble.
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:27 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
And what exactly is this "bug"?
When I board dies during firmware flashing it's obviously not a firmware bug as the firmware is not running at the time.
Another thing for those who think they have "bricked" KK2s...
Probably the only person who has reflashed a KK2 board more times than me is Kapteinkuk himself.

My development KK2 has been flashed at least 1000 times and still works fine, but it won't always flash. There are a number of scenarios that I found screw up the flash process.

While Lazy's flashtool works perfectly for me, it was much quicker for me during development to make a batch file that ran avrdude from the command line. No verify - double-click on the icon and burn.

Sometimes avrdude would just abort and exit as it tried to start the process, sometimes it would do this five times in a row, but I would just keep trying until it gave in.

On rare occasions it, or the driver would get all mixed up and removing and reconnecting my USBasp would solve the problem.

But one thing that would *really* piss off the programmer and/or avrdude was having a ground loop formed by externally power devices. For instance, while testing the battery monitor, I had a mains-powered power supply hooked up. I don't remember the specifics but that would lock up the programming in certain circumstances.

Similarly, having the ground clip of an oscilloscope lead attached would also bugger up the programming process on occasion.

In both the above cases, removing the external connection fixed the problem.

I don't think it is possible to "brick" a KK2 otherwise either I or Kapteinkuk would be sure to have done it by now.

For those with blank LCD screens - can you try flashing OpenAero2 on it to see if that works? You can always flash it back.

Early reports are that when the eeprom is corrupted on the KK2, you can get a blank screen. If you cannot properly do a factory reset, try flashing OpenAero2 first, to confirm that all is working. I'm fairly sure it's immune to a corrupted eeprom.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Probably the only person who has reflashed a KK2 board more times than me is Kapteinkuk himself.

My development KK2 has been flashed at least 1000 times and still works fine, but it won't always flash. There are a number of scenarios that I found screw up the flash process.

While Lazy's flashtool works perfectly for me, it was much quicker for me during development to make a batch file that ran avrdude from the command line. No verify - double-click on the icon and burn.

Sometimes avrdude would just abort and exit as it tried to start the process, sometimes it would do this five times in a row, but I would just keep trying until it gave in.

On rare occasions it, or the driver would get all mixed up and removing and reconnecting my USBasp would solve the problem.

But one thing that would *really* piss off the programmer and/or avrdude was having a ground loop formed by externally power devices. For instance, while testing the battery monitor, I had a mains-powered power supply hooked up. I don't remember the specifics but that would lock up the programming in certain circumstances.

Similarly, having the ground clip of an oscilloscope lead attached would also bugger up the programming process on occasion.

In both the above cases, removing the external connection fixed the problem.

I don't think it is possible to "brick" a KK2 otherwise either I or Kapteinkuk would be sure to have done it by now.

For those with blank LCD screens - can you try flashing OpenAero2 on it to see if that works? You can always flash it back.

Early reports are that when the eeprom is corrupted on the KK2, you can get a blank screen. If you cannot properly do a factory reset, try flashing OpenAero2 first, to confirm that all is working. I'm fairly sure it's immune to a corrupted eeprom.
Reminds of the free flight board users that accidently selected to globally erase pages when re-flashing the board with tc's baseflight firmware. He wrote a "fix" firmware that had to be used before any other firmware could be flashed back on. The boards seemed to be "bricked" or "dead" but in reality were just not responding to the current fimware.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Now I know why alarm was not working for me
30minutes ... it is an eternity ... should be no more then 1 or 2 minutes

Tchuss

E_lm_70

Ps: cppm mode, once activated I would expect that the kk2 board does not read anymore the rx signal with kept the 4 independent channels, instead it work in the same way independently by the configuration .... strange .. tomorrow I will plug my rx with cppm support ... it would have been nice to read also rssi (ppm), since most of rx that support cppm also provide rssi
Power cycle or exit main menu to apply the change in CPPM mode.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildean View Post
What happened to ESC Calibration menu in the new firmware? Am I missing something?

Many thanks for everything.
I removed the calibration text. ESC calibration is still there. (button 1 + 4 on power up)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:54 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Here it is. Enjoy and happy flashing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEErn...ature=youtu.be
1:50: I spotted the 4 dimensional USB cable!

Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:54 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post

I've used AVR ISP MK II from within AVR Studio and after 100+ flashes never had a single failure....

Methinks it's those dodgy USB programmers....
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroM'ck'y View Post
I just finished all testing... replaced the rear left esc and now temperatures are all equal for motor and escs.

Installing new firmware was a breeze on the pc, after giving up on the mac. Impossible to get the kk2 to show up on the mac.

With the new firmware, no adjustments had to be made to hover the tbs discovery i.e. 450 size. I also tried the cppm, which works but I could not get aileron to work after trying ch 5 to 8. what this could mean is only 4 ch works with my futaba anyways, therefore no auto level if I really wanted to use cppm. very cool firmware.
The CPPM algorithm decodes 8 channels. I did not get your problem, can you explain more?
Quote:

Now back to my original problem, if I fly smoothly it doesn't seem to have any motor cuts, but if i keep punching the throttle, I hear a sort of beep, like the motor is cogging/perhaps losing sync and it could be any motor that decides to cog and down it goes. I will replace the escs with f30a when I receive them and try again.
Try increasing the timing.
Quote:
Thanks for the help
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:04 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy_id View Post
Has anybody noticed the new Height Dampening setting in the kk2 v1.1?

What's up with that?
It is not new. See first post.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
1:50: I spotted the 4 dimensional USB cable!

Now I know why that cable was so expensive!!!!
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:13 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post

All the these lovely updates by Happy and KK, and then the friggin board decides to brick during flashing...
LCD backlit on, but that's it.

Tried KK factory default. No luck

No response from target when attempting to flash with LZ:s tool.
Other boards (HK3 and 2.1) respond, so USBavp seems OK.
No LED activity. +5V and +3V are good.

If someone could point me to a testpoint for the oscillator, I could check that.
Pin 7. Use a high impedance probe.
Quote:
KK, are you still interested in having a dead board for analysis?
Shipping from Sweden is on me.
Let me know in PM if so.
PM sent.
Quote:
Fortunately the second one is arriving tomorrow.

/J
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:18 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Mixed success with my firmware upgrade, but only negatives are due to me!

I got a huge amount of waggle on the yaw servo (analogue)
Have you set the LP to 50? If so, try 90 and up to 99.
Quote:
and played with the PI values, to no avail - simply because I really need to read bout how they work! I suspect the rear motor had started to de-mag due to overheating now - but that is my fault for flying too long without having dialed out the waggle I guess.

I'll research how to fine tune the PI before I try again - I'm sure I have seen some good guides on here. Plus, also look for a digital servo as I understand that may help?

When it flew, it felt a lot better than the original HK board, even with the waggle!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
I was up last night till about 2:30 AM working on the KK2 flashing video, etc. and this message came up all of a sudden. This has to be a new feature programmed in by Rolf to placate our spouses who complain about us staying up all night long working on our multrotors. Is there a time adjustment on this?

hehe
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
C'mon Man!
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
Anyone know where I can get the drivers for Windows XP for USBasp? Hobbyking has a list that includes Windows 7. Can someone point my in the right direction. Thanks.
georgez is online now Find More Posts by georgez
RCG Plus Member